Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Equivalent for Moyen RS-3087?

Equivalent for Moyen RS-3087?

Hello.
    I was starting to recone a 2225 but I had to stop short, the glue in my NOS C8R2225 is expired... since 2012

My problem is that I live 30 minutes from the border and I have a mail adress just on the other side where I usually receive all my stock, I just take a drive and get it but now, with the COVID-19 pandemic the border is closed and I have to pay like 30$ for shipping just to bring it to my door and it takes 2 weeks.

Anybody has tried some replacement glue that would be readily available in Canada, that would perform as well and flow as easily (for the dustcap seam)
    Or even better, a source for Moyen in Canada?

Thanks!
    My avatar: 4520 loaded with 2225H on E140 frames,
    1x 2202H on custom front loaded horn, 2x 2426 on 2370.

Digikey.ca seems to be only a web address to sell to Canadians in $CAD. Behind it is the american company and i think they ship from the US... Look at the bottom of your Digikey page link, the local phone number with the 218 area code is in Minnesota, USA.

RE "Or even better, a source for Moyen in Canada?" Well, since recently Harman products are now distributed by Harman Pro Canada, a division of Jam Industries (commonly known as the "Erikson Audio Group" in Canada). Naturally they handle JBL, as well as the other Harman. Jam also owns Ashly btw.

You might do more mileage by contacting Harman Pro Canada. Couldn't get a clear pic of their phones & e-mail addresses page. But go to https://hpc.jamindustries.com/ and at the bottom of page shown here you'll see them all for service, repairs, parts, etc.

Don't know if they sell parts directly to consumers, or they'll refer you to a JBL service center or to a dealer. Let us know for the benefit of all here.

Name:  IMG_1651.jpg
Views: 1031
Size:  79.0 KB

Solotech in Montreal any chance there ?

Hi Macaroonie,

I think the OP should still call Harman Canada first, in case they might sell him a tube directly, avoiding a middle man.

Solo is a JBL dealer and a service center so i assume they have/can get the product. Was told about a year ago they have one guy, always the same, who does speaker repairs there for 25 years or so. And that they use only original parts, not aftermarket ones, so going there for example with your driver and a recone kit you found/bought yourself to have them do the job for you, they won't touch it according to the rep.

BTW Solotech recently "acquired SSE Audio Group, the UK’s largest pro audio services provider in 2018." They want to get closer to you i guess... Regards,

Richard

I gots to boogie , I think they are at my door Eh!

Seems like they are the whiz doing something right. Of course the big markets are in the far east and that other place R----a

As a trader back in the day I always found a polite phone call will get you results.
    You know , ' I need 18 901 recone kits etc,

Yes, good idea, I will contact harman tomorrow.
    As for Digikey, I order from them all the time, they ship from Canada and the stuff arrives in one or two days, very quick. I was just wondering about the glue that the link points to, maybe somebody had insight about that. I'm pretty sure the "Moyen" glue is not manufactured by JBL so obviously it is available under another name somewhere.

Thanks, I'll keep you posted.

Quote Originally Posted by Eaulive View Post

I can confirm this does the job very good, smells the same, feels the same, same viscosity, only problem, it's dark brown, not black so for the dust cap it's no good:-(
    I had a leftover tube of original Moyen so I was able to make the dust cap by squeezing the tube dry and it didn't do a perfect job... oh well it's still a 2225.

I guess a nice and even dark brown seam would have been worse that a not so perfect black seam.

yup, all in the US.
    SHIPPING INFORMATION
    International Shipping Options:

USPS (United States Postal Service)

➡ The rate shown at checkout includes shipping & handling and insurance only. Duty/taxes and other import fees imposed by the receiving country may be required at the time of delivery.

USPS First Class International: No estimated time of arrival, limited to no tracking information. Receipt time depending on country is 10 days to 4 weeks. (Note on shipping to Russia via USPS First Class: insurance does not cover the shipping charge. If your parcel is lost, you will need to pay to have your order re-shipped.)
    USPS Priority Mail International: 6-10 business days to customs with tracking information
    USPS Priority Express International: 3-5 business days to customs with tracking information
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    SHIPPING INFORMATION
    International Shipping Options:

USPS (United States Postal Service)

➡ The rate shown at checkout includes shipping & handling and insurance only. Duty/taxes and other import fees imposed by the receiving country may be required at the time of delivery.

