Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Opinions wanted: 240Ti vs L-150A

Please don't take a nice pair of vintage speakers and butcher them. Leave them be and make new cabinets.

Rob
    "I could be arguing in my spare time"

Hi Rob & Jeff! I do see your point, the question is how to make them sound the best. The 044Tis in mine are as old as any other 044Ti, and are in need of service to perform the best, they are in "original state", according to seller. I have some frequencies in their range which makes me go "hm", but can't tell why. Sourcing "as new" 044Tis seems difficult... New SB29BNCs?

As for building - I wish. But my workshop is limited, and don't have the tools needed to do a proper job. If I was building, I'd build M2s, I think .

But as the Stones are singing in the background "you can't always get what you want". I need good sound more than a museum, so maybe I have to choose (even if I want both). Waveguides would be invisible with grilles on .

Quote Originally Posted by Dagfinn View Post
    The 044Tis in mine are as old as any other 044Ti, and are in need of service to perform the best, they are in "original state", according to seller. I have some frequencies in their range which makes me go "hm", but can't tell why. Sourcing "as new" 044Tis seems difficult... New SB29BNCs?.
    044Ti Replacements are almost "unobtainable" ... It really is not that difficult to replace the foam in them before trying to find a suitable substitute.

a good thread on this procedure.

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...ght=044ti+help
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

JBL have previous in this regard.

Name:  l200t.jpg
Views: 972
Size:  72.7 KB

Quote Originally Posted by duaneage View Post
    I would vote for the 150a since the woofers are my favorite. I've designed systems with both woofers and think the 128h offered better performance, lower F3 and smaller cabinet. The 150 is unique as a passive radiator system hence the larger enclosure.

Just my opinion that's all.
    Quote Originally Posted by grumpy View Post
    My thought is that 70w/channel might not wake up the L150A.
    I used a similarly powered integrated amp, that also doubled its power into 4 ohms, and was surprised at the difference when I replaced it with a 200w/ch separate amp. No ear-bleeding levels were involved.

I have not noticed this same effect with the 240Ti. Both are enjoyable. The L150A cabinets are more interesting looking, with the sculpted grilles.
    ...Picked up the 240s today, and have only played a few albums, yet enough to have a nice warm feeling inside and a big smile on my face .

Authority, finesse, resolution, depth... power. Can't really play loud yet, but power/sensitivity seems no problem. What they deliver on lower volumes levels is just right, and some of what I've been missing, perhaps.

Well see about stands or platform, for the moment they sit on boxes bringing tweeters to ear height, some distance out from walls both rear and sides. Quite pleasing so far, I'll leave them there for a while. And the veneer looks even better than the pics in the ad, so I'm happy about that too .
    As an owner of a pair of L150A's, my vote was for the 150A's. Too bad I'm late to the party.. Not sure I'd want to spend $1,700 on a set unless they were mint but like Duane and grumpy said, the 128H is a damn fine woofer, but also, you need lots of power to properly drive a set. I've discovered by running twin Adcom GFA 555II's bridged (600wpc) is the ticket.

To express my favor of the L150A's, this past summer I went on a quest to try and replace them. Didn't really want to give up my Marantz gear so I tried more sensitive speakers, Klipsch. The L150A's battled Cornwall I's, Forte I and II's and then finally a set of JBL XPL200's. The L150A's lost their crown only to the XPL's. There is just something magical about the titanium tweeter, mid and running them vertically bi-amped. However, at the same time, I found that bridging those Adcoms to drive the JBL's was just F'in outstanding. They aren't as articulate in the upper registers or smooth or detailed in the mids but that's not trying to knock them, just nuances I noticed between the XPL's and the L150A's. However, that 128H in that cabinet with ~58g of mass on each PR300 (Factory is ~40g) the dig deep and are more accurate than the 2214H in the XPL200, especially above 100hz. This, at loud levels, more than makes up for the difference. So based on what you're listening to, a set of L150A's would treat you right and they do indeed look cool. An example of this extraordinary performance in the lows was provided by none other than the Beatles, "Honey Don't." It was so damn good I had to listen to it twice to fully appreciate Paul's bass plunkin'. Oh and of course, "Mercury Blues" by Steve Miller. I would have tried running the bridged Adcom's with the XPL's but minimum is 8 ohms and those are a 6 ohm system. Currently trying to figure out which older amps (because I can't afford new) will work with them. 200wpc from the Adcoms isn't enough...

EDIT: I really wanted to and still want to try out a set of Klipsch Chorus II's, JBL L100T3's and JBL 240ti's. Just before I got the Klipsch's there was guy locally (turns out he's also a member here) who was selling his but later parted them out. I passed because they didn't have the original poly 104H mids, maybe I shouldn't of. Another dude was selling a set of 100T's but the woofers didn't look right and he wanted too much. Although given I've tried the XPL's, I don't think I need to audition a set of L100T3's. SE Michigan is a dry spot for JBL gear as well as audio stuff in general. I had to drive down to Ohio just to get the XPL's and that guy met me halfway! Can't thank him enough. Think his name was Tom, maybe he's a member here. Only sold the set I bought because he had XPL 200A's. Said he couldn't notice a difference in sound between them but one set had to go so..
    Last edited by DerekTheGreat; 01-07-2021 at 10:13 AM. Reason: Moar content.

