Thread: 033 Tweeter Repair

033 Tweeter Repair

The little flat wires on both sides of the part that connects the diaphram to the dome have been disconnected. How can I reconnect them?
    Name:  IMG_1428.jpg
Views: 659
Size:  196.7 KB
    Name:  IMG_1429.jpg
Views: 595
Size:  204.1 KB

Is there a way to get at the voicecoil (wire under the dome on a 1" short cylindrical former) without unwinding too much?
    Soldering the back to the wires still hanging on the mounting frame is going to be a royal pain, but it's possible.
    Much better to find a replacement driver, if that's possible, as it's likely to break again and dressing the leads will be tricky.

Quote Originally Posted by grumpy View Post
    Is there a way to get at the voicecoil (wire under the dome on a 1" short cylindrical former) without unwinding too much?
    Soldering the back to the wires still hanging on the mounting frame is going to be a royal pain, but it's possible.
    Much better to find a replacement driver, if that's possible, as it's likely to break again and dressing the leads will be tricky.
    Are there any non-stock replacements worth considering? I have yet to find a thread concluding whether a compatable tweeter exists (without mods to the baffle and xo).

I've heard mixed reviews about aftermarket tweeters, though I'll try them since there does not seem to be anything else. Also, do you know if the inductors are worth replacing? I believe the current ones are already air core, but I'm not sure how good they are.

I would suggest leaving the inductors alone, in general. Many networks are dependent on the resistance of a particular inductor to work properly (as intended). Also, they don't tend to deteriorate.

Aftermarket diaphragm (not the entire tweeter) is about as inexpensive a fix as I can think of that would be more reliable than surgery on your voicecoil wires. An alternative is eBay etc... or a shout out here for a used 033.

Quote Originally Posted by scroogemcdov View Post
    I've heard mixed reviews about aftermarket tweeters, though I'll try them since there does not seem to be anything else. Also, do you know if the inductors are worth replacing? I believe the current ones are already air core, but I'm not sure how good they are.

Thread Information