Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Greg Timbers Interview

Greg Timbers Interview

Was just doing some searches and this popped up. For those who have not seen it I think it's a good read!

Rob

https://positive-feedback.com/interv...g-timbers-jbl/
    "I could be arguing in my spare time"

I hadn’t seen that, thanks Rob.

Thanks Rob,

I had read it before, but it was good to read it again. I'll bet that if we were to sit a spell with him and over a couple of beers, Mr. Timbers would have some fascinating tales to tell.

Ed
    KEEP ON LISTENING!

Your welcome!

Hello Ed

Would I love to talk to him about the double blind testing! Especially in how it related to the Array Series. I was really surprised he was not on board, so to speak, about it's validity. Considering how much I enjoy his designs I would like to know if the voicing was all his or was he pushed to make design changes based on preferences from the DBT results. I would have to say it's all him based on his early work but curious about what happens behind the curtain.

Rob
    "I could be arguing in my spare time"

There seems to be a few typos at the beginning when he describes model numbers of designs done in the seventies.

Would I love to talk to him about the double blind testing! Especially in how it related to the Array Series. I was really surprised he was not on board, so to speak, about it's validity.
    Having sat through a blind listening session in Northridge, with the speaker swap mechanism (Proceed amps visible to the side),
    It was not an environment conducive to relaxed but thoughtful/critical listening. I got the feeling it was more used to sample impressions
    from various groups (perhaps as statistical evidence of what listening parameters were deemed important) and for industry capability demos.

That said, they did devote quite a bit of real estate for that space, so I'm sure it was
    considered important... just not sure it was used for specific product voicing (I would guess not).

The last time this interview came up, I assumed the quoted "4335" should have read 4345. I don't know what a 4335 is. I even commented to the site and got no reply...
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Greg Timbers runs Parasound A21's and Everest DD66000. Interesting. Also gives a nod to Klipsch and Tannoy. I liked reading his response about how speakers have changed over the years:

"Speakers have generally become smoother, more 3-dimensional and much smaller. This means that they are less dynamic on the whole and rather toy like compared to good stuff from the 60s and 70s. Unlike electronics, miniaturization is not a good thing with loudspeakers. There is no substitute for size and horsepower. Nothing much has changed with the laws of physics in the last 100 years so what it takes to make dynamic life-like sound is unchanged. There have been some advances in magnet materials and a bunch of progress in adhesives but not much else."

That's kind of similar to how I felt and my opinion that in the 60's through the 80's people cared more about the presentation (and would thus pay more) of music than they do now. Why I decided to get into "old" speakers as I have despite being a dude in his early 30's at the time I started. It really is just a commodity and like he later mentioned, the bigger brands are struggling for market share, hence them farming stuff out over seas..

Thanks for posting Rob!
    Last edited by DerekTheGreat; 07-07-2020 at 04:49 AM. Reason: Shout out to Robh!

Quote Originally Posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
    Greg Timbers runs Parasound A21's and Everest DD66000. Interesting. Also gives a nod to Klipsch and Tannoy. I liked reading his response about how speakers have changed over the years:

"Speakers have generally become smoother, more 3-dimensional and much smaller. This means that they are less dynamic on the whole and rather toy like compared to good stuff from the 60s and 70s. Unlike electronics, miniaturization is not a good thing with loudspeakers. There is no substitute for size and horsepower. Nothing much has changed with the laws of physics in the last 100 years so what it takes to make dynamic life-like sound is unchanged. There have been some advances in magnet materials and a bunch of progress in adhesives but not much else."

That's kind of similar to how I felt and my opinion that in the 60's through the 80's people cared more about the presentation (and would thus pay more) of music than they do now. Why I decided to get into "old" speakers as I have despite being a dude in his early 30's at the time I started. It really is just a commodity and like he later mentioned, the bigger brands are struggling for market share, hence them farming stuff out over seas..

Thanks for posting Rob!
    Greg Timbers holds Quick Silver valve power amplifiers in high regard for the horn in the Everest.

Greg’s system has continually evolved and is now quite complex. The sound is absolutely superb.

One of Greg’s recent comments is with Audio is everything matters.

Ian

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA View Post
    The last time this interview came up, I assumed the quoted "4335" should have read 4345. I don't know what a 4335 is. I even commented to the site and got no reply...
    I think you’re right and as for 4331, maybe it was meant to mean the 4330 and 4333 and the consumer version, L300.

The reference to 4335 is a typo. The 2-way 4331 and 3-way 4333, along with the 4315, are models Greg was associated
    with early in his tenure.
    David F
    San Jose

LOL, of course you’re correct! Senior moment re. the 4331/4330 confusion.

What speakers from JBL are you most proud of designing or being a part of?The speakers (or speaker lines) that most stand out are the following, chronologically.
    4331, 4335 and 4315 studio Monitors. They were my very first products around 1973. The L300 is a 4333 in a home enclosure.
    L250 and the 250Ti models. 5 models that ran in production for 19 years.
    The Array series. I did those in the mid 2000's and they are still current.
    The Everest models, DD65000, DD66000, and DD67000.
    I have designed literally hundreds of Loudspeaker systems and individual transducers but those are my favorites.
    We have to assume he said 4333 since he mentions it in the L300 reference. Even though the 4331 and the 4333 are essentially the same box and drivers with the UHF added. If the 4345 wasn't to be included I guess it should have been written:
    "4331/4333 and 4315".
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Mackenzie View Post
    Greg Timbers holds Quick Silver valve power amplifiers in high regard for the horn in the Everest.

Greg’s system has continually evolved and is now quite complex. The sound is absolutely superb.

One of Greg’s recent comments is with Audio is everything matters.

Ian

Do you know, how the Quicksilver is connected to the horn?
    Are they connected with or without any kind of filter?

I am thinking that the on/off "blop" from the Quicksilver cant be good for the driver?

Regards Brian.

Is the Quicksilver mono amp connected direct to the horn?
    or is there some kind of protektion between the amp and horn?

Thread Information