Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Amplifiers capable of dual woofers?

RE "but the phase angle is a high –52°."

Stereophile unduly picky? Another viewpoint on this...

With regards to Recording Monitor Loudspeakers, which is a demanding application, Eargle talks about their impedance, then adds "... and the phase angle should not exceed + or - 60°." (John Eargle, Loudspeaker Handbook, 2nd Edition, P. 246).

The 1400 Array is still within that margin. If the 60° is good for monitor loudspeakers why it wouldn't be acceptable for a home speaker is somewhat beyond me.

Richard

The 1400 Array is still within that margin. If the 60° is good for monitor loudspeakers why it wouldn't be acceptable for a home speaker is somewhat beyond me.
    You are missing the point it's the combination of impedance and phase angle. Looking at the impedance curve the worst case is not at the expected low point of 4.9@ 92Hz. So looking at just the impedance curve WRT actual load seen by the amp is useless without the phase curve. In a reflex box the tuning determines the curve.

Going back to the OP's question if you wanted to use a pair of these there is a real possibility of ending up with a worst case of close to or under 1 ohm.

Not many amps like 1 ohm loads. That is a general statement and does not address the combination of the two.

Rob
    "I could be arguing in my spare time"

@ widget:
    I think I know what you mean. You have owned the Everest 66000 if Im correct and I believe those AL1501 woofers are a little bit more precise than the LE14H-3´s... Not mentioning the output capabilities...
    As you have allready mentioned, the most limiting factor on the LE14h-3 should be the midrange and higher crossover frequencies.
    I suppose running them below 300hz minimizes the disadvantages in soundqualitiy when compared to more modern woofers.

@rob:
    I´ve never heard of that EPDR-number, thanks for bringing that up.
    Actually that EPDR of 1,9ohms for a single LE14h-3 looks pretty scary.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.db View Post
    I suppose running them below 300hz minimizes the disadvantages in soundqualitiy when compared to more modern woofers.
    Absolutely.
    They will likely satisfy, but based on the info Rob posted, you may want to use them with a stereo amp per side. Meaning a dedicated amp channel per woofer.

Widget

Yes, a stereo-amp per side would be on the safe side for shure. Allthough I get the impression it might not work with a single amp, I would be happier using less electronics.

RE posts # 16 and 17

Somewhat late reply, been quite busy, however they say its better late than never...

Sorry for cutting short the quote from Eargle. This gave the impression that phase angle alone was the important matter (the impedance part having been skipped). MY BAD. Eargle certainly didn't put aside the impedance issue, along with phase angle, as outlined in this corrected quote of the whole paragraph (subject is a list of attributes that recording monitor speakers should have):

"7. Well behaved impedance characteristic. The dc resistance of the system should not drop below 80% of the nominal impedance value, and the phase angle should not exceed +/- 60°." Btw he does admit that his list is a tall order: "This is an imposing list, and few monitor loudspeakers earn outstanding marks in all areas. In many cases, the optimization of one attribute may work against another." (Loudspeaker Handbook, 2nd ed., p. 246)

The above corrects the error and should put me back "in phase"...

Did a quick search for one ohm rated amplifiers but what i saw was pretty much car audio amps... (assuming they are really 1 ohm capable).

Aside from the above, Dickason mentions in his Loudspeaker Design Cookbook, 5th ed., that "Phase is, however, generally not well understood, and the following explanation may be helpful." (p. 138). This explanation along with others should follow shortly.

Richard

Thanks a lot for this additional info`s!

Hi Olaf,
    i'll post in my BGW thread the phase stuff promised, this way it won't highjack yours.
    Richard

Thanks

Thread Information