Thread: Current State of the Mermans

Current State of the Mermans

This is the current crossover configuration. Unconventional, but it seems to work well.

And this is the result. The L-pads are run up just before their "stops." If I run the mid up to the stop, I can get a bit of a peak between ~1.6 and 2.6kHz. If I pull it off the stop, as shown, I get a bit of a trough.

Be nice to include a picture of the Merman speakers, just for perspective ...
    Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by toddalin View Post
    This is the current crossover configuration. Unconventional, but it seems to work well.
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post
    Be nice to include a picture of the Merman speakers, just for perspective ...
    Thanks.

The Merman's do something I've not really been able to hear other speakers do and it has to do with imaging. YouTube does not (maybe cannot) convey this.

While it is common to have the soundstage appear to come from a plane behind the speakers, somehow the Merman's are able to generate point sources, in front of the plane. This occurs when an instrument appears in one channel, but not the other (maybe out of phase?). For example, a guitar part may seem to be located in front of the speaker standing proud out there by itself with the remainer of the soundstage behind the speakers. I'm wondering it this is what Polk had been trying to accomplish with the SDA-type speakers.

Maybe the best way to describe it is with a video reference. When you go into the home electronics stores (e.g., Best Buy), and see the TV sets all lined up and they are set on a scene where something in the image appears to stand out, almost 3-D. But they are not 3-D TVs and this is just an illusion created through contrast and ???

I guess I'll need to find a good example and listen to it on the LS3/5As and see if they also do it. The L300s don't, probably because the imaging is too vague.

Hello Toddalin

The Merman's do something I've not really been able to hear other speakers do and it has to do with imaging. YouTube does not (maybe cannot) convey this.
    Yes that is one of the issues I have with those videos. It's like headphones on everything. With the right recordings you can get a really good 3 dimensional sound stage that is really impressive! Perfect example is Roger Waters Amused to Death using QSound?? It's wild and if you have not heard it give it a shot!

I like what the Heils do. I ended up attenuating the back wave using some fiberglass to reduce the ambient field and sharpen up the imaging. I really liked the balance I ended up with in my room. Very enjoyable!

They sounded good. Clean clear and punchy but as you say no sound stage. Looked up the video for the song, what a hoot!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jJkdRaa04g

Rob
    "I could be arguing in my spare time"

I made some changes to bring in the 200-400 Hz a bit more and remove a bit (~2 dB) of the bass.

https://youtu.be/x0Ry39rlaPM

https://youtu.be/2CPK0n6Nw40

I felt the 2241 was too loud so now use a 20 ohm parallel resistor to reduce the volume and made changes to the crossovers to compensate accordingly.

2241 is now crossed at ~320-325 Hz and better meets the 2251.

The 2241 and Heil are on "near perfect" 2nd order Butterworths with a 10KHz 1st order imposed on the Heil for air.

This is why I call them the "Ethyl Mermans."
    https://youtu.be/zS6C6ooYviA

Thread Information