Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: JBL 250Ti Jubilee

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2020
    Location
    Netherlands (Hoeksche Waard)
    Posts
    11

    JBL 250Ti Jubilee

    Ok!!! SWMBO has agreed on a possible purchase of a pair of 250Ti Jubilee.

    Tomorrow I'm going for a listening session, there is a refoamed pair for sale in the Netherlands. Should I bring my own amp? Are they critical to amps? Mine gives 30 W/ch A class, 133 W/ch A/B...

    Oh I'm so excited. Never ever thought these monsters would be in my future!!

  2. #2
    Senior Member HCSGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Bend, OR
    Posts
    726
    If the seller has a reasonable sounding room, and you are really familiar with your amp, bring it. Iím sure youíve already read it, but hereís a link to another thread regarding swapping the 050ti tweeter:

    http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...ubilee-options

    It is safe to assume that the damping foam in the pair you are considering is no longer damping fully, though the foam may still be touching the tweeter. As you may have learned, these tweeters are almost impossible to remove without doing damage to the adhesive plate that covers the screws. Unfortunately, you have to assume that if the foam isnít bad now, it will definitely be in the next decade, so during the time of your ownership you will need to address this. I have a pair of Century Gold with the same tweeter, and I have not been brave enough to try to remove the tweeter yet.

    It can be very difficult to tell if the damping is bad without a good pair to compare them to, or a very good memory of their sound, neither of which you have. If the damping is bad, the speakers will sound brighter (more high frequency), but not as detailed, as the tweeter is ringing. If the sellerís room is very live (acoustically reflective), it will be impossible to hear HF detail.

    So, if the sellerís room is reasonable, and you like the sound, buy them, knowing it will only get better someday when you re-foam the tweeters. However, if you are not happy with the HF detail, and you are not excited at the challenge of fixing the tweeters, pass on them and try to find a pair of Ti10k or Ti8k - the Audax tweeter in those models is amazing - I think the best HF detail of any JBL speaker Iíve heard (and is not foam-damped).
    That the internet contains a blog documenting your life does not constitute proof that your existence is valid. Sorry.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2020
    Location
    Netherlands (Hoeksche Waard)
    Posts
    11
    Thanks for your reply. I donít know the shop Iím going to visit tomorrow, wether their room is sufficiently damped or not. I will definitely pay attention to the tweeter, but my hearing already stops at 12kHz... age and, well, turbulent musical past ...

    I will bring my amps as I want to see how well they can control the speakers at my preferred listening volumes and yes I will bring my own vinyl!.

  4. #4
    Super Moderator jblnut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Central Mass
    Posts
    912

    Not necessarily...

    I too had always read (and believed) that the old foam - once worn out - would result in less damping and therefore a brighter sound. This is not what I actually experienced. I sent my 044Ti's out to a well known and well respected speaker fixer (GordonW) and what I got back ended up being even brighter than what I had sent him.

    The reason ?

    The foam can also disintegrate then fall down into the edge of the diaphragm where - over time - it can congeal again into a mass-damping ball of "goo" for lack of a better description. This was reducing the output and clarity of the driver. Once cleaned up it returned to factory specs and the output was a good deal stronger without the mass of congealed foam.

    jblnut

  5. #5
    Senior Member HCSGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Bend, OR
    Posts
    726
    Quote Originally Posted by jblnut View Post
    I too had always read (and believed) that the old foam - once worn out - would result in less damping and therefore a brighter sound. This is not what I actually experienced. I sent my 044Ti's out to a well known and well respected speaker fixer (GordonW) and what I got back ended up being even brighter than what I had sent him.

    The reason ?

    The foam can also disintegrate then fall down into the edge of the diaphragm where - over time - it can congeal again into a mass-damping ball of "goo" for lack of a better description. This was reducing the output and clarity of the driver. Once cleaned up it returned to factory specs and the output was a good deal stronger without the mass of congealed foam.

    jblnut
    Good point - mine have never gotten that far. I'll take brighter, as long as it's damped and detailed Correction - I have some NHT's in the closet that have gone to that point, I'm just not in such a hurry to pull them apart.
    That the internet contains a blog documenting your life does not constitute proof that your existence is valid. Sorry.

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2020
    Location
    Netherlands (Hoeksche Waard)
    Posts
    11

    Cool I want them!!

    So last night I went to this superb audio shop. Man, they have ALL the beauties we all dream of, but only one pair of JBL. The 250Ti Limited, for the matter...

    I brought my own amps and after installation and half an hour warming time (yes, these amps really need that) the session went off.
    One of the store emps, a young guy, assisted me the first 10 minutes and I let him choose a few of his favourites. He was really impressed by the performance of my almost 40 year old amps. And so was I. He left and I played a couple tracks I like and know particularly well (Yasmin Levy, Agnes Obel, Mighty Sam McCain and a Dutch singer, Frank Boeijen, of which a few incredible good recorded tracks are around. It was goosebumps with each new track. The occasional tear as well. These speakers moved my soul big time.

    And then I continued with my beloved 'dance classics', including tracks like Donna Summer's I feel Love (my all time no. 1), several Patrick Cowley, Sylvester, Paul Parker, Divine, Lime, Kat Mandu, Shirley Lee Ralph, but by then I had switched to vinyl already. To my surprise the vinyl had just a tad more control in the low end, streamed Divine Native's Love did some nasty things in the sub low's (the only track I discovered this behaviour), but the vinyl version was flawless. We moved on with Gat Decors Passion, Master C&J's Face It and some more of that style (old school House from Detroit). Oh another favourite is E.G. Daily's Love in the shadows. It has LOWs I was not able to reproduce on all speakers I have owned till now.

