Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cabinet info

Cabinet info

Hello all,
    New member...finally! (Thanks again Robh3606)

Picked these speakers up recently from a thrift shop disgustingly cheap.
    Anyhow, the speakers are JBL's from 1962. 16ohm D130s, 075s with n2400 x-overs. The cabinets have a tag "Audio Crafters model V-2".
    Anyone know anything about Audio Crafters? I can't find anything about them. I assume a co. that isn't around any longer that made speaker cabs and or furniture. I assume the original owner got JBL components and dropped them in a cab made by this company to house them.

Photos

Boss says no way these cabs are staying in the house, so I guess I will probably have a project in the near future.

Greetings. Glad you made it in. Those look pretty mid-century modern, and appear to be in good condition. Maybe the Boss will come around. New grill cloth maybe?

Glad you could join us!

The JBL 030 system that you have was probably the most popular JBL system back in the early days of Hi-Fi and Stereo. It was typical for speaker manufacturers back then to sell speaker systems without enclosures for the hobbyist who could then build their own from plans, conjure up their own masterpiece, or buy a cabinet or cabinet kit from a third party.

If you are facing resistance in the WAF department due to the size of these speakers, you may be out of luck. If it is the look of them that is the problem, you have many options.

Here is a simple enclosure guide for JBL systems. You should look at the 3 cu ft system. #4 JBL PROFESSIONAL ENCLOSURE GUIDEjblpro.com › site_elements › jbl-professional-enclosure-...

Have you listened to your new speakers? Do you like their sound? I found them to be very dynamic and quite enjoyable when augmented with a bit of EQ.

Widget

She just doesn't like how they look. I think a more upright rectangular wouldn't be as bad. They look like end tables, and she doesn't like the grill cloth for sure.

I did listen to them, in fact A/B'd them against some polk monitor 10s, and some DCM TimeWindow 3's. These sounded really good. made the other two sets sound muddy? I guess that might be the appropriate word. These are clean...articulate I guess. Vocals sound great. Bass is a bit lacking, but nothing too bad.
    I think they could probably all benefit from crossover rebuilds. Though the JBL's sound good enough, I would hesitate to change anything on them just yet.

I was using my Sherwood S-9910 receiver to run them, may swap in the Pioneer sx-5590 (1250) and see the differences.
    In fact I'm on my own this weekend so I may have to drag them back in, in a bit and enjoy them while I can and try some different music styles.

That's a nice score. If you run across a stack of decent Dynaco, Fisher, Marantz, or McIntosh tube electronics in your travels, you will have a time machine to the days when '57 Chevies were new.

I agree with Widget's comments, but I want to point out he's assuming you have the experience and fineness of feeling, probably true, to not try to get big deep bass out of that D130 because that might easily wreck the surround of a cone that is not made for deep bass, may be fragile because of age and is absolutely not available.
    "Audio is filled with dangerous amateurs." --- Tim de Paravicini

Oh, I've been keeping an eye out for that kind of stuff for quite awhile!
    I'm not a basshead! lol well maybe for a short time in the 80s, but I still wanted it to sound good even then. I like accuracy, I want a piano to sound like there is a piano in the room or whatever instrument...I like actual instruments in music

I wasn't aware that the surrounds aren't available, but it doesn't surprise me. Luckily everything on these look fantastic.
    Most of the stuff I come across, I find for cheap and restore then give to family/friends. I like the hunt and the fix more than collecting stuff.
    Just the idea of keeping great things out of the landfill in our throw away society. Then there is the benefit of introducing or reintroducing decent equipment to people, when they are so used to cheap drivers encased in plastic. The "wow" because they had no idea music could sound like that, or hear something in a song they hadn't before. I've found it harder to find in the last few years though and has typically gotten more expensive as more people find older analog stuff fashionable/cool... or people of a similar mind are cutting our own throats! But as long as it keeps the stuff from disappearing I don't mind.

I spent a ton of time on some DCM TimeFrame 700s a couple years ago, interesting crossover, horrible rotten foam covering. They reside at my folks house...bit of overkill for audio while watching old episodes of Gunsmoke etc haha, but they are being used at least.

On these JBLs, I may take them apart and change the grill cloth to black and see what the wife says.
    I don't mind the cabinets except they both have the 075 in the upper left of the cabinet, I'd rather have them mirrors of one another. Barring that, I will have to make some new cabs, or maybe look out for some JBL cabs or pass them along, I don't have the room to keep cabinets that size if they aren't in use.

