Thread: Dirac Live Set-up Listening Impressions

Dirac Live Set-up Listening Impressions

I just upgraded my Emotiva XMC-1 to an XMC-2. It comes with full Dirac Live that I have yet to set-up.

Tried the version I had in the XMC-1 and was EHHH so I never used it. I get a very good sense of space in stereo and the Dirac sucked the life out of it and made it more 2 dimensional and flattened it back into the speakers plane if that makes any sense. Maybe it was me with the set-up??? Curious about what the updated version will do.

How has Dirac worked out for any other users on the forum??

Rob
    "I could be arguing in my spare time"

I still haven’t received my Dirac interface box from Emotiva. I’ll let you know when I get mine, but it should be a huge change, as I’ve been too lazy to sit down and EQ manually, and I know my line source surrounds need it.
    That the internet contains a blog documenting your life does not constitute proof that your existence is valid. Sorry.

Did you update to the latest software 2.1?? Got an email last night. Worked like a charm using a USB stick. Saved my settings and was able to reload them after the update. Still waiting for mine as well. How do you like it right out of the box??

Rob

I did the FW update to 2.1; went well. I have a RMC-1, and have been moderately happy with it. Very happy today - set up Roonlabs software playing to the RMC-1 through a Bryston BDP-1 and it sounds great, and Roon handles my library much better than my previous options - The Bryston couldn’t manage the library, and Sonos was slow and lacked in metadata. So, I’m sitting here listening happily. Sounds very good through the Array1400’s in reference stereo, Bi-amped by a Bryston 9bSST.

On movies, I do miss my old Lexicon MC-12, which I feel sounded better - more detailed in the highs, though there are many variables to consider, and digging it out of the basement to compare just isn’t worth it. I’m going to reserve judgement until I can do some EQ’ing, either REW or Dirac. My biggest complaint with the Emotiva is HDMI. I have all 4K HDMI 2.0 sources, and two displays - Sony projector and LCD, that are both 4K HDMI 2.1, and the RMC-1 has a real problem outputting a picture - I turn the system and one display on, and then often have to toggle inputs on the RMC-1, wait 20sec, toggle again, until the picture appears, or sometimes have to go behind the a rack and unplug the HDMI cable to the display I’m not using. I’ve learned to deal with it, but am hoping some future FW update fixes this.
    That the internet contains a blog documenting your life does not constitute proof that your existence is valid. Sorry.

A bit Off Topic

Quote Originally Posted by HCSGuy View Post
    Very happy today - set up Roonlabs software playing to the RMC-1 through a Bryston BDP-1 and it sounds great, and Roon handles my library much better than my previous options -
    I strongly urge anyone interested in music to try the Roon interface. As HCSGuy says, it manages your library and merges it with Tidal or Qobuz seamlessly and audio quality is excellent.

Roon is compatible with a wide range of products at many price points.

Widget

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    I strongly urge anyone interested in music to try the Roon interface. As HCSGuy says, it manages your library and merges it with Tidal or Qobuz seamlessly and audio quality is excellent.

Roon is compatible with a wide range of products at many price points.

Widget
    I was a little surprised by the price, though - lifetime license is now $699; I think it was $499 when I started looking at it a year ago.

I turn the system and one display on, and then often have to toggle inputs on the RMC-1, wait 20sec, toggle again, until the picture appears, or sometimes have to go behind the a rack and unplug the HDMI cable to the display I’m not using. I’ve learned to deal with it, but am hoping some future FW update fixes this.
    Well I'll be I was have some slow switching and picture issues before the update and I only have one source and display! All fixed with the update. Have you let them know??

Sonics are fine love the way it sounds.

Rob

Thread Information