Thread: Dating an early 604 Duplex speaker

Dating an early 604 Duplex speaker

I've been trying to place a date on this piece and have been unable to do so. As near as I can tell, it looks to be from '47-48, but it's really hard to say. I've checked the registry and have tried several advanced searches, but can't seem to find much on this particular 20 ohm version.

Just curious if any members have a bookmark to share or can recall anything from the past on this subject?

Here are some photos to show what I'm talking about...Name:  1.jpg
Views: 1114
Size:  157.0 KBName:  2.jpg
Views: 1015
Size:  135.2 KBName:  3.jpg
Views: 974
Size:  81.1 KBName:  4.jpg
Views: 1013
Size:  122.7 KBName:  5.jpg
Views: 1005
Size:  88.4 KB

I found more info and I think I have verified this piece is from late 1947. One more pic for posterity. Name:  WP_20140727_027.jpg
Views: 908
Size:  102.9 KB.

An odd duck? A 604 with the ALTEC back cover. The early 604 had the Lansing cover. I thought the ALTEC cover was introduced with the 16 ohm 604B. To my knowledge, there is no such thing as a 604 with an A suffix.

At any rate, the speaker is in gorgeous condition, and the cabinet is in remarkable condition for it's age. It's amazing there isn't a spec of dust on the cone.

Quote Originally Posted by Horn Fanatic View Post
    An odd duck? A 604 with the ALTEC back cover. The early 604 had the Lansing cover. I thought the ALTEC cover was introduced with the 16 ohm 604B. To my knowledge, there is no such thing as a 604 with an A suffix.

At any rate, the speaker is in gorgeous condition, and the cabinet is in remarkable condition for it's age. It's amazing there isn't a spec of dust on the cone.
    I am not aware of any with an A suffix either. I don't believe there was one. Not sure about the cap. What little I have found has show the same cap on some 604b's and other 604 with close serial numbers to this one. I did find pics of 604 serial 32. It has a different dia cap.

It is really clean. Likely the cleanest I have seen for the age.

Thanks for chiming in.

Hi oldsoundz,

Very nice piece. There were no "A"s, just the 604. First 100 or so had black and white decal, then red white and blue through most of 1946 then what you have. I once had one with similar serial number in the same cabinet and it already had the 'B" network, the ones with all the wires coming out of a hole on top. Is yours like this? The back cover is correct for the period (early 1947), being preceded by the "star" cover. I believe that there were ads in the magazines for the 604B by late 1947.

Altec was evidently proud of their Hollywood corporate address. The factory was of course in south central L.A. but they rented an office in the Taft Building at Hollywood and Vine early on. Don McRitchie and I snuck in there one time past the guard to photograph their office door up on the 12th floor. Later they occupied 1161 North Vine Street for a few years, until moving most production to west Santa Monica Blvd. in 1951 and thus garnering a pre-90210 Beverly Hills address!

I also agree with Steve on this 1947 is what I put on it.And with the serial 3482. It definitely puts it just before the release of the 604B IMHO. I would also take good care of the cabinet as well.The combo will make it more valuable, nice find !

Do you have a pic of the crossover ? Is there any labels on the back of cabinet ?
    "James B. Lansing" = Lansing Manufacturing ~ Altec Lansing ~ JBL

Hi Steve,

This one came with the earlier N-2000-B. Funny thing, as I continued to search to determine the year, nearly the only references I could find were all from you. Again proving how valuable your knowledge on the topic is. Thank you for your input.

Altec Best

I actually settled on 1947. I was able to find a few more posts on the subject after posting here. What a treat it was to find this piece. This speaker is now in Colorado having found a loving new owner. Thanks again.

Name:  21.jpg
Views: 811
Size:  151.2 KBName:  24.jpg
Views: 635
Size:  76.7 KB

Big score

Ok Im new here but two weeks ago I scored two 1944 604 in 605m cabinets in great shape for their age. Even have original grill clothe in perfect condition. I am going to refinish the cabinets but not sure of the crossover. It is the n-2000 b.

Im sure the caps are way out of spec. Anyone do this before. I have done the n-800's but am not sure of the values of the n-2000 crossover. I will post pics as I start to work on them.

Steve I do not have the original duplex sticker on the back and am wondering if you can take a picture of it straight on. I would like to duplicate it to put it on the back of the speaker cabinets.

Thanks Hugh

Overlap between late 604 and early 604b?

Just stumbled on this thread, and I have a speaker (a pair, actually) that seems to straddle this hazy line between the late model 604 and the earlier 604b. To begin with, both the "A" and the B look the same. Same Hollywood caps, same color crinkle paint, same gold stickering, and same gray/gold n2000b crossovers (the OPs x-overs seemed to be the earlier black metal design).

My question, is: is there any difference between the two speakers other than the printing on the stickers?

Thread Information