    I was back in the clubs like it was 1985. Man. What an output. What a CONTROL!!! What an 'air' and 'lightness' even with all these dance classics. The amp played all evening in class A and didn't sniff or snooze. Full control. Full of detail even at insane levels. I am so impressed by this combo...

    I got tears in my eyes, goosebumps and wanted to dance.

    Tomorrow they will arrive in my living room so I can test them in my own environment for a week. The physical dimensions of the auditing room are even a tad smaller than my living room.

    Name:  All Photos - 1 of 1 (2).jpg
Views: 357
Size:  78.6 KB

    Name:  All Photos - 1 of 1 (1).jpg
Views: 326
Size:  83.2 KB

    Name:  All Photos - 1 of 1.jpg
Views: 326
Size:  65.5 KB

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    1,879
    That's great that you are getting such a thorough audition with your own gear.

  8. #8
    Member clwinbe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    62
    Quote Originally Posted by Henri View Post
    So last night I went to this superb audio shop. Man, they have ALL the beauties we all dream of, but only one pair of JBL. The 250Ti Limited, for the matter...

    I brought my own amps and after installation and half an hour warming time (yes, these amps really need that) the session went off.
    One of the store emps, a young guy, assisted me the first 10 minutes and I let him choose a few of his favourites. He was really impressed by the performance of my almost 40 year old amps. And so was I. He left and I played a couple tracks I like and know particularly well (Yasmin Levy, Agnes Obel, Mighty Sam McCain and a Dutch singer, Frank Boeijen, of which a few incredible good recorded tracks are around. It was goosebumps with each new track. The occasional tear as well. These speakers moved my soul big time.

    And then I continued with my beloved 'dance classics', including tracks like Donna Summer's I feel Love (my all time no. 1), several Patrick Cowley, Sylvester, Paul Parker, Divine, Lime, Kat Mandu, Shirley Lee Ralph, but by then I had switched to vinyl already. To my surprise the vinyl had just a tad more control in the low end, streamed Divine Native's Love did some nasty things in the sub low's (the only track I discovered this behaviour), but the vinyl version was flawless. We moved on with Gat Decors Passion, Master C&J's Face It and some more of that style (old school House from Detroit). Oh another favourite is E.G. Daily's Love in the shadows. It has LOWs I was not able to reproduce on all speakers I have owned till now.

    I was back in the clubs like it was 1985. Man. What an output. What a CONTROL!!! What an 'air' and 'lightness' even with all these dance classics. The amp played all evening in class A and didn't sniff or snooze. Full control. Full of detail even at insane levels. I am so impressed by this combo...

    I got tears in my eyes, goosebumps and wanted to dance.

    Tomorrow they will arrive in my living room so I can test them in my own environment for a week. The physical dimensions of the auditing room are even a tad smaller than my living room.

    Name:  All Photos - 1 of 1 (2).jpg
Views: 357
Size:  78.6 KB

    Name:  All Photos - 1 of 1 (1).jpg
Views: 326
Size:  83.2 KB

    Name:  All Photos - 1 of 1.jpg
Views: 326
Size:  65.5 KB
    Oh to dream a dream...(lucky $&#&)

  9. #9
    Senior Member DavidF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Sonoma County CA
    Posts
    939
    Quote Originally Posted by Henri View Post
    "...
    Tomorrow they will arrive in my living room so I can test them in my own environment for a week. The physical dimensions of the auditing room are even a tad smaller than my living room."
    Very good idea to listen in your own room. The only disadvantage in the aural presentation I noted was some amount of stratification of sound top to bottom. In other words, the image may vary a bit vertically due to the spacing of drivers on the baffle. Close-in listening increases the sensation. No problem at about 3 meters, or further out, for me.

    Enjoy....
    David F
    San Jose

  10. #10
    RIP 2021 SEAWOLF97's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    in "managed decline"
    Posts
    10,125
    Quote Originally Posted by clwinbe View Post
    Oh to dream a dream...(lucky $&#&)
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

  11. #11
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2020
    Location
    Netherlands (Hoeksche Waard)
    Posts
    11
    Ok, now theyíre mine. These are a welcome upgrade in my set. VERY pleased with them. One of the most fun (and maybe best...?) speakers Iíve ever heard.

    Too bad my head is filled with Ďsnotí due to covid... Only slight issues fortunately.

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    1,879
    Congrats and now shake that bug - don't want you kicking the bucket now that you have the speakers!

  13. #13
    Super Moderator jblnut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Central Mass
    Posts
    912

    Congrats !

    Now the journey begins :-)

    jblnut

  14. #14
    Administrator Mr. Widget's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    10,995
    Quote Originally Posted by Henri View Post
    Ok, now theyíre mine.
    Great! Enjoy!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Henri View Post
    Too bad my head is filled with Ďsnotí due to covid... Only slight issues fortunately.
    Get well soon... having a congested head is a real downer for audio enjoyment, Covid-19 has been a real downer period!


    Widget

  15. #15
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2020
    Location
    Netherlands (Hoeksche Waard)
    Posts
    11
    Thanks guys. Weíll be back in shape within a few days I hope!

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. The JBL 250, 250TI, & 250TI Jubilee Club
    By Storm in forum Lansing Product General Information
    Replies: 44
    Last Post: 02-15-2017, 07:01 PM
  2. 250ti jubilee
    By Brian DK in forum Lansing Product Technical Help
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-05-2005, 03:32 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •