Thread: Sub1500 In Altec Corner Horn ??

mrbluster

Sub1500 In Altec Corner Horn ??

Would a SUB1500 be happy in a Altec 606 corner horn cabinet? Does this combination make any sense? Appreciate your thoughts

Mrbluster

woofer in horn

Quote Originally Posted by mrbluster
    Would a SUB1500 be happy in a Altec 606 corner horn cabinet? Does this combination make any sense? Appreciate your thoughts

Mrbluster
    Hi mrbluster,

I can't imagine that it's the right speaker for a corner horn, or another horn system. For a horn system you need a driver with a medium or hard surround. The woofer in a good horn doesn't need a big X max (amplitude) in cause of a high damping of the cone loaded by the horn. The deep fres of the SUB1500 can not be damped in the low frequency region of the horn, so you can damage the woofer.

HP
    Please help us save more info about the vintage systems. Let us register your speakers and drivers.

mrbluster
    Thanks HP,

I didn't think it was a good match, but I wanted to be sure I wasn't missing something. I guess I will return to my original plan, which is to use the Sub1500 in a vacant Olympus cabinet.

Mrbluster

Obsolete
    I'd just cut a hole in the wall and mount it in that. Make sure the room behind it is air tight and lined with fiberglass. You might want to replace the 2x4 studs in the room behind it with 2x10's, 2x4's will just end up getting all busted up like matchsticks.

I want a picture of the person that finished the 'room' crawling out the 13.75" hole

Obsolete
    I usually contract these two for squeezing into LF cutouts and doing whatever's required inside the enclosures...
    Attached Images Attached Images  

wow

Quote Originally Posted by Giskard
    I usually contract these two for squeezing into LF cutouts and doing whatever's required inside the enclosures...
    Giskard,

do they have a genuine JBL spare part number?
    Maybe that I order them from Harman

HP
    Please help us save more info about the vintage systems. Let us register your speakers and drivers.

The Altec 606 is not a corner horn. It is a standard bass reflex enclosure with a trangular cross-section designed to be placed in a corner. It is around 6 cu. ft. in volume. It actually might make for an interesting sub enclosure factoring in the boundary reinforcement from the corner placement. It would need additional bracing given that enclosures from that era tend to be structurally deficient.

http://www.lansingheritage.org/images/altec/plans/1960's-lf-design/page15.jpg
    Regards

Don McRitchie

mrbluster

Altec 606

Thanks, Don.

I've heard this type of speaker described as a "corner horn" but I guess this is just "popular vernacular". It is, indeed, as you describe a triangular-shaped bass reflex cabinet. If I were to try it, would you close the port or leave it open?

Thanks again.

Regards,

Mrbluster

.02 Usd

If you're so inclined, why not try it? 6ft3 is a bit outside the intended (sealed) usage for the
    SUB1500, but some folks here (myself included) have tried large-ish/ported boxes with it
    and been pleased with the results (just not that large, as far as I'm aware).
    My guess? unless you keep the volume low, you will find every loose joint in that
    nice old box. A cloth, accordion-roll 15" driver might be a better match.

-grumpy

transducergeek

A stereo pair? Olsen Twins.

Quote Originally Posted by Giskard
    Which one is Left, and which is for the Right?

Thread Information