Thanks Derek & seawolf . I've seen the repair thread, very nice (and somewhat scary). I'm considering buying a spare 044Ti to practice on or as backup, but so far no luck. The 150As are still for sale, now $1500, and wouldn't I like them too, but economy and space prohibits.

So I'm considering both a passive and active solution - thanks mac for all your help !

But it's not going to happen quickly. I may do the tweeter service route first, if I can find a spare for a decent sum. But waveguides are clearly tempting!
    Last edited by Dagfinn; 01-18-2021 at 03:24 PM. Reason: wrong attachment

Glad to help , good to see you back on your feet. Did Mats get in contact with you ?

Thanks mac, being sick with something which isn't covid is not top priority in healthcare these days . Didn't hear from Mats?

Thanks Derek & seawolf . I've seen the repair thread, very nice (and somewhat scary). I'm considering buying a spare 044Ti to practice on or as backup, but so far no luck. The 150As are still for sale, now $1500, and wouldn't I like them too, but economy and space prohibits.

So I'm considering both a passive and active solution - thanks mac for all your help !

But it's not going to happen quickly. I may do the tweeter service route first, if I can find a spare for a decent sum. But waveguides are clearly tempting!
    You're welcome! Thanks for reading my rant lol. Are you talking about my 128H's repair thread? OH boy, that was definitely a nightmare. I was close to setting the JBL's on fire or selling them. Glad I didn't though! They're keepers. See if the one guy selling his L150A's will take $1,100? You miss every shot you don't take...

Actually Derek, I was thinking of seawolfs 044ti thread, but I'd like to see your 128H repair too? I have much to learn, for sure...

The 150As, I talked to him before buying the 240s, and he said he had rejected a lower offer than current price. But I'm quite certain I would have been happy with them too .

Today I'm playing my 1976 Technics SL-150 with same age SME 3009 S2i tonearm with FD-200 damper. Cartridge is 1982 Signet TK7Ea, but with Audio Technica ATN150Mlx boron/ML stylus from mid 1990s. Phono stage is 1987 Electrocompaniet EC-1 MM/MC, powered by my 2015 Abrahamsen.

Listening to Paul Simons One Trick Pony, soundtrack but with many "live" tracks and Eric Gale plays a great guitar. One great thing about the 240s, I can play quietly, and still have a proper bass with tone, bassdrum kick and real dynamics in the instruments, with imaging and depth...

If you haven't yet, try listening to Dire Straits "Brother in Arms" album. Great dynamics. I also like listening to Stevie Winwood's Higher Love. I would indeed like to see if the 14" woofer in the 240ti has any advantage over the 12" woofers in either my XPL200's or L150A's. The 240ti's are probably a better bet than the L150A's sonically. But as for appearance? Oh man, I love that white woofer, the aluminum edges of the drivers, veneer and flat black face the L150A's sport. I'm still somewhat searching for an affordable set of 240Ti's...

Unfortunatley I don't have vinyl versions of those album, may have to do something about that. I worked in a record shop when Brothers in arms was released, and got a serious overdose at work, never bought the album on vinyl . Higher love is maybe the only album I can remember ever buying on cassette, for Christmas on the marked in Anjuna in Goa, India, 1986. A used walkman with assorted cassettes, and Steve Winwood was a clear winner. Back in the high life was a big hit on the porch in the jungle! Still a hit in my book !

CD will do, that's how I listen. I do have a turntable but I don't rock out when I play records. I have yet to do vinyl vs CD. Although the videos I have watched show that from a technical/engineering standpoint, they're the same. CD's actually get the edge, especially DVD's and Blu-Ray's being able to sample at 48/96khz.

It's one of those (whatstheword), I record digital only but prefer to listen to music from vinyl... . But really, quality of mastering for CD varies a lot, some is good, some not so good. Also, while the DACs are good, those first analog circuits after the DAC vary in quality. I'm ready to use DSP, so I'm not anti-digital. I'm anti lossy compression, though. (Some reference digital files here http://www.2l.no/hires/index.html? . Check out Arnesen: MAGNIFICAT 4. Et misericordia
    Nidarosdomens jentekor & TrondheimSolistene).

Trimming M2 horns? This looks cheap? https://reconingspeakers.com/product...l-m2-5032754x/
    Name:  JBL_240Ti_M2.jpg
Views: 880
Size:  152.8 KB
    Last edited by Dagfinn; 01-23-2021 at 03:58 AM. Reason: trimming attachment

Thread Information