Thread: DIY Acoustic Panels or Bass Traps

DIY Acoustic Panels or Bass Traps

Just curious if any of you have tried to make any. I have getting meals delivered in the Covid mess and have been saving up the recycled denim insulation. I now have quite a bit 32x32x16. It really came in handy doing in-room measurements to kill the floor bounce. I could make 8 4" 16x32 with the pile or any combination with those basic dimensions. So any ideas??

Rob
    "I could be arguing in my spare time"

Are you a geriatric? ....Lol.

Are you a geriatric? ....Lol.
    LOL no not yet anyway! It's easier than cooking for 1.

Rob

If this helps at all ....
    I did some work for a firm in Glasgow that does turnkey broadcst studios. Their general solution was to make the last layer in the studio from 2 x 4 framing with Rockwool Batts between the studs. This was then covered with cosmetic acoustically transparent cloth,
    Using the same method they also made smaller acoustic panels based on 2 x 2 framing. Could be 3ft x 2ft + or - placed according to need
    Rockwool batts are available in 2"
    You can make effective bass traps in triangular format using 4" batts and sawing either triangles and stacking them or laying them vertically and sawing into a triangular form. It saws very easily.

Worked very well and not expensive or difficult to make,

Quote Originally Posted by Robh3606 View Post
    Just curious if any of you have tried to make any. I have getting meals delivered in the Covid mess and have been saving up the recycled denim insulation. I now have quite a bit 32x32x16. It really came in handy doing in-room measurements to kill the floor bounce. I could make 8 4" 16x32 with the pile or any combination with those basic dimensions. So any ideas??
    Take a look at the video "Acoustic Treatments" in the link below. Many of these videos are a deeper dive than most hobbyists will have the background to fully understand or patience to get through, but I'm sure you will find this extremely helpful.

https://www.avproedge.com/news/the-e...s-every-monday

Widget

Nice series. Thanks for the link!

I don't recommend -starting- with the 3hr(!) calibration and equalization (C&E) video unless already familiar with the concepts that culminate to such a presentation.

Opinion on this particular C&E video: It's good info (albeit not particularly detailed, which would be difficult in this format),
    and a bit gabby due to the interactive format (presentation/conversation/interactive webinar-ish). At least they captured it
    Appreciate their investment in putting this out publicly.

Probably best suited for folks trying to understand what goes into a quality C&E process.. or those deciding if this is something they want to delve deeper into.
    Appears that they offer classes for actual hands-on training, vs concepts and general process (which are both helpful).
    There's a lot to learn and even limiting it to 3hrs required skimming through potential material a bit (also noted by the presenter).

Good stuff.

Thanks Widget!

Rob

Acoustic panels may work with denim, strategically placed, bass traps, doubt it. Below ~100hz, unless it's like over 18 inch thick, will just likely deaden above 150hz even more. Even if it's thick enough, bass doesn't sound right IMO, IME, to me in my room with my system.

Bass issues are better served by swarm systems. S9900's here with a 4 sub dba bass arrray is the ticket. The panels are just helping the mids and highs when it's cranked. Lower volumes the room isn't much of an issue.

Hello jfine

Not really planning on bass traps. Just have some oblique reflection points, from angled ceilings, that I wanted to try placing a panel or two to see what if any difference it would make. I am happy with what I have but it can't hurt to try something and see what happens.

Rob

Thread Information