Thread: JBL 2344 vs 2370. Stiff sounding?

JBL 2344 vs 2370. Stiff sounding?

Hello! Today i made the first test of the JBL 2344a vs 2370a with almost positive results (2425 drivers) . Definitely less distortion, definitely more accurate, definitely less efficient, definitely less musical. I think that 2344 is a horn that will not work correct out of the box especially in a 3 way speaker system. I have to add an l pad on the 2404 tweeter to match the sensitivities of the horn and tweeter (something that is not necessarily with the 2370 that cover the tweeter nicely), also i have to add some gain to the comp driver from the crossover to match the woofer. Generally is a flat sounding / accurate horn that makes it ideal to mix but not enjoy music. I think also that is sound stiffer than the 2370 in midrange freq , 2370 is smoother . Also the stereo image is more in middle than spread around like with the 2370. Anyone that got more experience with these horns??
    Attached Images Attached Images  

What are you doing about compensation?? A 2344 without a comp network is not going to work. A 2370 will have a much smoother overall response with no network.

http://www.lansingheritage.org/html/...p/pro-comp.htm

Rob
    "I could be arguing in my spare time"

Quote Originally Posted by Robh3606 View Post
    What are you doing about compensation?? A 2344 without a comp network is not going to work. A 2370 will have a much smoother overall response with no network.

http://www.lansingheritage.org/html/...p/pro-comp.htm

Rob
    What do you mean ? I use an active crossover with cd horn eq adjustment but it not help much

What do you mean ? I use an active crossover with cd horn eq adjustment but it not help much
    Well if if you are using the same one for both horns that is not good. Those horn are very different and require different curves. Also CD comps in most active crossovers are approximations unless it is for a specific horn like the preset used in the M2. In many cases you do a much better job using a passive comp network.

Rob
    "I could be arguing in my spare time"

Quote Originally Posted by Robh3606 View Post
    Well if if you are using the same one for both horns that is not good. Those horn are very different and require different curves. Also CD comps in most active crossovers are approximations unless it is for a specific horn like the preset used in the M2. In many cases you do a much better job using a passive comp network.

Rob
    Both speakers have 2344 horns now. My previous horns were the 2370! Im just comparing these 2 horns! Cd horn eq help me much with all other horns i have tried before. Except these 2344 !

You might want to have a look at this thread: http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...e-of-5235-Card

Shotgunning in parts might be fun, but is a crap shoot. In complete JBL designs, I much prefer the 2344-based monitors over the 2370-based PA type speakers... with the same 2425/6 driver and very different crossovers.

Someone else may prefer the 'liveness' of a 2370 type horn. I eventually find it tiring... which could probably be tamed. Just one opinion, as your experience seems to be the opposite

Good luck.

I've been running a pair of JBL 4828 wedge monitors as my playback speakers along with a pair of 2226 woofers for lows in my shop for the last few years. The attached response measurement of the 4828 only required three bands of parametric for the 2344 horn and three bands plus 20 mS of delay for the 2204 low mid driver to achieve. It's been many years since I've had occasion to listen to a 2370 horn but I do remember that it had very different characteristics than those I've worked with on the 2344s. I think you'll want to do some significant adjustment and measurements when swapping between those horns to really make a valid comparison.

Name:  4828 freg resp 24th oct.jpg
Views: 671
Size:  61.3 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Thread Information