Thread: JBL Nd310ii Diy Tweeter Protection

JBL Nd310ii Diy Tweeter Protection

Hello Everyone, this is my very first post here and have a question I hope can be answered. I had recently purchased a pair of Jbl Nd310ii second hand and yes I did demo them in not the best area and found once I arrived home that one of the tweeters were blown, I did fortunately find a factory replacement that I had ordered to get them back in mint working condition.

Seeing that I plan on keeping these speakers is it possible for me to add a Polyfuse in line with the tweeters for protection? If so, What amp should the poly be hold and max? or is there a better option for protecting the tweeters? I ask because I have heard that these tweeters are notorious for blowing.

Thank you all in advance

Justin

I wouldn’t add a fuse. As long as you don’t clip your amplifier you shouldn’t have any problems. They aren’t going to fill a stadium with sound, but in typical domestic settings you should be fine with a quality amp and a bit of restraint.

Widget

Thank you Mr. Widget. I don't plan on cranking them at all but if the urge kicked in and I decided to I'd just have to listen for any distortion, I just worry due to these tweeters getting rarer and rarer to find I literally had to order from Speaker Exchange for them.

I was going to say the same thing about clipping, but it's not always obvious... and there's always temptation.

If you can solder and perhaps mount these where you can see you're beating up your tweeter (perhaps behind the grill in the port),
    these might provide some comfort:

https://www.parts-express.com/speake...-lamp--260-231

I've used automotive dome(interior) lights for both high/midrange drivers for years.they are rated for 12 volt 1.8 amps.napa stores sell the older style for like a buck each.I ask for the dome light for ford e-series van when buying them. Cheers
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Tweeters are destroyed by heat, not power per se. Heat is generated by amp clipping and/or distorted audio sources. Of course the cheaper the tweeter the easier they are to overheat. Point being that even with a really high powered amp, given good clean audio sources and modest SPLs, you shouldn't cook a tweeter.

Thread Information