Thread: Paragon installation

Paragon installation

Watch this video

https://youtu.be/rxMpMtN-nI8

Beautiful!

From the choice of automobile to the placement of the audio shrine, this speaks of style over substance. Anyone who's ever heard a Paragon would agree that this system is more for show than for sound quality. Conspicuous consumption.

Still beautiful to see!
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

WOW!

I've never heard one of those things, but they certainly are impressive looking.
    My father, may he rest. used to have a saying; I wish I had that and I had a better one.
    KEEP ON LISTENING!

Listened to one back in the day and much preferred the 001 system to it.
    40+ years of sacrifice...and for what???

Before I even clicked on the Video, I knew this was going to be Japan, and probably one of Kenrick Sound's restos.
    Beautiful!

Just a wild guess, I might say $20,000 maybe even $25,000 after the resto work. Peanuts for the Japanese apparently.

A beautiful home, but a horribly small room to place such a system. About the equivalent size of an average American Bedroom.

Japanese are famous for that though, $100K-$200K system with 4350's, Wilson Grand Slamms, and the like in a room the size of a Bathroom! LOL

They sure love their "American Toys", don't they?

It might be staggering to actually know just how much Vintage JBL resides in Asia?

And to think I could've bought a fresh out of the box Paragon sitting on the floor from MusiCraft on Oak St. in Chicago in '74 or '75 for $3400 and change.

Quite a headache to move around though.

Kenrick's work though is far beyond impressive! The pinnacle of mastery in their work.

Sure wish I had that sort of "Chump Change" laying around.

Where I could pick up the phone, call them, and say, "Hey, you guys know that el minto pair of 4350's you folks got laying around? (Hai!) "Yeah, ship those babies out to me Air Freight, I'll wire the money, and I'll be at the Airport on delivery day (with 3 other guys) to pick them up!" LOL

Then "I" could relegate my 4430's to a "Bathroom System"!

Quote Originally Posted by markd51 View Post
    They sure love their "American Toys", don't they?
    Some sure do.

It might be staggering to actually know just how much Vintage JBL resides in Asia?
    I’ve wondered about this too. Regardless of where it has ended up, I am glad to see so much of this equipment is still in use and being enjoyed.

And to think I could've bought a fresh out of the box Paragon sitting on the floor from MusiCraft on Oak St. in Chicago in '74 or '75 for $3400 and change.
    Or, you could have bought a brand new compact car.

Widget

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    Some sure do.

I’ve wondered about this too. Regardless of where it has ended up, I am glad to see so much of this equipment is still in use and being enjoyed.

Widget
    Or I could've rolled that money, a mere $3500 give or take into CDs back then, never touched it, it would be probably $60-$80K or more today. If wishes were fishes, and how hindsight always has 20/20 vision, how about it! LOL Buy a 1/2 dozen '57 Gibson Gold Top Les Pauls back in the day. Or?

I once sold two special Bass Guitars, a Rick Chris Squire, and an American Fender P Bass Re-Issue in Mary Kaye Finish and where did they wind up? Japan. :-( Probably sold for 3-4 times the money I got over there.

Or, like in that movie "Blast from the Past" such investments in stocks? In Oil, etc?

All in all, I'm not doing too bad, could buy that Paragon cash without too much of a bank account hit if I wanted.

I think I'd rather have something like a new Hyundai Sonata to knock around in though.

I'm saving for new property right now, need a new roof over my head more than anything at present.

One thing I noticed watching this youtube video (fast forwarded through most of it) was how it had a sense of sounding quite live and balanced ... in the living room approach.
    I've had that happen with other rooms/speakers, only to find it quite different in the intended listening space. Granted, the recording was not familiar, but seemed to have potential.

Ears are not microphones and youtube codecs are what they are, but it was still interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    Widget
    >>I think I'd rather have something like a new Hyundai Sonata to knock around in though.

I used to read "road & Track" magazine ... they had classified ads in the back.
    Never forgot an ad for a very nice MB SLR Gullwing for $6k ...mid-1970's

could retire even more nicely on the sale of that buggy today
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

One of my favorite antique-store finds years ago was an NADA car value guide from the '60s. I'll eventually find it again as I slowly move my 36-years of collecting from the old house to the new one, but I distinctly remember the Gullwings at absurdly low values and there were even some two-digit values for cars like the BMW Isetta.

Now it's rare to see a decently restored Isetta bring less than mid-30s to $40k!!
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Oh, don't remind me of my Isetta. Absolutely minty little booger. My father bought a new car and decided he wanted to store it in the garage where I had the Isetta. It was his garage of course, so the Isetta lost out. Sold it a week later for $800. Loved that little car.

Thread Information