Thread: Subwoofer integration with the M2’s

Subwoofer integration with the M2’s

I added 2 SVS SB-4000 subwoofers to my M2 system and have a question about the crossover frequency. I have only been able to find one internet post about this and it said that when JBL adds the SUB18’s to the M2’s they are crossed at 175hz.

My processer has outputs for Stereo Subwoofers and can be configured for frequency and slope. I currently have a Synthesis SA4600 with the M2 files loaded powering the M2’s and my processor's crossover set at 170hz and 24db. The system sounds great but the 175hz seems rather high for a speaker that goes down to 20hz and was wondering if someone here could confirm the 175hz information or possibly have some other recommendations.
    L300 Summit, SC99 Athena, L220 Oracle, C70 Alpha, L100, 4311, L7, L5, L3 and Aquarius

Have you tried talking to JBL directly?

Quote Originally Posted by lhracing View Post
    I added 2 SVS SB-4000 subwoofers to my M2 system and have a question about the crossover frequency. I have only been able to find one internet post about this and it said that when JBL adds the SUB18’s to the M2’s they are crossed at 175hz.

My processer has outputs for Stereo Subwoofers and can be configured for frequency and slope. I currently have a Synthesis SA4600 with the M2 files loaded powering the M2’s and my processor's crossover set at 170hz and 24db. The system sounds great but the 175hz seems rather high for a speaker that goes down to 20hz and was wondering if someone here could confirm the 175hz information or possibly have some other recommendations.

Quote Originally Posted by grumpy View Post
    Have you tried talking to JBL directly?
    I have not contacted JBL, hoping someone had some real world experience with what worked for them.
    L300 Summit, SC99 Athena, L220 Oracle, C70 Alpha, L100, 4311, L7, L5, L3 and Aquarius

That sounds high as you will be able to "hear" where the sub/subs are. Why don't you just set them up at 80hz and be done with it?? As long as the integration works it's really a moot point if it works in your room. There is a preset available.

Rob
    "I could be arguing in my spare time"

Agree with Rob, but why would JBL not have real-world experience ... in setting up studios for critical listening (for example)?
    It's OK to use customer service also ... this is current equipment that they still sell and support They're not a scary bunch.
    They may have some further wisdom they're willing to share.

If you have a major room resonance in that range, you could use the crossover to mitigate.
    At least one M2/SUB10 user has gone even lower (xover freq) and liked it.

Agree with Rob, but why would JBL not have real-world experience ... in setting up studios for critical listening (for example)?
    It's OK to use customer service also ... this is current equipment that they still sell and support They're not a scary bunch.

If you have a major room resonance in that range, you could use the crossover to mitigate.
    I asked some questions on the Pro support page and will see what they have to say. On the SVS website they recommend 50hz with the M2 speakers which may be good for HT but for music there is not much material less than 50hz. I have tried 50hz, 80hz 120hz and 170hz, the higher frequencies seem to be smoother. The subs are placed next to the M2's so localizing of the bass isn't a problem.

Cool. Hope the web support equals the pro phone line and you get some useful suggestions!

Reach out to member Champster. He has a pair of sub 18s along with his M2s. Last we talked he was still working on implementing the files for the subs but that was several months ago. I believe there is also eq that's built into the JBL files for flat response. Crossover between 60-50 hz seems more appropriate than 175hz.

Quote Originally Posted by rusty jefferson View Post
    Reach out to member Champster. He has a pair of sub 18s along with his M2s. Last we talked he was still working on implementing the files for the subs but that was several months ago. I believe there is also eq that's built into the JBL files for flat response. Crossover between 60-50 hz seems more appropriate than 175hz.
    Thanks, I sent him a message.

Wow 175hz! No way. I tried them all as you have and settled on 40hz. I suppose if you were listening at super high volumes, you’d want to shift some of that work to to the Sub but in a home environment I can’t image ever pushing it that hard. I certainly don’t. Which file did you load for your M2s? Since you loaded it prior to your Subs, I’ll bet you loaded the full range file. I’d recommend now using the file for the M2 that has the 27hz cutoff. This file will ever so slightly clean up the lower midrange over the full range file. Are you using this for 2 channel or HT?

I sent you a PM too with the contact info of the tech support guys at Crown. Very helpful, but if you’re not using London Architect or Audio Architect, they might not be able to help much as they are really just software knowledgeable guys and not able to really help you tune your system.

Paul
    Last edited by Champster; 11-19-2020 at 05:52 PM. Reason: Typo

I haven't received anything back from my online questions so I call the Pro support line and talked to them directly. They had to put me on hold for a while to find an answer. They told me that it depends on the usage and the room but they will typically select 80hz, 100hz or 120hz depending on the installation.

I haven't received anything back from my online questions so I call the Pro support line and talked to them directly. They had to put me on hold for a while to find an answer. They told me that it depends on the usage and the room but they will typically select 80hz, 100hz or 120hz depending on the installation.
    Hahaha, it sounds like you just went through the same pain I had to endure about 2 years ago. After searching high and low, I called JBL Professional and Crown Tech Support and got the same confused look on their faces. Nobody was able to find the “SUB18 file”. In the end, Manny at Crown told me that a subs “file” is so room dependent that it really can’t be canned.

Paul

Thread Information