Thread: 2x12 E120 Cab to match up well with......

2x12 E120 Cab to match up well with......

Let's Start off by saying this is my first post. I play guitar and bass. The Fender Bass VI is my main instrument. My amp head is the Fender Bassbreaker 45 Head (Think 59 Bassman preamp into EL34 Power section)

I am looking on suggestions for a 2x12 cab dimensions for some E120s I picked up for a song ($125 CAD for a pair of home made monitors with crossovers and horns).
    Here is where it gets tricky. I want it to work well with both my other cabs visually as well as sound wise.

Here is a photo (Stack is 7'1" or something like that....needed a stool to plug in....I don't use it like this but had to stack it for one photo):
    Name:  stacked.jpg
Views: 429
Size:  122.2 KB

The top Cab is a butchered Traynor - originally a 2x12 but someone opened the top opening to 15" so I put an EVM15B in it with an Eminence Hempdog 12" in the bottom hole - no separate compartments for the drivers - Wired in series for 16 Ohm - Great cab for my Bass VI and My guitars sounds awesome. Approx Outside Dimensions 32"Hx25"Wx13"D.

The Bottom Road cab Has 2 Eminence Kappa 15As I got for like $70 CAD each Brand new - Wired in series for 16 Ohm Approx Outside Dimensions 39"Hx26"Wx16"D.

Both these cabs work well for me alone or together.

What should I do with the JBL E120s. Only think I know is they will be in series for an 16 ohm load. Do I go Sealed, ported? Dimensions closer to the Traynor or the Road Cab?

Maybe do something like this. Thats a single D130 but someting similar with either 1 or 2 E120's would fit the bill. The vent is not very specific akin to an open back cab.

Name:  DSCF3349.jpg
Views: 315
Size:  83.1 KB

Personally I would look at other 12 inch speakers for bass guitar unless you doing a true bi-amped rig and the E120's are the low mid/mid section.

The cab wouldn't be used on its own (usually) it would be used in conjunction with one of the other cabs. Not true biamp but along side it.

Quote Originally Posted by Drewbertca View Post
    The cab wouldn't be used on its own (usually) it would be used in conjunction with one of the other cabs. Not true biamp but along side it.
    It would still be getting full range signal then.

Are you going to play out with this rig or just jam on it at home.

Big loud bass rigs don't always work real well at some gigs!

Potentially play out. I tested it today, sort of. I wired the 2 e120s i. Series a d uses it along side the 2x15 cab. Sounded good except one of tye e120s was in a combo amp and the other in an open back cab so there wasn't any interaction between the drivers. It sounded great but not a true single cab test. It sounded pretty similar to my other cab with the 15 and the 12 in it so I like it. I may take the easy way out and make a diagonal closed back cab 24"x24"x12" and see how that works for me. Maybe deeper. I don't know...

Besides Lemmy used a 100W marshall head into a 4x12 and a 4x15... Lol

Hi,

personally I'd go (and I did with two K-120's) for the 3.75 cuft enclosure from this set of plans: http://www.lansingheritage.org/html/.../1970s-kit.htm. I think you don't need to follow all it's dimensions, but need to keep the internal volume. Mine are as wide as high (24" each), but deeper.

Note: These are K series plans, and I can't tell if the box tuning (= port length) will fit for E-120's also. But I'm also curious to learn here .

And there's no need for bi-amping with MI loudspeakers, as suggested above. Just plug them in parallel with your existing 15" cab(s) and you'll be fine with the sound, especially with your Fender VI (remember the 1975 track Guitar King by Hank the Knife and the Jets from the Netherlands?)!

Best regards!

Thread Information