Thread: Crossover Rebuild

Crossover Rebuild

I am wanting to rebuild my crossover with newer caps. I am good with using soldering tool etc... I would like add new caps. Are there any diy videos or anyone that can simplify the process. doesn't look hard at all. Please see pics below. Looks like those similar in L100 speaker from that era. I want to close this project up. The people around me that would do it are trying to make me wait for 3 months. It is not that hard.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Simplify in what sense? If you have your soldering chops down its a matter of cutting out the old caps and installing the new caps. Modern caps don't have lead wires installed like these purpose built caps did so you will need to ID the capacitor leads, make a connection terminal at the end of the new cap by turning the wire lead a few times to make a tight coil to insert the wire lead into. The smaller bypass caps can be wired exactly as they are in the pic as they will be similar in size and configuration. The key will be making sure you ID those wire leads from the existing caps correctly before clipping them off.

Quote Originally Posted by Riley Casey View Post
    Simplify in what sense? If you have your soldering chops down its a matter of cutting out the old caps and installing the new caps. Modern caps don't have lead wires installed like these purpose built caps did so you will need to ID the capacitor leads, make a connection terminal at the end of the new cap by turning the wire lead a few times to make a tight coil to insert the wire lead into. The smaller bypass caps can be wired exactly as they are in the pic as they will be similar in size and configuration. The key will be making sure you ID those wire leads from the existing caps correctly before clipping them off.

now when you say ID are we talking negative and positive or that in conjunction with what wire goes to which etc...

There is no polarity attribute to the capacitors used in speaker crossovers ( assuming you've acquired the right variety of capacitors ). You simply want to duplicate the existing connections. Since you already have the leads in place it should be very simple. Take a enough photos that give you confidence that you can recreate things even if something goes wrong with the wiring. Identify the ends of the existing caps, just write A, B, C & D on the paper surface at the ends and put a tag on each wire with the same markings. Cut the wires where they exit the cap and pry them off the masonite panel. I don't remember what adhesive they used on these but pretty sure it wasn't hot melt glue. Mark the new capacitors with labels at each end matching the old caps and form the lead wires into solder terminals. Glue the new caps in place and solder the wires to the leads. It will probably be easier to replace the small bypass caps while the larger caps are off the board. Its actually simpler than it looks. As long as you have an orange wire going to each end of the your new large cap and a green wire going to each end of your new smaller cap you've got it right. If you need to pair up two caps to achieve the correct value ( not an uncommon occurrence) solder them together before mounting and soldering on the masonite board.

Quote Originally Posted by TerrapinBill View Post
    now when you say ID are we talking negative and positive or that in conjunction with what wire goes to which etc...

From the looks of the corrosion on those L pads you may want to clean them with some Deoxit before you reassemble things.

Quote Originally Posted by TerrapinBill View Post
    you don't need to do anything except clean the controls with DEOXIT, that's it, it's that simple.

Listen and enjoy

Thread Information