Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Do dual-driver midbass horns have lobing issues?

Quote Originally Posted by ivica View Post
    Hi Ivica,

sorry for my late response. It seems I'm not getting an email notification of new posts even if I checked this option in settings..

I'm not sure that lobing can be corrected for by introducing a time delay or reversing phase in my example. The 2-way system with AE15 and TAD 4003 linked to above has a crossover point at 800hz, and the acoustic centers of the 2 drivers are likely close enough that lobing will not be much of an issue.
    However, when spacing the bottom woofer and midrange horn 3 feet apart like in my example, lobing is an issue.
    I was hoping to get some response from people with real world experience with a dual FLH setup, as this is what I am looking to build myself.

Hello Rune;

I have Community Levi mid bass horns in one of my systems. These are 30” deep and 33” X 33” at the mouths. They use two 15” mid bass drivers.

Above them are Community BRH90 mid range horns. These are 11” tall and 33” wide. Cross over is at 850 Hz.

It took some work to integrate them together well and I don’t hear what you have described with your two direct radiating woofers causing cancellation with the mid range horn.

If this is a system that could answer your question, I can take a vertical polar measurement of it Sunday.

I am changing the DSP in the system and will have the measurement gear out.

Barry.
    If we knew what the hell we were doing, we wouldn't call it research would we.

Quote Originally Posted by 1audiohack View Post
    Hello Rune;

I have Community Levi mid bass horns in one of my systems. These are 30” deep and 33” X 33” at the mouths. They use two 15” mid bass drivers.

Above them are Community BRH90 mid range horns. These are 11” tall and 33” wide. Cross over is at 850 Hz.

It took some work to integrate them together well and I don’t hear what you have described with your two direct radiating woofers causing cancellation with the mid range horn.

If this is a system that could answer your question, I can take a vertical polar measurement of it Sunday.

I am changing the DSP in the system and will have the measurement gear out.

Barry.

Hi Barry,

thank you very much for your reply.
    Those are some fabulous speakers you've got, the leviathan's must be close to the ultimate midbass horns!
    I've been searching for the BRH90 for years wanting to try them, but I havent't found any yet. They seem to be very rare.

This is exactly the type of info I was looking for, first hand experience! It seems that dual driver midbass horns behave differently to a dual driver open baffle.
    Maybe there is something to my initial theory about the sound merging between the two drivers before exiting the horn..
    Polar measurements would be fantastic, yes please

Hello Rune;

It has been very windy here all weekend. I will get at this next weekend.

The good Community stuff is indeed now hard to find. You pretty much end up buying someones whole Community inventory to get the pieces you want.

Back soon.
    Barry.
    If we knew what the hell we were doing, we wouldn't call it research would we.

Quote Originally Posted by 1audiohack View Post
    Hello Rune;

It has been very windy here all weekend. I will get at this next weekend.

The good Community stuff is indeed now hard to find. You pretty much end up buying someones whole Community inventory to get the pieces you want.

Back soon.
    Barry.

Your wind is our fires!

Thread Information