Thread: DIY Speaker Kits

DIY Speaker Kits

Anyone have personal experience on a set that impressed them?

I just learned about this one last week. It looks really interesting, and he appears to have done his homework. I would like to build a pair of these.

https://youtu.be/f6S2V9D9_08

Description and measurements.
    https://croweaudio.blogspot.com/2020...edium.html?m=1

The CAD file, or CNC baffle, or flatpack kit.
    https://josephcrowe.com/collections/...-1159-products

I've built speakers using kits from Pi Speakers. I use the 2Pi kits for small spaces, such as a bathroom. I use 4Pi kits in a LCR setup.
    I had the opportunity to meet Wayne Parham, the man behind the speakers, at the Midwest Audiofest many years ago. He is a very good guy. And he is a very good engineer. His kits involve solid design based on good theory and backed up by measurements. Read his white paper on the evolution of his speakers on the pispeakers.com website.
    I have systems that include M2, 250Ti, heavily modified Klipschorns and 4Pi speakers. They are all super good in their own way. Sometimes, when I think of what I'd do if I could only keep one set of speakers, I can come up with some use cases where the 4Pi speakers win. I suppose flexibility and simplicity is at the heart of why I might choose the 4Pi.
    What do I like about 4Pi speakers? High efficiency, dynamic, good imaging, not tiring. What do I like about Pi kits? Building my own cabinets. DIY for a guy who would do a mediocre job at best on the design/test/optimize cycle. Component prices are good in his kits. Component options run the price range so you can go pretty far down the curve of diminishing returns. The white paper gave me a detailed view into design intent. And clean, dynamic speakers are what I like.
    I built a pair of 4Pi speakers as a graduation present for my son. I'm going to do the same for my daughter in the next year. I'd better get busy with that.

I have met Wayne as well he is a good guy and very free with his knowledge. I heard a couple of his kits and they sounded very good.

Rob
    "I could be arguing in my spare time"

Thread Information