Thread: Replacement UHF tweeter JBL K2 S 9800SE

Replacement UHF tweeter JBL K2 S 9800SE

I am the owner of the K2 S9800SE. Due to measuring with my DEQX HDP3 the mic started oscillating. The volume of the mic was set to high.
    So the tweeter is damaged. I contacted harmansupport. They told me that there are no diaphragms for the UHF tweeter, the 045BE. I dont understand this. For such an expensive speaker.
    I own for more then 40 years JBL products. This never happened to me. Is this the new policy of Harman? The only option is to buy a new tweeter.

Welcome to the Lansing Forum. Apologies for the delay in getting you on board.

Two things:

1. Due to the design of this tweeter and the precision required in its assembly, I wouldn’t attempt to replace the diaphragm even if one was available. If you can get a replacement 045Be, I would suggest getting it.

2. Getting replacement diaphragms and recone kits from JBL/Harman has been a growing problem over the last decade or so.

Before Samsung purchased Harman, Harman’s management had little interest in supporting their legacy. Perhaps with the new ownership if enough people contacted Harman and complained about the lack of support things could change for the better, but if a large number of us don’t reach out to them requesting service support, I can imagine all of these fine products becoming disposable.

Widget

Thank you for getting me on board.
    I appreciate your advice buying a new one, altough it must be possible to replace the diaphragm in my opinion, nevertheless i try to talk again to harmansupport getting me sent a new diaphragm.

Quote Originally Posted by Kor55 View Post
    Thank you for getting me on board.
    I appreciate your advice buying a new one, altough it must be possible to replace the diaphragm in my opinion, nevertheless i try to talk again to harmansupport getting me sent a new diaphragm.
    I believe you will need a small anechoic chamber and a test setup with calibration curve to hand dial in the installation... this is how I have seen HF diaphragm installation/verification at both JBL and Meyer Sound.

If you can get the diaphragm I imagine you can get it to work, but I doubt it will be installed at 100% spec. Without this serious level of verification I doubt your two speakers will match in FR and distortion. I believe the reject rate without shims and great care is quite high for these tiny UHF drivers.

Widget

Thread Information