Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Aftermarket JBL 035Ti

Looks like a nice replacement speaker for yours but, before you spend half the value of your speaker pair, have you determined if your open circuit is between the terminal and the diaphragm, or across the diaphragm? Could be a zero-dollar fix. I'm still betting on that.
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Quote Originally Posted by Mike F View Post
    TI`ll be into it for over $300 in parts alone plus a considerable amount of work to be put in. All of that for speakers that are worth how much?...
    well, that's up to you ..... but I've seen nice ,RTG pairs for under $200US ..about 10 years ago I paid $125 for a pristine pair along with the OEM JBL oak stands.......the L-15's that I'm using now sound as good (IMHO) ..the L-19's I'm working on should sound even better.

I would balance how much time & money you put in against need, and resale value , (in case you don't love them)

LATER; you realize that used 035Ti's probably have rotted foam under the Ti dome , just as 044Ti's do ?? PIA, to change that.
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Not in my neck of the woods unfortunately.
    I`m at the mercy of Ebay for stuff like that and it`s been my experience that most sellers are not very knowledgeable. There is a big difference between working and working right.
    I bought the $69.00 knockoffs...Far as I can remember the sound of the 035Ti's the knockoffs sound okay to me..Not saying they are as good but for my old hearing they sound good

I tend to agree with macaroonie/Widget's approach vs Rusty's, though there's a sizeable 5-6 db high end peak on axis with the Audax tweeter referred to, but it may be reduced with EQ. I don't dislike the suggestion, simply think maybe you are able to do better VHF wise with another one?

4408 system sensitivity is rated at 89 db so i'm wondering if you really need a 96 db tweeter, there's probably an L-Pad on that JBL tweeter to match woofer sensitivity anyway? The Audax is 90 db, crossover frequency also matters, the latter appears to be ok for this. Depending on which way you go you might have to modify the crossover as mentioned before.

With all due respect there's another reason i'd take a different route than Rusty: its controlled (limited) dispersion of sound from horn loaded tweeters. Having many, a sample is shown on pics. The horn loading of the Monacor not only increases sensitivity but also directivity. It may be less desirable in view of application/type of box here, and well suited for another one.

Linked to the preceeding is the fact that monitor speakers are generally closer to hi-fi speaker sound than to sound reinforcement ones. I use higher sensitivity & directivity dome in horn tweeters in more "civilized" satellite sound reinforcement boxes i make (e.g. the two pairs on the left, note the 2nd pair is similar to the Monacor). While the two pairs on the right have much less "horn loading", therefore better sound dispersion but somewhat lower output sensitivity.

The four pairs show at the same time different levels and ways of doing "horn loading" (ways: on the 2 pairs at right its executed differently looking at the faceplates). Naturally with its flat faceplate the Audax has no "horn loading" and probably increased dispersion with little lower sensitivity...

On the practical side, since he's in Canada, to avoid the painful currency exchange rate and the higher cost of US shipping, he should have a look at the Solen.ca web site where they have LOTS of tweeters. For example, they do have Widget's Audax TW025A0 at $45.CAD and also sell the dome repair kit for such at $30 CAD. I'd be surprised if he couldn't find an acceptable tweeter at a reasonable price. Regards,

Sorry for light reflections on the domes in the pics, purpose here was to show different faceplate shapes, not really the domes.

Richard

Name:  IMG_1833.jpg
Views: 658
Size:  78.5 KBName:  IMG_1836.jpg
Views: 565
Size:  74.9 KB

Thanks to all who chimed in.
    It seems like the consensus is anything but the Chinese knock offs. There seems to be quite a bit of options to choose from and many would likely be better than the original 035.
    At this point I`ll look into the possibility of repairing the ones I have, Ill report back with my findings.

Quote Originally Posted by RMC View Post
    .....With all due respect there's another reason i'd take a different route than Rusty: its controlled (limited) dispersion of sound from horn loaded tweeters. Having many, a sample is shown on pics. The horn loading of the Monacor not only increases sensitivity but also directivity. It may be less desirable in view of application/type of box here, and well suited for another one....
    With all due respect, the little Monocor tweeter has good dispersion characteristics and the good sensitivity needed to possibly avoid changing the crossovers, and I've listened to it. It sounds good to my ears.(https://heissmann-acoustics.de/en/test-monacor-dt-25n/) The edge diffraction on that cabinet is a bigger problem than the Monocor dispersion characteristics. I would also point out that Studio Monitor speakers are generally speaking designed to be listened to on axis, but let's not overthink this:
    Quote Originally Posted by RMC View Post
    ...I'd be surprised if he couldn't find an acceptable tweeter at a reasonable price. Regards, ...
    And that's the point.

Thanks to all who chimed in.
    It seems like the consensus is anything but the Chinese knock offs. There seems to be quite a bit of options to choose from and many would likely be better than the original 035.
    At this point I`ll look into the possibility of repairing the ones I have, Ill report back with my findings.
    Please do.

I'll admit to a bit of bias. I have never been a fan of JBL's dome tweeters. I think the management at JBL (Harman) agreed back in the day... their solution was to buy Audax.

Widget

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    Please do.

I'll admit to a bit of bias. I have never been a fan of JBL's dome tweeters. I think the management at JBL (Harman) agreed back in the day... their solution was to buy Audax.

Widget
    033 in the 110 , 40 etc

Please do.

Widget
    On a bit of a tangent, I believe it's notable that after almost 20 years of LHFs being in existence, we were never exposed to ( by Giskard/Techbot/G.T. ) any official curves/specs for any of JBL's HiFi tweeters.

I know Widget ran some CLIO curves back in 2005 ( for the 035Ti and 035Tia) that were hardly complementary .

It's no wonder that companies specializing in recones and parts-supply don't feel the need to post any performance related data ( when JBL never did so themselves, for their own originals ).

...I'll admit to a bit of bias. I have never been a fan of JBL's dome tweeters....
    Widget
    +1

I wonder if the 052ti was an eventual improvement? Any specs available on that tweeter?

Anyone tried this one? https://reconingspeakers.com/product...r-replacement/

". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

"I could be arguing in my spare time"

Thread Information