Thread: Difference between the D130 and the D130A, OLD STYLE?

Difference between the D130 and the D130A, OLD STYLE?

I have one of each. D130 had an aluminum dust cap (I'm not sure if it was original). Both 16 ohm. both need re-cones.
    What was the difference between the 2 models?

D130, 16 ohm (Single) (Old Style) Ser. # 5104
    D130A, 16 ohm (Single) (Old Style) Ser. # 10944

Thanks,

EricName:  IMG_5626.jpg
Views: 593
Size:  75.3 KB

Attached Images Attached Images   

Visibly, there is a difference in the thickness between a D130 and a 130A so they do not use the same cones, even as replacements. (There are also internal differences such as wire material.)

That said, yours appears to be a D130A, so as to thickness, I would say put them side by side and run a straight edge between them and see if it tilts. If it tilts, the D130A is similar to the 130A and you can't use the same cones as the D130.

I spent some time comparing the frames. There are just about identical aside from a few casting marks. You mentioned wire material. Other than the leads from the terminals to the voice coils, I don't believe there is any wiring in the magnet structure or frame. Did you mean the voice coils were different from one to the other?

Thanks,

Eric

Not sure when the differences between the D130 and the 130A/B/C would have been fully established. The D130A may not be exactly like either; I don't know. Those look quite early and very clean. I would cushion the magnet housing when placing them on a hard surface. Collectors being what they are, a little scratch or rub mark could cost you money one day. Fully differentiated, the D130 Extended Range Driver would have an aluminum voice coil and the 130A/B/C woofer copper. Check the full depth (height lying cone down) of each for a difference there. Also, show us some photos of the cones. Neither one is reconeable with factory kits today.
    "Audio is filled with dangerous amateurs." --- Tim de Paravicini

I see the D130 doesn't have a cone. The other one also?

Thanks Dave,

(Just put a cushion between the magnets! Good advice). The depth of the frames is the same on both. You may have found the difference, extended range vs woofer, Copper VC vs alum. VC. Maybe the gauss rating was different way back when new. I picked up the D130A the other day. It was mislabeled on craigslist and I didn't realize it until I got home. It was late, I was tired and hungry and my glasses kept fogging up due to the mask I was wearing! Anyways, got it home and flipped it over to see it was not a 130A but a D130A. I had the D130 sitting around and was wondering how close I might have been to scoring a second to make a pair. The D130 needs recone with coil, the D130A needs new cone, the coil is OK.

I guess basically I have 2 singles that are not considered a match and both will have aftermarket cones. Could be worse.

Thanks,

Eric M.

The early D130's are known to have narrower gaps. Not sure when the change was made, but probably by the mid-fifties. Coils made for the majority of D130's may not fit or may be so tight as to be impossible to install cleanly.

Quote Originally Posted by speakerdave View Post
    The early D130's are known to have narrower gaps. Not sure when the change was made, but probably by the mid-fifties. Coils made for the majority of D130's may not fit or may be so tight as to be impossible to install cleanly.
    More good news! I'll take a feeler gauge to the gap. Any idea what it should be for the modern coils to fit? Looking at the old coil from the D130, it is aluminum.

According to library information here, even the D130A was not a full range speaker. Much like the later 130A, it had a copper voice-coil and a paper dust dome. My assumption is the D130A and the 130A are the same speaker with a name change to fix any confusion that existed early on.
    http://www.lansingheritage.org/image...d175/page1.jpg
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

For detailed specs please make contact with very knowledgeable reconer LH member 'edgewound' via private message here or through his Facebook page I believe under Upland Speaker Repair.

Thread Information