Thread: Best repair for stripped out mounting hole in 2405?

Best repair for stripped out mounting hole in 2405?

Greetings, All,

I was checking out my spare 2405's yesterday, and remembered that one of them has one mounting hole that has been stripped out at some time in it's past. It was like that when I bought it, from a Gent in Orange County, CA, many, many years ago. I already had a near mint 2405, and bought the second one, which is obviously not mint(!), to complete the pair. So, what's the best way to repair the stripped-out hole? I first gave thought to taking the driver apart, and then using JB Weld to fill the hole, drill a new hole, and tap it for proper threads, followed by repainting the mounting ring. Anyone have a better idea, or do you think I'm on the right track? Thanks for any suggestions you can offer. I'd love to hear from someone who has actually done a repair like this. Thanks, again, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc
    The only thing that can never be taken away from you, is your honor. Cherish it, in yourself, and in others.

Hi Doc,

I've done some similar "small-hole repair" using J-B Weld and they have come out well.

Like any finish or adhesive, the first fifty steps are the same - clean it....
    Let it fully cure at room temperature and you should be fine. Make sure the hole is fully filled with the epoxy - use a toothpick or such to push it around/through the hole.

Once you have it filled, use Scotch-tape over the back to keep the epoxy contained in the hole and then smooth out and put tape over the front surface. This way you reduce the amount of "surface repair" you have to do. The stuff cures very hard so the more you can do to reduce the amount of excess you later have to remove really helps.

Merry Christmas!
    Wayne
    Share what you know, learn what you don't...

". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Are you talking about the square plate with four mounting holes I've had a handful of those and I always wonder what someone did to pull the threads out of something usually mounted in wood!?!

Time-serts are super cool and we use them all the time at the shop but this part is pretty thin so I have used Heli-coils in mine. In a mill vise it takes about a minute to repair one. Sadly the cost of any thread repair kit is usually unjustified for one fix unless you're desperate.
    If we knew what the hell we were doing, we wouldn't call it research would we.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Mark View Post
    Greetings, All,

I was checking out my spare 2405's yesterday, and remembered that one of them has one mounting hole that has been stripped out at some time in it's past. It was like that when I bought it, from a Gent in Orange County, CA, many, many years ago. I already had a near mint 2405, and bought the second one, which is obviously not mint(!), to complete the pair. So, what's the best way to repair the stripped-out hole? I first gave thought to taking the driver apart, and then using JB Weld to fill the hole, drill a new hole, and tap it for proper threads, followed by repainting the mounting ring. Anyone have a better idea, or do you think I'm on the right track? Thanks for any suggestions you can offer. I'd love to hear from someone who has actually done a repair like this. Thanks, again, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

Sorry, but I am confused as to where the stripped out hole is located. I worked in musical instruments for forty years and encountered many stripped out holes, not only boxes and stuff, but actual musical instruments. Each best fix depends upon the instrument and what kind of broken hole you have to fix.

Give us more info and I will try to help.

Generally, some wood slivers pressed into the broken wood, fixes small wood injuries, depending upon how bad the stripped out wood is damaged. Other materials may need other fixes.

Give us more info.

Are you talking about fixing holes in aluminum? I would use inserts for repairs.

less expensive "meanwhile" solution:

longer bolt (that is otherwise same as the other three) and a lockwasher/nut on the backside.

If you've gone the epoxy route, I'd let the other three bolts hold most of the load (don't torque
    the repaired corner down). Probably obvious, as I expect you've seen your share of metalwork
    repairs...

Hey, Dave,

What you described is exactly how I've got it mounted now. Just thought it was time to fix it a tad more permanently. I still don't see how anyone could have stripped it out, in the first place. Merry Christmas, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc
    The only thing that can never be taken away from you, is your honor. Cherish it, in yourself, and in others.

Timesert is best for stronger repair but a simple Helicoil will probably work in this application and can be trimmed to fit and thickness of metal.
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Hi Doc, I think your original idea is the best plan, especially if your have the JB Weld on hand. If it is mixed up right and fully cured I would think you could tighten it down just like the other 3 holes.

Have fun

Thread Information