Thread: cleaning 2402s

djrobertc

cleaning 2402s

Hi guys, I just got a pair of 2402s and they seem to have a little of what appears to be a grime on the outside aluminum horn portion of them. I am unsure if this is minor oxidation or not. Does anyone have any suggestions on cleaning them and making them look like new?

Well

What i did a few years ago, was take my bullets apart, competely, and I use Wheel magic aluminum wheel cleaner on the phase plug and horn sections of the tweeter! They came clean, shiny new clean! But, this involves disassembling the entire tweeter, and taking the bullet off, and the horn off!

You can also go to the auto products store and get aluminum cleaning paste, and wipe it on, and wipe it off, this will be easier to use, and do, but wont be as thorough! But youll get the parts that are always seen!
    scottyj

djrobertc
    thanks scotty - you're the best!

PS - I hope you're still going to make that book on disco audio done right. hehe...

Scotch-brite pad works for me, cut in 1" square piece, to polish 'em up.

I don't think they were anodized or clearcoated, just raw aluminum, no?

Hallo DJ !
    I can tell you a much more better look for your 2402, better looking like new. But i can not tell it to you in english only in german. If you are interested let me know.

Helloo Obiwan!

Tell us in German, we have members here who can translate!
    scottyj

?

Quote Originally Posted by Zilch
    Scotch-brite pad works for me, cut in 1" square piece, to polish 'em up.

I don't think they were anodized or clearcoated, just raw aluminum, no?
    They are not anodized, but im not sure if they clearcoated them or not!

I cleaned my bullets, they had been up since 1984 and needed it! They came out looking new! If you want to clearcoat em after cleaning, and have the tweeters completely disassembled, you could!
    scottyj

djrobertc
    I was just going to clean them to get them looking new... I'll pick up some Wheel Magic on the way home today. I'm not familiar with the inside so I think I'm going to just do the outside for now. Eventually I'm sure I'll do the outside.

Using wheel magic!

Robert, you are aware that if you are going to use wheel magic, you should disassemble the entire tweeter!

You can unscrew the horn flare from the unit, and clean it according to the directions of the product! I had the round horn in the sink, sprayed it with wheel magic aluminum cleaner, let it sit for a minute or whatever is recommended, rinsed it with cold water, and towel dried it, after its completely dry, you can remount the horn flare to the tweeter! It will look brand new!

This is how you do it.
    scottyj

djrobertc
    yay! they look great! thanks scotty!!

before:

after:

Cleaning 2402

Hallo!
    Man kann die 2402 Tweeter ganz einfach auf absoluten Hochglanz bringen.
    1) Tweeter demontieren
    2) Die Aluteile zuerst mit 240er , dann mit 320er Schmiergelpapier gätten. Das geht ziemlich schnell.
    3) Jetzt auf 500er Nassschleifpapier wechseln und wieder glätten. Eventuell nochmal mit 800er Nassschleifpapier nacharbeiten.
    4) Im Baumarkt eine Polierscheibe mit Polierwachs (gibt es überall für wenig Geld) besorgen und die Polierscheibe mit der Vorrichtung auf eine Bohrmaschine montieren und die Teile in kurzer Zeit auf ABSOLUTEN HOCHGLANZ polieren

Das Ergebnis ist dann um Klassen besser als die von Djrobertc gereinigten 2402.

Ich könnte auch ein paar Bilder meiner polierten 2402 posten, ich weiß aber nicht wie das hier geht. Ich habe auch noch eine Adresse, wo man den JBL Schrumpflack/ Kräusellack als Sprühdose oder als Lackdose bekommt. Bei Interesse kann ich die Adresse hier posten. Die Farbe ist allerdings nur in schwarz erhältlich.

Quote Originally Posted by scott fitlin
    Tell us in German, we have members here who can translate!

paragon

Try to tr

He said, he uses first 240 Sandpaper and then smooth it with 320 paper.
    After that he takes wet 500 paper and if not good enough wet 800 sandpaper.
    Than take a polishing disk with polishing wax and you get a perfect surface.
    I used only sandpaper and scotch pads. Look. The white points are only dust. The back is paint with a very thin layer of black. This driver was totally damaged before and looked like sh..! "Its alrtight for me, your looks never lies.." "Words often doent come easy"." Always on my mind" (Ten Sharp).

Eckhard
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Well, now we have two ways to clean aluminum 2402,s!

They both look great! Depends on which way you want to do it! Either or!

scottyj

Thread Information