Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Metregon modification

A love/hate relaionship

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    Are you in love with the look of the Metregon? I’m confident that if your goal is superlative audio performance the design of the Metregon with its required bent mid horns and bass cabinet design, you’ll never achieve performance equaling that of many other designs.

So, if the aesthetic design of this speaker is a driver, I would add DSP at a minimum and going tri-amped with DSP will allow you the ability to get the most from this speaker.

Widget
    Ok, hate is a little harsh. I do love the aesthetics of the Metregon which I lovingly refer to as a manatee at times, impressively large but not too elegant (at most things).
    In my last post about it I was seeking opinions about solving problems by our previous house, large vaulted ceilings, windows and cement slab foundation. At the time I played with an ADC SS-525 X sound shaper EQ which I had on hand which improved the low end but sucked the life out of the midrange. I've never used any "smarter" processing units but I would guess they might be thrown into a tailspin when analyzing the effects of the front refractor panel when assessing the system. I fear doing to much to where I lose where the Metregon shines, vintage jazz.
    I appreciate the input. I'll likely play around with components I currently have and experiment with crossovers.

Quote Originally Posted by roads31 View Post
    Ok, hate is a little harsh. I do love the aesthetics of the Metregon which I lovingly refer to as a manatee at times, impressively large but not too elegant (at most things).
    In my last post about it I was seeking opinions about solving problems by our previous house, large vaulted ceilings, windows and cement slab foundation. At the time I played with an ADC SS-525 X sound shaper EQ which I had on hand which improved the low end but sucked the life out of the midrange. I've never used any "smarter" processing units but I would guess they might be thrown into a tailspin when analyzing the effects of the front refractor panel when assessing the system. I fear doing to much to where I lose where the Metregon shines, vintage jazz.
    I appreciate the input. I'll likely play around with components I currently have and experiment with crossovers.
    One of the nice free gifts that you typically find in a DSP is parametric EQ. This allows you to exactly home in on problem ares and foresically adjust the parameters of the filter you are using.. This is like having good optics on a target rifle.

Can i suggest that you download the sofware for one of the popular DSP units and have a play around. Most are shift on the fly as it were.
    I have the XTA DP226 software resident on my computer , it's not clunky and the graphics are very intuitive M
    You should be able to grab DBX 260 software. Both of the above have been superceeded but as a free learning tool , invaluable.

Regards M

...At the time I played with an ADC SS-525 X sound shaper EQ which I had on hand which improved the low end but sucked the life out of the midrange.
    I am not familiar with this EQ, but from my experience with both analog and digital units, if you use too much correction you always suck the life out of the sound. Buying the world’s best DSP won’t fix this. With care though, you can move acoustic mountains with these things.

Widget

Update

Hey all-

Yesterday I set up the Metregon with an active crossover., something I was always curious about. I have a McIntosh 2105 driving the woofers and the LE85's being driven by a McIntosh MA6100. I really like the results. No, I didn't solve what I perceive to be the challenges of the refractor panel but certainly improved the overall sound. The bass more defined and tighter, better definition and taming of the LE85's.
    Because the Metregon for me will never be a sit in front of for critical listening system, I'm done tweaking.

Look at the DBX 360.

You can down the control software and demo it on your computer or if you have an iPad load the app and take a look it in the virtual mode.

Dbx360

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Caldwell View Post
    Look at the DBX 360.

You can down the control software and demo it on your computer or if you have an iPad load the app and take a look it in the virtual mode.
    Hey Mike- Thanks for the recommendation but I think I'm done. If my system was set up in a room specifically for listening I'd probably consider that route but it's not, the only wall for this to reside is across from a dining table in a large room and with the Metregon being the weird beast that it is, trying dial it in any further just won't enhance the listening experience. I am glad I tried bi-amping with the active crossover, it was a big improvement.

Hey Mike- Thanks for the recommendation but I think I'm done. If my system was set up in a room specifically for listening I'd probably consider that route but it's not, the only wall for this to reside is across from a dining table in a large room and with the Metregon being the weird beast that it is, trying dial it in any further just won't enhance the listening experience. I am glad I tried bi-amping with the active crossover, it was a big improvement.

Taking bi-amping or tri-amping to the next level with a DSP with a speaker like the Metregon would let you truly time align the drivers. I have never listened to a Metregon but I'm sure it would really bring it to life so to speak.
    Horn loaded speakers I have listen to after being time aligned made for a noticeable improvement.

Actually time aligned front loaded speakers sound better.
    In the case of my PA system cabinets the high frequency drivers are on horns putting the drivers deeper in the cabinets so the mids and or lows are delayed back to the high frequency driver.

Using SMARRT or REW lets you know when your there with the delay.

Hey all-

Yesterday I set up the Metregon with an active crossover... I really like the results... I'm done tweaking.
    Sounds like success to me. Spin or stream your favorites and enjoy the music!

Widget

Thread Information