Thread: Whats going on here then ?

Whats going on here then ?

Since there is not too much going on these days I wonder what you ladies think is afoot? There is one member who does but he is smart enough tho keep schtoom.

Name:  IMG_1239.jpg
Views: 557
Size:  80.8 KB

Most of y'all are far too technical and advanced for me, so I just lurk in the shadows & read. Despite Covid, this year has been one of much audiobux blowage. I've purchased Klipsch Forte I's, Forte II's and JBL XPL 200's. Did a shoot out of all those against my incumbent JBL L150A's and the XPL 200's took the crown. I also purchased two Adcom GFA 555II's, an Ashly XR1000, Bob Crites B-2 crossovers for my Cornwall's in the garage and custom crossovers for the L150A's as well.

Those BC B-2 XO's are a great improvement over the type B-1's which were in those Cornholes. Really tied the room together, er I mean opened those up and improved the sound. Almost tempted to bring them back into the house.. I just never liked the treble with the B-1's, was grainy and shrill, but the B-2's smoothed that right out.

Current rig consists of those GFA's bi-amping my XPL's, a Marantz 3600 preamp feeding a Audio Control C101 Series II equalizer (not really necessary any more..) that then feeds the Ashly XR1000. It's an impressive rig. Before that I went back to using what I previously dubbed a "Yamasuck" R-V1105 receiver. That thing was far from a turd when you took it's internal preamp out of the equation and just used the amp section. Even though the GFA's are 200wpc, the 85wpc from that thing held me over for awhile. Not having clip detection of any sort made me queasy so that's where the Adcoms come in, until I can afford better amps. I don't know if the Adcoms need service, loud listening levels cause the woofers on the XPL's to bottom out- there is a loud pop/crack from them that wasn't there with the Yamaha. The sound is much improved though.

Used to have a Marantz 510M amp as my main thing. Tempted to see how it handles those 2214H's vs the 555II's, maybe that's what the issue is. However, I did not care for the 510M's presentation of midrange compared to either of the amps- kind of muddy and grainy whereas the GFA's are open and airy, articulate even. Something I never noticed about the Marantz until I had something else to compare it with...

Thanks for your blow by blow account of your systems Derek However that was not quite the intention of my thread starter.
    It's a teaser , all the clues you need are in the picture. Remember , this is the DIY forum.

Cheers mac

So is that a horny dog armed with a chisel or a chiseling horndog??

Rob
    "I could be arguing in my spare time"

It's a gouge

Lol!

Rob
    "I could be arguing in my spare time"

Thread Information