Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Opinions wanted: 240Ti vs L-150A

Opinions wanted: 240Ti vs L-150A

Hi all! First post here, I hope you can help me. I'm a long time JBL owner, I guess since mid 90s'. Now it's time for some proper vintage, and two different sets have sparked my interest.

One a set of 240Ti with recent refoam of woofer otherwise original, which looks decent. The other a set of L-150A, also original elements with possible refoam of woofers. Looks good.

Of course, I should go hear them, but circumstance prohibits. The 240s looks better, but the 150s are technically more tempting (and twice the price).

So I wonder, any impressions on these two models? Comparisons or tips, advice?

Regards,
    Dagfinn

Hi

I would choose 240ti. They have newer drivers.

In my opinion the best in this cabinet size.
    43XX (2235-2123-2450-2405-CC 3155)5235-4412-4406-4401-L250-18Ti-L40-S109 Aquarius lV-C38 (030) 305P MkII

Quote Originally Posted by Odd View Post
    Hi

I would choose 240ti. They have newer drivers.

In my opinion the best in this cabinet size.
    Agreed. 240ti is a sleeper in the JBL range from that era. Superb bass driver.

I would vote for the 150a since the woofers are my favorite. I've designed systems with both woofers and think the 128h offered better performance, lower F3 and smaller cabinet. The 150 is unique as a passive radiator system hence the larger enclosure.

Just my opinion that's all.
    Why buy used when you can build your own?

I have to assume that across the Atlantic either of these must be rather rare.

Beyond the normal advice to purchase both and then make the determination for yourself, let me suggest that if the L150A costs double the 240ti then you'd either be over-paying for the L150A or stealing the 240ti.

I've owned my L112s since they were new. Nearly 40-years. I never thought of them as even superior to my 030 system I've owned for 20-years longer, but some of that is what you get used to. And my primary system is now 4345 so nothing else really stands a chance. I also own a pair of L150A, too, but really haven't used them much. And I have a pair of 250tis and a pair of L96s, so I'm experienced with most of the components of the two systems you are contemplating. I always loved the L96 and the L112 for the non-tiring nature of the phenolic tweeter. They really don't ever sound bad in any environment of on any type of material. The later titanium iterations of the 044 tweeter require superior program material quality to not occasionally become tiring to the ears. I'd have to say your enjoyment might depend on what you listen to, and whether the quality of the source is more important than simply listening to your favorite music complete with any flaws that exist in those recordings.

Obviously the L150A requires some space commitment, but to properly hear the 240ti you'll need to elevate them anyway, so that's not really an issue. They have a somewhat equal footprint. Then there's whether you like the deep base provided by the more modern 240ti woofer versus the nice balanced low-end of the older 128. And then also whether the bass coloring from a passive radiator hits you the same way as the more direct single cone. You likely won't dislike either but side-by-side your favorite may be determined by what you listen too, and where in the room you can place either. Remember the 240ti has a rear port which requires placement away from back walls and must be elevated to get the tweeter to ear-level and to keep the woofer from too much barrier reinforcement. The L150A is more self-contained and will pretty much play well wherever you place it.
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Thanks for your responses, it helps a lot . It clearly makes it much more attractive to give the lower cost 240s a shot. They do look good, space is there... .

Located Norway, in the same area as Odd (you've maybe seen them on Finn.no, Odd). I'm not too familiar with the marked, but prices do seem high for some objects. I got back into vinyl a year ago, and revived my E100 Northridges from storage. After a year of rebuilding a vintage vinyl system and discovering a passion for vintage hifi, I thought these speakers now are ready to be replaced. I used to want an indestructable rock speaker, now I listen mostly to acoustic instruments in variety of styles. From '50s Art Blakey to Little Feat, Ry Cooder, Jennifer Warnes to Joni Mitchells early folk and later jazz period. But collection starts with AC/DC and ends with ZZ Top. Music is primary, sound number two. I will buy a better pressing, if needed! But I also found I enjoy the cultural heritage of hifi, so for me a Signet TK9Lca on a Kenwood KD550 with AT1100 tonearm, connected to Electrocompaniet EC-1 MM pre/phono stage amplified by a modern Abrahamsen v2.0 up integrated, is one signal path which makes me smile... . To have something like the suggested sets to finish the line seems... right .

So grand piano, standup bass, drums, some sax and some trumpets, many stringed instruments and multiple metallic percussives and lots of vocals are key words... Tom Waits, swordfishtrombones.

I heard the L300s some 45 years ago, and have never forgotten them. When I recently stumbled over the Troels Gravesen site, his writings actually tempted me to go vintage JBL, which he gives great respect to (for the same reasons I seem to remember).

Asking prices for 240s are $850, L-150As $1700. I'm sure there's some leeway on the 150's, didn't talk to the 240 seller yet...

Considering the price differential, I would definitely go for the 240ti. Either speaker will be a significant step up from your current system, but the possible harshness of the titanium tweeter aside, the 240ti is a better speaker.

