Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Jbl 4349

Quote Originally Posted by Titanium Dome View Post
    I've looked for a price at four retailers who say they carry them but cannot find an MSRP for the Acheron Designer. Any idea?
    They are almost $20K for a pair. But that does include the amps, active crossover, and DSP.

Widget

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    This is the 12" two-way that has me excited. Not aesthetically, but it has a proper 4" compression driver and a tough as blazes 12" woofer. It has respectable bass performance solo, but is designed to be augmented.

https://meyersound.com/download/ache...=58b9e6f0d9b9a

PS: 100% made in California if that matters.

Widget
    Even the cone is made from californian trees, a real 100%, not a 100% assembled in..

Quote Originally Posted by dn92 View Post
    Even the cone is made from californian trees, a real 100%, not an 100% assembled in..
    It gives them that smoky sound.

Last year I took a factory tour and watched them make the cones... pretty cool to see a paper cone being pulled out of a vat of slurry.

Widget

It gives them that smoky sound.

Last year I took a factory tour and watched them make the cones... pretty cool to see a paper cone being pulled out of a vat of slurry.

Widget
    Picture? Video?

(Not meant to encourage industrial espionage.)
    Out.

Quote Originally Posted by Titanium Dome View Post
    Picture? Video?

(Not meant to encourage industrial espionage.)
    Absolutely Verboten!

I think there are very few loudspeaker companies who make their cones, spiders, and surrounds in-house.

Widget

The 4349 arrived as planned last Friday, they have been playing ever since for at least 8 hours a day. How the sound signature has changed during the burn-in is insane, they went from a very sloppy bass and compressed top, to a very punchy and dynamic bass with a very wide and open top without any trace of sibilance. Right now they are screaming at me, begging me to go even louder although I'm already half deaf from listening to Neil Young's "Like A Hurricane" at insane volume.

The finish compared to the JBL 4429 and especially the 4367, is immaculate, all lines match up perfectly and the black paint/oil treatment (don't know the English word for that) is also perfect including the sharp edges.

My initially thoughts about the 4349 was that horn/woofer ratio was wrong and that it looked funny, but that is not the case in real life, I have attached a few pictures for you to judge. The one with the flat screen TV is to give you an idea of the size, the TV is 65" and the speakers are 2,5 meters apart.

Name:  IMG_0451.jpg
Views: 1939
Size:  62.1 KBName:  IMG_0452.jpg
Views: 2182
Size:  58.4 KB

It's a whole new world for me, I can't think of anything bad about these speakers at the moment , normally I have at least 2 or 3 things I don't like and fool around with placement for weeks. The 4349 I placed for "best look in the room", and have absolutely no plans about moving them.

I know WE don't believe in "new classics", that the vintage JBL is better than all the new stuff, and JBL is not the same without GT, but I'm telling you, the 4349 will prove us all wrong....a star is born

They look great! See you got the stands to! Glad you are happy with them. So how do they image with the new waveguide?? I really enjoy my M2 waveguides if they are anything like them must be impressive!

Rob
    "I could be arguing in my spare time"

Quote Originally Posted by DK11706 View Post
    ...I know WE don't believe in "new classics", that the vintage JBL is better than all the new stuff, and JBL is not the same without GT, but I'm telling you, the 4349 will prove us all wrong....a star is born
    Time marches on. I don't think the vintage speakers are better than the newer models. The M2, Array, Synthesis, Everest speakers outperform the vintage stuff by pretty much any measurable and most subjective methods.

I imagine the trickle down from the M2 to these speakers offers excellent results. Way better than a pair of 4311s! Congratulations on the purchase.

Very cool! Nice looking speakers and a nice looking set up. Congratulations!
    Thanks for sharing, please give us an update after a few weeks of listening.

Widget

Quote Originally Posted by Robh3606 View Post
    They look great! See you got the stands to! Glad you are happy with them. So how do they image with the new waveguide?? I really enjoy my M2 waveguides if they are anything like them must be impressive!

Rob

They image pretty well and have a great sense of depth as well. I heard the M2 once and on a scale of 1-10, I would rate the M2 a 10, and the 4349 a 7 or 8. The soundstage is also good, not as good as my former Dynaudio Contour 60 which made the speakers disappear into the wall, but it way better than what I expected from a studio monitors. If my old Dynaudio was a pure 10, then the 4349 would be a 6 or 7.

"Jack of all trades, master of none" seem like a appropriate description

Spinorama

Hi, for those interested, I found the measurements :

Name:  JBL 4349 Spin_6.jpg
Views: 1449
Size:  95.7 KB

Thanks for posting this!
    With such an high crossover frequency for a 12" woofer that was to be expected.

Quote Originally Posted by pos View Post
    Thanks for posting this!
    With such an high crossover frequency for a 12" woofer that was to be expected.
    sure 300 Hz higher than the 4425 ! it makes a lot 's of difference
    sill the cross over point looks bad, indeed

Talking

Back when GT was still at Harman designing really amazing speakers like the Array Series, the S-9900s, the Everests etc., there were really good reasons to get excited by new speaker introductions. Today, yeah, maybe... or maybe not.

Widget
    so that s a may be yes ?

Quote Originally Posted by davidpou View Post
    so that s a may be yes ?
    Do you mean loss of interest?

For me personally, I guess so... not completely, but as JBL has evolved from a company that supported almost every product they ever produced to one that barely supports current products and really sucks about supporting their legacy products, I have lost most of my interest in the brand. I still have a soft spot for the vintage systems and respect the designs of GT.

Widget

Thread Information