Quote Originally Posted by Dagfinn View Post
It's one of those (whatstheword), I record digital only but prefer to listen to music from vinyl... . But really, quality of mastering for CD varies a lot, some is good, some not so good...
I'd wager to say that comes down to the cartridge used on the turntable.. And those get crazy out of hand cost wise. I've got an Ortofon blue, and that's right at the cap of what I'm going to spend considering how little I use my TT. I feel fortunate though, that I bought my Denon DP 42F right before the hipsters made them cool again and thus increased the entry price.

CD quality does indeed vary, so too does vinyl pressing. My older friends would always say they exchanged lots of records two or three times due to bad pressings. Mixed bag for sure. What I like most about records is how intimate/involved the experience is. You really end up looking at the jackets, the record and most of all, engaging with the people around you. Hunting down second hand records is fun too. All of the digital music I mess with I do with lossless formats as well. Can't help the digital music I already have though. Although I can't always tell the difference, especially on modern MP3 recordings. When I do, I usually notice a higher noise floor and more fuzz in the upper registers.