Thread: Lookin old thread => Someone refinished professional series with blue face and walnut

Question Lookin old thread => Someone refinished professional series with blue face and walnut

Hi guys,

I remember there was a thread a while ago (1-2 years) - someone refinished some big professional series speakers with JBL blue face and walnut veneer.

But I could not find that thread. Could anyone help me out?

Thanks,
    Tim

There are likely a dozen or so threads like that.... any other identifiers?
    Or, what info are you looking for?

Widget

Thanks for the reminder. But I only saw one thread like that in many years

I believe those were a pair of big SR 473x. The guy refinished them with JBL blue faces and put walnut veneer on them. They looked very nice. I am think of doing that.

The most significate identifier was - from top view, the cabinets were trapezoid, not rectangle. Something like this:

Name:  download.jpg
Views: 807
Size:  110.3 KB

I never saw another thread like that in a few years.

Thanks again

Sorry, not ringing any bells here... hopefully someone else will remember.

Widget

Hi timca,

In my view knowing box model would improve your chances of finding the right thread here, since the original poster probably referred to the box model he modified with blue faces and walnut.

Therefore did a quick search to help you identify the potential box model. Have found two prospects that meet the criterias mentioned, they are big, from SR 47 series and have trapezoidal cabinets: SR4733A/X & SR4735/X.

Then you can try searching threads with those model numbers. Hopefully this will get you a homerun. Regards,

Richard

There is one in Norway who has done something similar with JBL 4771A and JBL 4748A
    Link

43XX (2235-2123-2450-2405-CC 3155)5235-4412-4406-4401-L250-18Ti-L40-S109 Aquarius lV-C38 (030) 305P MkII

If you have a trapezoid PA box the process is not really any more difficult than a rectangulsr box.
    The blue front is the easy part , color is RAL 5007 . The type of paint you use and the method of application will slightly change the look. You may need to tweak it a little.

Cabinets with vinyl or carpet coverings will need to be stripped clean , handle holes filled and made smooth etc. Rounded over edges will need routed to allow a square infill of solid wood that will then fbe sanded flush.
    I would recommend using walnut solid trim at the front edges and then veneer the sides over the top of that.
    There are plenty of tutorials on YT , I have come to like the Titebond / iron on method , .
    The golden rule with this is to practice on scrap first. Don't be scared of veneering , it is actually very enjoyable tansforming ugly boxes.
    Just be particular about your surface preparation , Bondo is your friend and a good flat sanding block.

Good luck

Wow, the power of internet

Odd nailed it down...

That was the one I was looking for. I believe there was a thread with those pictures.

Try a Google Advanced search for model numbers using the Audioheritage.org domain in the search function.
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

When searchin for another thread, I came over this one. Perhaps a bit late. Is it this you were looking for, Timca?

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...d-4748-rebuild

I am the one who rebuilt these speakers.

Yup, I looked at the thread again, beautiful work
    My avatar: 4520 loaded with 2225H on E140 frames,
    1x 2202H on custom front loaded horn, 2x 2426 on 2370.

Thread Information