Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: K151 vs E155

Cabaret Series 2

Richard

JBL Cabaret_Series2 12-86[1].pdf

Cabaret Reference chart showing which model drivers were used in each box.

Richard

JBL Cabaret Series Reference Chart (1-1983)[1].pdf

Have some other Cabaret and E series stuff but file size too large to post here. All info posted should answer your questions and keep you busy for a while. That's it for now. Regards,

Richard

Hi Richard,

Thanks for the info posted, I had read these things in the past but hadnt had a chance to find them all in one place and compare. From reading these, it looks like the E155 was the upgraded driver, as the power handling has double from the 151. It's got different T/S parameters, Qts, VAS XMAX etc, but same flux, so all in all quite a different beast. Soon I will run them up and compare them. I'll take some measurements too and post on here for others to see.

It was the kit interchangeability that had me puzzled, as the K151 has been reconed with a 155 kit. So it got me concerned that perhaps the voice coil is not centred properly in the gap, or its wrong somehow in some other way to the K151 magnet and chassis. I can see that the K151 and E151 are the same just with different magnet construction and a slight increase in power handling. Also I've seen pictures of the E155 with an aluminium dustcap, but I'm struggling to understand why. I would have thought the Alu dustcap improves things in the midrange, as I would expect from the 15 and 12 inch drivers, E140, E120 etc. But I would never have thought to run an 18 inch driver so high. Is that what these 18s were designed for? To be able to run up into the midrange?

As far as application, I will be using all of these 18s in the 4695 cabaret cabs, with 4628b's on top. If I were to build a horn sub for a disco I wouldn't feel too happy about using the old K151 for that kind of duty anyway as I'd be worried about it surviving.

Thanks

Hi Budney,

RE "Also I've seen pictures of the E155 with an aluminium dustcap, but I'm struggling to understand why. I would have thought the Alu dustcap improves things in the midrange, as I would expect from the 15 and 12 inch drivers, E140, E120 etc. But I would never have thought to run an 18 inch driver so high. Is that what these 18s were designed for? To be able to run up into the midrange?"

All pics i've seen of E155 in 4695 boxes have Alu dustcap, this to extend response somewhat. Since it can also be used for bass guitar, not only sub use.

However, if you look at the Cabaret docs i posted you will see the 4695 frequency range covered is 30-2khz @ -10 db, not really high in the midrange in view of -10db spec, then actually more like low mid with a really usable frequency range, say 1khz or so...

Richard

Thread Information