Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cabinet info

Quote Originally Posted by diarmadhim View Post
    Hello all,
    New member...finally! (Thanks again Robh3606)

Picked these speakers up recently from a thrift shop disgustingly cheap.
    Anyhow, the speakers are JBL's from 1962. 16ohm D130s, 075s with n2400 x-overs. The cabinets have a tag "Audio Crafters model V-2".
    Anyone know anything about Audio Crafters? I can't find anything about them. I assume a co. that isn't around any longer that made speaker cabs and or furniture. I assume the original owner got JBL components and dropped them in a cab made by this company to house them.

Photos

Boss says no way these cabs are staying in the house, so I guess I will probably have a project in the near future.
    Very nice find. Although the cabinets may be well made, I agree with your wife, they are not the best lookers. BUT, before you start changing, upgrading, etc., etc., take some time to research what the strengths and weaknesses are of the drivers.

In my humble opinion, they are better suited for acoustic music, Jazz, Classical, Folk, etc. which is what people with money who bought JBL in the 1950's and 60's were listening to. If you're into Classic Rock, these will likely disappoint you, new capacitors and grill cloth won't help...

Quote Originally Posted by diarmadhim View Post
    She just doesn't like how they look. I think a more upright rectangular wouldn't be as bad. They look like end tables, and she doesn't like the grill cloth for sure.

I did listen to them, in fact A/B'd them against some polk monitor 10s, and some DCM TimeWindow 3's. These sounded really good. made the other two sets sound muddy? I guess that might be the appropriate word. These are clean...articulate I guess. Vocals sound great. Bass is a bit lacking, but nothing too bad.
    I think they could probably all benefit from crossover rebuilds. Though the JBL's sound good enough, I would hesitate to change anything on them just yet.

I was using my Sherwood S-9910 receiver to run them, may swap in the Pioneer sx-5590 (1250) and see the differences.
    In fact I'm on my own this weekend so I may have to drag them back in, in a bit and enjoy them while I can and try some different music styles.
    I inherited my late father's S-9910 and his L65 speakers. Match made in heaven. That receiver puts out closer to 120 w into 8 ohms. It's a very under appreciated and under rated receiver

Thread Information