Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 4350/55 thread

"No I do not have any filters in the system"

Me neither, Mr. Widget. The QSC's have a DIP for a 30Hz roll-off, but somewhere in fine-print I'm sure it sez:

"...users of the 4343, 4345, 4350, or 4355 series shall leave this in the OUT position."
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

"I popped on a 20 Hz filter in irritation"

Define "popped", and what is the filter comprised of?

I agree on the need for a low-cut filter, but the minimum 30Hz on the QSC's was simply too high for the 2245H's, so I have been deliberately stingy on gain.

I've got a Rane DEQ60 en route that will provide a selectable low-cut filter (15Hz - 240Hz) and make moot this question, but still curious...
    Last edited by boputnam; 07-25-2003 at 07:36 AM.
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

"I flipped the DIP switch in the 5234A"

That's what I thought, but wondered if there was something else you've utilized. I wish those DIP switches were more accessible - de-racking and opening the 5234A is tedious.

Now, another question? ??

You've elsewhere (a pm?? ...) mentioned you preferred crossover from the 2245H at ~100Hz, versus the 290Hz imbedded in the 5234A w/ 51-5145 card. How? (Maybe you're not using the 51-5145...).
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

In the dark recesses of my often foggy brain I remember a discussion of in-line high pass filters. I suppose a 20Hz filter would be worth giving a listen. Can someone recommend a good in-line filter?

Another solution would be to add four more 2235s... ok well then there is turning down the volume 2-3dB...
    Last edited by Mr. Widget; 07-25-2003 at 10:43 AM.

"I used the 20 Hz high pass function of the 5234A/5235"

I assumed, but shouldn't have, that you used Q = 0.707 (i.e., "flat") and not Q = 2. Correct, Giskard?

Sorry to be so pedantic...
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

IDF
    Originally posted by PSS AUDIO
    I seem to be misunderstood.

JBL says that the low can handle 300 Watts and high 150 watts. It means, still in theory that you can/must use an amplifier able to deliver such power.

I tried to explain that, in my case (I use the 4350 with a single amplifier as I placed a passive crossover), a 2x300 Watts is by far more enough.

The raw power of an amplifier means nothing as from my experience, when you have an amplifier unable to reproduce with high sound quality (there is no numbers able to let you know that) you will ask him more power just to feel or hear what you wish.

I like deep bass. With an amplifier that deliver aggressive mids, I will increase the sound level until I will hear the bass I am looking for and my ears will be tired as the mids are violent.

Once you have a well balanced amplifier you will lower it as you have a natural sound, and in my case, out of a 2x300W amplifier I pull perhaps nothing more than 10 Watts and it is from time to time too loud!

It is very difficult to explain and to understand, as you are not in live.

Got it.

"The 112/2108, 2121, 2122, or 2202 are allowed to roll off naturally at 12 dB/octave in their little sealed enclosures..."

...gives me the floor to ask:

¿why was the dog-house not ported? Did you, or are you aware of, any testing where the dog-house was ducted? The dog house interior dimensions are 14.5" wide by 10" high by 6" deep - a very small volume for that transducer. The overall cabinet response curve reveals additional LF/MF isn't needed, but the 2122H seems to cover such a reduced range...
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

Originally posted by rgrjit8
    Gee, this topic looks like it was made for me, so I'd better post something on it.

First, I still haven't swapped my high end drivers over to mirror image format. I got as far as taking out the woofers before I realized that I'd need more than a screwdriver and a pair of pliers to do the job.
    I eventually went shopping for a socket set but all the ratchets were 8 or 9 inches long. I knew that wouldn't cut it what with the bracing, baffle and midbass compartment all in the way.
    Sooooo.
    Before I go tool shopping again, does anyone have any advice or tips on this procedure? (How to grow a tentacle would be especially useful!)

Next, I recall the power rating on my old L 166s as being 75 watts continuous, yet they were recommended for use with 200 wpc amps. They just laughed at all the clean power I could ever afford to give them.
    Ive ran my 4350 / w 2235H woofs on 800 watt mono blocks and sometimes over drove them ( The Amps ) On the highs I used very high resolution tube amp. id say for the lows 500 a side for proper control and 60 a side tube top end will sound great!!

So it makes me wonder......

The 4355s are rated at 150 on top and 300 on the bottom. Just how much power would it take to make them grunt?
    Right now I have 250 on the bottom and can barely get the woofers to move before the room starts shaking so bad that it scares me. I haven't even tripped the soft clipping indicator on the amp at that level.

What a pair of speakers!

RohH, I want to acknowledge your emailing of the manual, it does indeed show me what to do, but I'm looking for further tips toolwise. I've lived here 10 years without needing a socket or wrench set, so when I buy one I want to get it right the first time.
    Von Schweikert VR-8
    Canary Ref. 1 300B monoblocks. 300Bx16

rgrjit8
    Sorry Mike, I've tried bragging to civilians (non-audiomaniacs) but they just don't get it.
    We have to crow amongst ourselves.

PSS AUDIO
    Originally posted by PSS AUDIO
    I do not bi-amp this speaker as I use a 12 dB 250Hz Low Pass and High Pass crossover.

I wired it on a glass epoxy printed circuit boards with tracks of almost 100 microns, air coils have a section of 1,4 mm and polypropylene condensers that are known for their unequalled sonority.
    I hope this picture will please you!

I placed one low pass 250Hz 12 dB/oct. xover in the circuitry of each 2231 and a high pass 250Hz 12 dB/oct xover in the circuitry of the 3107!

And it sounds great with a single amplifier...

PSS AUDIO

Listening conditions

Listening conditions:

The room is quite small (20 square meter) but big enough to have a great pleasure out of the sound system.

Enjoy (I hope so) the pictures and please note that it is NOT a home theatre system despite the fact that there is a television in between the two speakers!

PSS AUDIO

Listening conditions 2

Listening conditions

The room is quite small (20 square meter) but big enough to have a great pleasure out of the sound system.

Enjoy (I hope so) the pictures and please note that it is NOT a home theatre system despite the fact that there is a television in between the two speakers!

"please note that it is NOT a home theatre system'

And what's wrong with HT

Nice set-up. Most pictures I see seem to be floor mounted. Understandable with the size and weight. OK and the floor?? I always figured they would be soffit mounted by Hercules or on stands. You ever get them up off the floor??

Rob

"Enjoy (I hope so) the pictures and please note that it is NOT a home theatre system..."
    Me too, Rob!

That picture is worth a google of words - it's REAL clear what really matters!

Thanks for sharing!

Plus, now we all understand what "a melting pot of 4350/55's" really means...
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

PSS AUDIO
    Originally posted by boputnam
    Plus, now we all understand what "a melting pot of 4350/55's" really means...
    How can you know by the picture that it is a melting pot of 4350-55 as only the speakers placed in the cabinet is a melting pot as described at the beginning of the thread?

Unless I do not catch something...

Thread Information