Thread: How much room do I need for a pair of Everest DD66000's?

How much room do I need for a pair of Everest DD66000's?

I've decided to sell my home in the big city, and move to a lower cost of living part of the US. If play my cards right, I maybe could afford a used pair of Everest's and build a living/music room to properly accommodate them. Question is, how many square feet should I have so they can really "breathe"?? Does anyone have experience placing them?

I've got JBL S3100s in my 14'x18' foot LR, and that's barely enough space for them. In my HT, I'm running Tannoy Ardens (15" dual concentric} and they sound great in a 14'x22' space.

I've always been a sucker for larger format (not as in pro sound) speakers but many times I haven't had the room for them to sound their best. This is kind of a bucket list thing for me so I'd like to give it a try. Thx.

15' by 24' would be excellent. I liked them best fully toed in forming a 10' equilateral triangle. You want the listing position to be several feet from the back wall and the speakers several feet in front of the front wall. In my rooms, I had the best results with the speakers along the long wall.

Widget

Thank you!

Dining room?

As a bit of irrelevant trivia, when Widget had his Everests in his living room in Alameda, CA along the long wall, I thought they sounded fantastic through the opening between rooms while I was in his dining room behind them. Maybe it was a Bose 901 effect? I think he's moved since then, so I may not have heard them in his optimal setting.
    Out.

Ah, the dining room... unfortunately you visited too early. Some time after your visit and Grumpy's too, I upgraded my room measurement gear and discovered what had been annoying me. That room had a resonance that peaked just under 80Hz and it really messed up the bass. It was there with other speakers too, but it was really pronounced with the Everests. I also eventually upgraded the woofers to the DD67000 woofers which also increased the low end articulation.

After measuring and isolating the annoying 80Hz peak I inserted a Meyer Sound CP10 and dialed in a narrow notch... what a difference! In any event, that room was not an ideal listening room. It was too narrow and long.

My recommendation was based on my current room and using the golden ratio to make it closer to the theoretical ideal. You still don't want to sit in a node or null, but with an ideal room, you'll be much happier.

My current room, pictured below, is not exactly matching the golden ratio, but is close enough and it sounds great. This room is 24' 6" by 16' with a vaulted ceiling that is 8' high at the walls and is 11' 6" at the peak. Unfortunately due to domestic considerations, my beloved Everests were not allowed to make the move from Alameda.

Here is a thread describing the journey of the speakers shown below: http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...Project-Widget

Widget
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Thread Information