Quote Originally Posted by RMC View Post
Hi Steve,

No horns, except for some horn tweeters on the sound reinforcement boxes

XO frequency to the satellites typically around 250-300hz

Satellite boxes often house a 5 1/4" plus a dome tweeter for hi-fi cabs, and a 6" plus a dome in a horn tweeter for sound reinforcement satellites

But there are exceptions to the above, since i have some larger satellite boxes, like an SR pair having a 10" with a special cone and a dome in a horn tweeter, with the latter being able to be crossed over as low as 1500hz with a steep slope since it has an Fs of 750hz (pretty low for a 1" dome). Regards,

Richard
Hi Richard,
That sounds like a solid design. I also am generally using 1” soft dome tweeters (direct radiating). The maximum size mid-range that I use is 6.5”. It seems to sound best if the mid-range is capable of generating frequencies that extend 1 octave beyond (past) X-O frequency (for all drivers). Some companies use plastic cone mid-range / mid-bass drivers but to me they don’t sound articulated (lacking in upper mid-range transients). Maybe other people don’t agree but that is my personal experience. I use traditional paper pulp mids.

My audio passion recently is designing full range towers that measure (relatively flat) from 20Hz to 20Khz. Most people don’t see the need to go below 40Hz but when I listened to speakers that extended approximately to 20Hz, I realized that it is an experience that I appreciate.