Thread: Chance of picking up new HK Citation 7.4 passive sub

Chance of picking up new HK Citation 7.4 passive sub

Hey all,

I have a chance to buy a passive sub that uses the JBL LE14H-1 woofer for $300. While it would seem a tremendous sub with this beefy woofer, I’m not sure if it’s ever been used for this function. Looking for anyone that knows this woofer well.

I remember that sub - the sleek, sculpted lines and rounded corners - oops wrong sub. How about a big black box with a woofer and a port. I think that system was the first decent sounding THX speaker system. I have had several speakers that use that woofer, and in a large enough enclosure, the bass quality is really good. However, that driver doesn’t have the super long Xmax that newer drivers have (8-9mm vs probably twice that or more on the newer 15’s), so you’ll have to be careful not to let it bottom out. I would jump on it for music listening, but you’re looking for high volume surround sound bass, there are better choices - though nowhere near that price. Foam surround on the woofer will probably be shot, unless it’s been really well sealed in a bag - if you do have to refoam it, make sure you or your tech glue the foam to the back of the woofer - that driver in new condition with good foam or correctly done refoam is probably worth $250-300, versus $150-200 if it’s been reformed on the front. Have fun!
    That the internet contains a blog documenting your life does not constitute proof that your existence is valid. Sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by HCSGuy View Post
    I remember that sub - the sleek, sculpted lines and rounded corners - oops wrong sub. How about a big black box with a woofer and a port. I think that system was the first decent sounding THX speaker system. I have had several speakers that use that woofer, and in a large enough enclosure, the bass quality is really good. However, that driver doesn’t have the super long Xmax that newer drivers have (8-9mm vs probably twice that or more on the newer 15’s), so you’ll have to be careful not to let it bottom out. I would jump on it for music listening, but you’re looking for high volume surround sound bass, there are better choices - though nowhere near that price. Foam surround on the woofer will probably be shot, unless it’s been really well sealed in a bag - if you do have to refoam it, make sure you or your tech glue the foam to the back of the woofer - that driver in new condition with good foam or correctly done refoam is probably worth $250-300, versus $150-200 if it’s been reformed on the front. Have fun!
    ive got a speaker guy who’s got 40 years with jbl and dozens of other makes. He’s an artist. He’s done dozens of woofers for me and RBH Sound. I’m getting it just for cheap fun, and I would love to own that woofer. I’ve got RBH Reference subs that handle my theater. I may keep it for a bit, and sell it maybe. It’s all fun. Thanks for the data.

I picked up two of them for $500. The woofer surrounds are mint. Both subs are. I’ve been playing with them all morning, tweaking here and there. I have them paired up with my L100t, L1 in the rear. I’m using the outstanding RBH SA-400 sub amp. It can easily handle the 3 ohm load.

ive only listened to music. They are remarkable to listen to. The low end is so incredibly clean, tight but in perfect balance. It’s the best sounding setup this system has ever had. I’m not sure about movies, but remarkable for tunes.

Nice 👍🏻

Be careful using music subs for movies, it usually does not turn out well as HCSGuy said.
    XPL 200's w DX1, XPL 160's, XPL 140's, L7's, L5's, L3's, L1's Homemade L Center, 4412's, 4406, L60T's, L20T's

Quote Originally Posted by gferrell View Post
    Be careful using music subs for movies, it usually does not turn out well as HCSGuy said.
    Ive got two stacks of RBH Sound Reference passive subs that handle movies nicely. I did run a sub test track and the surrounds blew right out of the frames. Funny. These LE14h-1 woofers have an appointment for new surrounds. Can’t wait to bring them home..

Considering your subs were probably built in ‘96 or so, the foam failure is not surprising, though you would think that they would age slowly if the sub was wrapped in plastic. At some point, 1Audiohack had a 2234 that he used a butyl rubber surround he got from Japan - I don’t know if that option is available for LE14’s, but it would be something to consider.
    That the internet contains a blog documenting your life does not constitute proof that your existence is valid. Sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by HCSGuy View Post
    Considering your subs were probably built in ‘96 or so, the foam failure is not surprising, though you would think that they would age slowly if the sub was wrapped in plastic. At some point, 1Audiohack had a 2234 that he used a butyl rubber surround he got from Japan - I don’t know if that option is available for LE14’s, but it would be something to consider.
    I use a local guy here in UT that’s worked on JBL for 40+ years as well as dozens of other brands. He even rebuilds rare car speakers and old radio etc. He researches every driver and gets the specific surround. It took him a bit, but found the right one for my 120t3 woofers. These two will be beautiful when complete. The one subs still operational. It’s a beautiful match with my L100 t.

Thread Information