I used to have the KD500 table in a system with 4 SEAS 13” woofers... I had to build a special isolation platform to avoid feedback. Either of these new JBLs will have more low end than your current system, so keep that in mind.

Widget

My thought is that 70w/channel might not wake up the L150A.
    I used a similarly powered integrated amp, that also doubled its power into 4 ohms, and was surprised at the difference when I replaced it with a 200w/ch separate amp. No ear-bleeding levels were involved.

I have not noticed this same effect with the 240Ti. Both are enjoyable. The L150A cabinets are more interesting looking, with the sculpted grilles.

I have 3/4's of the "Ti line" (18's,120's,250's) and like the teak styling and their build quality .

Cannot speak to the 150a's , never heard any, but did read some neg comments
    on the 150 - NON a's. Cabinets seem good looking and well done.

The LE-14H-1 is a fine LF driver and very capable. I'm also partial to the 044Ti HF driver. It's not super crisp, but sound very nice to me. It's main drawback is that by now
    the foam under the dome is most likely gone, rendering the HF a bit harsh to some people. Not too hard or expensive to fix.

For that price difference, seems like an easy choice , if all condition on both is the same.
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Thanks again for your responses, and based on those I've simply decided to go for the 240Tis . Had a nice conversation with the seller, so all I need to do is arrange shipping, or go get them .

I've considered a potential need for more power, and do have a half idea of a 250w dual mono Electrocompaniet for an alternaternative line in the future. I already have the EC-3 MM. But the Abrahamsen may suffice, I don't play at extreme levels anymore. But, of course, maybe other reasons to have extra power...

As for drivers, I note the potential issue. Some foam dissolves in time, just have to accept and fix, if needed.

As for feedback, my floor is concrete and I use thick, non-resonant platforms, which seems to work very well together, no resonance enters via tt feet. My vinyl ...interest... has become several turntables, but they all sound the best on a firm, non resonant and heavy slab of something. Oh, and I used to have a B&W AS6(?) sub, to really shake things up, but I don't think it brought much to music with the E100s, so I got rid of it.

Anyway, I certainly would have liked to get both, but that is beyond my means in several ways. I need a bigger house, but that's not happening soon.

I hear some change caps and crossovers, is that something necessary to do? I can solder a little and have a electrical engineer as father in law who can help should need arise...

Bliss, I'll dream about big woofers tonight ...

Quote Originally Posted by Dagfinn View Post
    I hear some change caps and crossovers, is that something necessary to do? I can solder a little and have a electrical engineer as father in law who can help should need arise...
    Leave them alone until you've had a chance to really listen to them. There's likely nothing wrong with what JBL put in there decades ago.

Here in Amerika we have a saying: "If it ain't broke, don't fix it!" For some that should be "Fix it until it's broken."
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

I hear some change caps and crossovers, is that something necessary to do?
    On a system that “new” I would expect not, unless something is damaged or you wish to alter the sound for some reason (rethinking or revising the crossover, for example).

There are those who choose to personalize their possessions as a necessity... a part of being involved in a hobby. Audio, cars, musical instruments, residences. Nothing wrong with that. Necessary? (Shrug)

Welcome to the forum

Incidentally , welcome to the forum , we have a few longtime members here from Norway and the rest of Skandinavia.

Electrocompaniet make some A++ amps , you should be on good ground there. Did you ever hear a Nordsk amp maker Auditon ? Very similar to Threshold / Pass.
    Either of these would be excellent with the 240's IMO.

Other things you might want to ponder for the future , I reckon the 240 is a good mule , Bi Amping being an easy step.
    However , and this has been discussed before , I think that removal of the mid and HF leaves cut outs that can be absorbed by the cutout for a PTH f1010 Horn. Add a 2450sl
    compression driver and DSP management and you will be well on your way to a poor man's M2.
    Endless fun during the long winter nights.

Just floating ideas here.

Thanks, macaroonie . Adyton I do know by name and reputation, I've had the pleasure of talking to owner Geir Tømmervik at his shop. He's a well of information when he gets started talking . Rare to see Adyton amps for sale, and what I have seen have been too rich for me. But nice deals pops up, you never know . Thanks for the tips, they are big boxes and space for mods - I see that.

I mentioned caps because seller mentioned some change them, but for starters they will be left as is, unless something is wrong. Seller says they're fine, no known issues . They may need some surface treatment, but I think they look pretty good.

But, initally I'm looking for their original sound, and hope I don't have to change or fix anything . I do have digital processing available as optional path in the setup, so - yeah, lots of fun for dark winter months .

They will be here come Friday, so I'll post some first impressions then. I'm going to need stands or bases for them, so that's one thing I'll have to fix .

Adyton --- yes , memory is faded. I only ever heard one and it was very very good.

On it's own the 240 is a damn good speaker , also quite a big boy , I have doubts about the stands but hey , ?? Whatever fits.

Where are you in Norway ?

Skol Mac

Thread Information