Thread: JBL 2118h highest crossover cut

JBL 2118h highest crossover cut

Hi, what is the highest crossover cut for a JBL 2118h if It works with a super tweeter? Can It work until 5/6 KHz?
    Giuseppe

Hi Giuseppe,

Highest recomended crossover is 3khz for 2118H. Looking at response curve you may be able to stretch the driver a little to say 4khz, playing a bit with the Fletcher Munson ear sensitivity curve. 5-6khz seems far fetched to me. You may have to reconsider your tweeter choice with one that can go lower (i.e. tweeter instead of a supertweeter).

Also consider that when stretching a LF/mid driver it becomes more directional, so for units balancing purpose the other tweeter should also be somewhat directional to blend better with the increased directivity woofer/mid. Regards,

Richard

JBL 2118_manual.pdf

[QUOTE=RMC;431377]Hi Giuseppe,

Highest recomended crossover is 3khz for 2118H. Looking at response curve you may be able to stretch the driver a little to say 4khz, playing a bit with the Fletcher Munson ear sensitivity curve. 5-6khz seems far fetched to me. You may have to reconsider your tweeter choice with one that can go lower (i.e. tweeter instead of a supertweeter).

Also consider that when stretching a LF/mid driver it becomes more directional, so for units balancing purpose the other tweeter should also be somewhat directional to blend better with the increased directivity woofer/mid. Regards,

Richard

So if I were to look for a JBL speaker with these characteristics I would not find anything? Alternatives? A pro full-range to integrate with a supertweeter?
    Giuseppe

Giuseppe,

Unfortunately, i don't have time to do a full search for you but here's two suggestions that may be easier to find than some others.

A small E series musical instrument driver (E110) might get you closer to your objective, but won't necessarily provide hi-fi sound, and will be directional too as it goes up frequency wise.

There are many tweeters that can go lower frequency wise, say 3 khz or less (e.g. 2402 but may be costly or more difficult to find; 2404 is a wide dispersion one though). For some not too costly ones available in Europe you may want to look at the Peerless/Vifa range from tymphany.com, specially in the H series since 2118 & E110 have 97 db and 98 db sensitivity respectively.

Another suggestion, recently member rusty jefferson reported on a little higher sensitivity Monacor tweeter he used and was satisfied with, model DT-25N, you might want to look at that one also. Gotta go. Regards,

Richard

MONACOR DT-25n.pdf

"I could be arguing in my spare time"

The problem is that I don't want change tweeter

Then change woofer for the E-110 or another similar one you find and you may be in business. Or even find a suitable coaxial...

You could go to a 5" 2105/ 104 depending on what you want to do.

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...The-LE5-Matrix

Rob
    "I could be arguing in my spare time"

And the 2404 in the 4612 had a 2402 diaphragm (D8R075) so it could cross over that low, 4000Hz IIRC. They called it the 2404H-1.

Thread Information