Thanks folks...

Re cones... took the woofer in need of a new surround to Speakershop in Toronto. Decided to recone the driver. I will compare to the other when I get it back and may recone the other one too, just so they are the same.

Re horns... I spray painted them a satin finish. My experience with flat black is that it doesn't hold up to handling as well. They don't look bad. Pic below.

Re controls... the l-pads were a mess, I could not dial in the right level. I decided to bypass them altogether with 3 ohm and 13 ohm resistors. I also bypassed the HF control with no resistor at all. I like the extra zing on top. I don't want to mess with removing the foilcal and trying to clean the controls. The l-pad only has very small holes on the back and I think I would just be wasting the deoxit if I try.

Re cabinet... restore-a-finish helped, but can't do miracles. The side look really good now, but thinking of adding custom cut smoked glass to hide the badly scratched tops.

Re posts... I found some binding posts spring loaded like the JBL ones, but they will accepted a banana plug in the spring loaded hole. I prefer the banana plug really be held in place, so I opted for these. See pic below.

Finally, I came across this thread, cheat sheet for restoring the 4430s. Lots of good stuff there.

https://audiokarma.org/forums/index....-sheet.673961/

Name:  processed-2.jpg
Views: 456
Size:  146.3 KB
Name:  processed-3.jpg
Views: 439
Size:  67.8 KB
Name:  processed-4.jpg
Views: 372
Size:  101.6 KB