Thread: Altec Lansing 421-8h series ll info wanted

Altec Lansing 421-8h series ll info wanted

I have an opportunity to acquire an Altec Lansing 421-8h Series ll bass guitar speaker, damaged with a frozen cone. Cost for me to buy is negligible, but it appears it won't be inexpensive to repair. I'd like to get a little more information before I commit to the project.....

I don't know what the impedance should be. Does the -8h indicate an 8 ohm speaker? Also, is there a significant difference in speakers designated as Series II or is that just an indication of early or later production?

It sounds like the cost to repair will be about 175.00 plus probably about 30.00 shipping each way, so it'll end up costing me about 250.00 in total. I haven't been able to find any online, so I have no idea how that compares with current market value. Any thoughts on this?

I'm currently using a pair of JBL D130F speakers with my guitar amp because the wattage dictates a need for two speakers. The Altec Lansing shows online as a 150 watt driver, so it would allow me to downgrade to a single speaker. The portability aspect makes the Altec a very attractive prospect to me.

Any insights you can offer are appreciated.

D130 are guitar speakers. 421 are bass speakers. To my knowledge, there is no alnico version of the 421 -8h. Great Plains audio is your best friend in this case...

Thanks for your advice. I've managed to locate a company that supplies recone kits for this speaker. I don't think I feel confident installing it myself, but with the parts I can supply, I think I should be able to find a reconer that can do the job.

Greetings from Hood Canal

Are you playing bass or guitar? If your playing bass, my thoughts are that you are going to be better off with the 421 and I'd use two of them rather than 1. If you have the space. What kind of head are you using?

Keep on playing

Ed
    KEEP ON LISTENING!

[QUOTE=Ed Kreamer;430724

Are you playing bass or guitar? If your playing bass, my thoughts are that you are going to be better off with the 421 and I'd use two of them rather than 1. If you have the space. What kind of head are you using?
    [/QUOTE]

I play both bass and guitar. Right now I have a 1970 Fender Twin Reverb chassis (85 watts) enclosed in a head cabinet and a 1968 Fender Dual Showman cabinet with two 15" JBL D130's that I use for guitar, and a Fender Rumble 150 head (160 watts) and a roadbox with two 15" JBL K140's that I use for bass. I have difficulty transporting either speaker cabinet, both from a standpoint of physical size in my vehicle and weight. It would be a big advantage to have a single smaller cabinet that would handle the the power of either amp that I could carry myself and would fit in the hatch of my Nissan Micra. Right now, I'm playing bass in a band, so that's a bigger consideration at the moment, but that might change in the future.

After talking to a technician, I removed the frozen cone because I was told the frozen cone might represent a bigger issue (either dramatic over-powering that could have melted the voice coil into the gap, or a driver that had been dropped and the magnet had off-centered). As he predicted, the magnet had off-centered. I spent most of an afternoon just removing the voice coil which was badly pinched on one side, and trying to recenter the magnet structure so it could be reconed. I eventually decided it couldn't be done, so I abandoned the project. Too bad, because after searching online, I found a NOS Altec Lansing recone kit, which was one piece rather than multiple parts, and I probably could have installed it myself. I did talk to another technician who has an identical speaker that had been freshly reconed that I can purchase for roughly double the price of the recone kit. I'm likely going to do that because I like the sound of the Lansing speakers and it's about the only driver that's rugged enough that one would stand the punishment at high volume.

Thread Information