Having had a good run with vintage JBL's and a brief foray with modern JBL's the Arrays have always intrigued me. I am considering a purchase and potential upgrade to my current main speakers. Listening before hand is not an option and I'll be buying blind, not ideal but it's the way it is where I live and can't be avoided.

Before purchasing I want to get opinions on whether the speakers will be an actual upgrade. I currently run a pair of Duntech Sovereign's and have fallen in love with the house sound of the original Dunlavy designed speakers. I have just come from a pair of 4350's and the Duntech's were a significant upgrade. The 4350's have significantly more bass slam but that's the only area I would give them the nod.

The thing the Sovereign's do so well and I just couldn't do with out, the soundstage. They are big speakers but they sound even bigger. The 250TI's did this but nothing like the Sovereign's. The height of the sound stage is as tall as my room will allow. Voices are unrestricted within the image. They render a sound stage as large and open as any modern speaker I have heard. Will the 1400 Array's do the same but with that added punch I want back? I had a pair of S3900's a few years ago and did not like them at all. The bass was excellent but the mid-range had absolutely no color to it and lacked personality. My ancillary components are all neutrally voiced so I don't want the same from my speakers. Do the 1400 Arrays have a bit more spark and personality than the S3900's? I haven't heard a system with the 175ND's that has blown me away. It may be that particular driver just doesn't do it for me.

Not expecting the 1400 Arrays to extend as low as the Sovereign's but that doesn't bother me.