Is 3cu ft enclosure typical for this setup?

Quote Originally Posted by diarmadhim View Post
    I can’t say. I think mine were 3.5-4 cu ft. A smaller cabinet will give you a less extended bass response, but will give you a bit of a bump at the low end making the speaker appear to have more bass than you really have. When properly used this can be a good thing.

If you have access to cabinet design software, you can model several options.

Widget

I wasn't aware that the surrounds aren't available, but it doesn't surprise me. Luckily everything on these look fantastic.
    <snip>
    I spent a ton of time on some DCM TimeFrame 700s a couple years ago, interesting crossover, horrible rotten foam covering.
    <snip>
    I don't mind the cabinets except they both have the 075 in the upper left of the cabinet, I'd rather have them mirrors of one another.
    <snip>
    The D130 doesn't have a "surround" per se. The cone has its integrated roll to accommodate its excursion. Later versions used a black treatment around the edge to help preserve that "roll" from deterioration, climate, drying out, etc. Mine are over 60-years old and still look fine.

I have a pair of DCM TimeFrame 500s that, thankfully, do not have foam for surrounds and use a felt dampener in front of the tweeter.

I believe the best of the JBL cabinets for the D130/030 system was something approaching 9 cu. ft. That's what I have. Well, actually I have C35 and C37 enclosures

I like the look of your cabinets. More modern black grilles which I did to my Dad's "Acousticraft" cabinet which housed his original 030 system purchased in 1958, might help make peace at home. Good luck.
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA View Post
    I have a pair of DCM TimeFrame 500s that, thankfully, do not have foam for surrounds and use a felt dampener in front of the tweeter.
    the TF 700s have felt on the tweeters as well, feels like the TW3s do as well, but I haven't taken them down yet. The rotted foam covered the whole enclosure under the grill cloth sock. Closest thing I could find was headliner foam, but didn't use it. Decided that I wasn't going to pass that problem on, so I covered the whole thing in black felt. They look great and you can't tell, other than I assume it's less squishy than intact foam would be.

Thanks for the info and luck! I adjusted the grill cloth color in photoshop and will see what she says once she gets back from her trip.

Forgot to say if you want mirror-image, just cut a hole for the 075 in an opposite corner and cover the old hole with a blanking plate from the back. JBL did it on all their enclosures for mirroring or for different components. A rectangular or triangular piece of particle board painted black with a few wood screws will do it.

I know the D130 is offset, but if there's enough room, don't worry about it. Not knowing the construction of your cabinet, but while you're re-doing the grille cloth, see if the baffle could be flipped front-to-back. That will give you true mirror cabinets.
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA View Post
    see if the baffle could be flipped front-to-back. That will give you true mirror cabinets.
    Exactly what I was thinking, just have to get into them and see how it is constructed. I wasn't paying attention when I pulled the crossovers. but the grill cloth is wrapped around the baffle, so hopefully they will come out easily to replace the cloth and do the flip.

... but the grill cloth is wrapped around the baffle, so hopefully they will come out easily to replace the cloth and do the flip.
    Likely a good sign and should make flipping them a possibility.

I wouldn't stress over getting them mirror imaged for sonic purposes. For speakers like these, it really doesn't matter, but it might make them look better or make you feel better. Regarding the networks, I am not a fan of the JBL networks pre late '70s or so. There is no magic in their design. I would keep them or build new ones with modern parts.

Widget

Well the verdict came in. Change to black grill cloth and they can stay.

I really am enamored with these things. Amazing that something as old and simple as this setup is sound as nice as they do. I may try to copy some JBL cabs in the future, but for now I'm going to enjoy them as they are.

Dennis

Well the verdict came in. Change to black grill cloth and they can stay.
    Awesome!

I really am enamored with these things. Amazing that something as old and simple as this setup is sound as nice as they do.
    Great, I have had a couple of versions of them myself over the years as well as their 12" brother... the 12" D131 was just too lacking in bass for my taste. I personally like the D130 with a bit of a shelving bass bump below 100Hz.

Enjoy!

Widget

I really am enamored with these things. Amazing that something as old and simple as this setup is sound as nice as they do. I may try to copy some JBL cabs in the future, but for now I'm going to enjoy them as they are.
    It is the JBL sound I grew up with ever since my father's first mono system in 1958. There is a certain magic in the way the D130 reproduces the sound of strings from cello to guitar. Very easy to listen to. I'm pretty sure your lady will be glad you kept them.

Thread Information