USPS First Class International: No estimated time of arrival, limited to no tracking information. Receipt time depending on country is 10 days to 4 weeks. (Note on shipping to Russia via USPS First Class: insurance does not cover the shipping charge. If your parcel is lost, you will need to pay to have your order re-shipped.)
    USPS Priority Mail International: 6-10 business days to customs with tracking information
    USPS Priority Express International: 3-5 business days to customs with tracking information
    Did you read my first post? they charge an insane amount of money for a little tube and the mail is so f-u these days that I had to wait six weeks from something that usually takes 5-6 days from California. That's why I was looking for a source in Canada

Online forums are full of guys who want to offer completely different solutions to somebody who asks a simple question and asks for help on one _specific_ issue.... don't be that guy ;-)

Did you read my first post? they charge an insane amount of money for a little tube and the mail is so f-u these days that I had to wait six weeks from something that usually takes 5-6 days from California. That's why I was looking for a source in Canada

Online forums are full of guys who want to offer completely different solutions to somebody who asks a simple question and asks for help on one _specific_ issue.... don't be that guy ;-)
    >>>> I have to pay like 30$ for shipping

there appear to be NO online sources in Canada that google knows about.

yeah man ..did you actually calc shipping from US ?

Shipping to Canada.
    Change address
    Total $24.64

that TOTAL = item + shipping is still less than you claim for shipping alone. (item=$9)

sure, almost $15 postage is stupid much , but if you want it, you want it. find somebody else that needs and share costs. Get creative instead of sitting and complaining or do without. rebuilding/repairing vintage gear isn't always cheap.

jeeze , JBL wanted $14 to ship a $10 ball cap to me and I'm in america.
    I ship small boxes very often .. PO rates are nuts anymore

... this is the new crazy 2020 reality.

the thing you may NOT understand, that I found out when going through shipping rates to Canada, is that it is not divided up into multiple zones as the US is....Canada is 1 rate to anywhere in the country. IF an item is going 10 miles or 2,000 , it's all the same rate...
    so they compensate for the cheap rate on long distance by charging too much on short distances. It most likely ends up being too much for most items shipped.
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Sea,

Based on post # 10 the OP doesn't appear to have called Harman Pro Canada as suggested which may (or may not) have sold him a tube directly. So we won't know if its available direct in Maple Leaf country...

As i mentioned previously about your flat rate postal cost to Can this might be due to USPS zip code system not being able to process specific Canadian Alpha Numeric postal codes (e.g. V4H 2Y5) so i guess USPS charges an amount which won't put them underwater for sure.

But the other way around works fine, when i ship to USA shipping cost does vary based on Zip code, size, weight, etc. Canada Post internally is not one big zone, price depends on postal code, size, weight, etc.

As for present crazy shipping rates well i'm waiting for two 12" 10 LB each woofers (not large/heavy ones) from eastern USA to eastern Canada and the shipment cost is a whopping $105.USD. All i asked for is tracking nothing else.

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by RMC View Post
    Sea,

Based on post # 10 the OP doesn't appear to have called Harman Pro Canada as suggested which may (or may not) have sold him a tube directly. So we won't know if its available direct in Maple Leaf country...
    Yes I did call, they have it, 42$ for the 1oz tube. (plus taxes, and it's in Baie D'Urfé, further than my box in NY so nope.)

Anyways, I did the recone already and the glue I found is perfect, Digikey sent it in 36 hours. I had a leftover of Moyen so I was able to do the dust cap.
    Hopefully for my next recone the border will be open and I will be able to get the glue by mail and have it sent to my PObox in NY along with all the other stuff I usually bring in.

Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    jeeze , JBL wanted $14 to ship a $10 ball cap to me and I'm in america.
    I'm in America too, but that's not the point. I just want to find the cheapest way, it's just a hobby. In normal times I would have paid 5$ shipping and get it in a few days, now I have to pay 30$ and it lasts two weeks, for me it's not acceptable.
    Once again. I asked if somebody had an idea, some were helpful suggesting Harman Canada, others offered useless rants and advices that I did not ask neither care for.

Thread Information