Thread: C36 Cabinet Vintage Questions

C36 Cabinet Vintage Questions

I just acquired what I thought was a C36 Viscount with the 030 System (D130, 075, N2600) with serial numbers indicating 1957-59 according to LHS Registry. But, I have some questions about the age of the cabinet (I only got one - which may be a clue to the age). I am not sure if it is the D208 Enclosure shown in the 1951 catalogue, a late 50s C36, or non-factory built cabinet. Legs are sculpted wood - not straight turned legs, but are probably replacement as they are plywood (perhaps birch) with no edge banding. They are installed with gluing dowels that look somewhat modern, and the screw holes in the legs were never used, as there are no corresponding holes in the bottom of the cabinet. Cabinet veneer appears to be mahogany; grille slides in from underneath, and appears to be in an aluminum frame (I have not attempted to remove the grille), there is a Signature logo badge in the lower right corner. There do not appear to be any identifying markings, badges, or SN on the cabinet. Back is removable, drivers are mounted from the inside of the baffle board.

I was going to put on a set of after-market aluminum legs from alpha furnishings, but there are no holes for four individual legs - I am reluctant to drill into it. So, Lansing Heritage gurus, what is it? Here are some more clues:

Why I think the cabinet could be a D208 (or whatever the pre-C36 was called in the 1951 catalogue): the dimensions match exactly, including the depth which was listed at 15 13/16 in the 1951 catalogue only, rather than 15 7/8 for later C36 cabinet -- I checked it several times, but, it is only a 1/16” difference.
    It could be an early C36, before the individual (wood with metal end) legs were used - these first show up in the 1955 catalogue, but the sculpted legs are shown in the 1952 catalogue as a "C36 General Enclosure". Aluminum legs were later.
    Or it could be a DIY built to original JBL plans. I am not familiar with the particulars of JBL factory cabinet construction of this era. All plywood, and there are nails (yes nails) holding the bottom on, and there are angle glue blocks with staples on the inside corners - is this how it was done at the factory? Veneer looks factory. There are no identifying markings, SN, or badges on the cabinet.

Now for the drivers, 16 ohm D130 SN is 30419. 075 is also 16 ohm SN 11705, finally the crossover is an N2600 (with the impedance selector switch for 16/32 ohms), SN 3096. According to the LHS Registry, all three components date between 1957 and 1959. If the cabinet is from the early 50s, were all components replaced in the late 50’s – seems like a long shot.

Oh, almost forgot, it works and sounds great, and was on Craigslist only 3 miles from my house!! Also included was a Rek-o-kut L-37 turntable with 16-inch tone arm, wired mono, which I think dates from 1956, which is in keeping with the age of the drivers. The turntable is mounted to a flimsy board out of a console, which supposedly the JBL was the external speaker for - I did not see the console, so cannot verify this, and could be false info, but it could be a clue as to why there is only one.

So JBL detectives, what do I have? A super early "pre C36" cabinet with (likely) newer drivers? A late 50s C36 with earlier style replacement legs? or something else? Is there a resident expert on this vintage cabinet?
    If these are early and did have the sculpted legs, any idea where I can get a template, or good photos, so I can reproduce them in solid mahogany? Or should I just drill 4 holes and put on the repro legs? Any info on where to drill the holes for the legs?

I look forward to your responses.
    If I don’t get much activity, I may repost this this thread on AudioKarma, where my handle is SabreFencer.

Lansing collection: JBL L44 (2 pair), Home built S12 system, 4311WXA, L26, L15; Altec 887A
    C36,
    Attached Images Attached Images      

The aluminum grille frame looks legit but I have questions about the way the bottom fits to the sides and, as mentioned, I don't remember actual nails being used by JBL. Might be helpful to see the back of the cabinet and the way the crossover is installed. There were probably as many home-built versions in the early days as there were JBL-built cabinets. JBL offered the plans to anyone who wanted to DIY. At some point JBL switched from plywood to MDF/particle board. I have C35s made of both.

The 1951 and 1952 catalogs do show the a cabinet with those legs first called the D208 as it was designed for the 8-inch speaker of that name and then next year called the "36", but the grilled doesn't appear to be as recessed as your later(?) version and, since both predate the 075, the D130 is shown mounted closer to the top making it a full-range cabinet with the one driver. In 1952 the description says it can also be used with a D130. I think the 075 was introduced around '57 or '58.

That probably doesn't add anything to what you already know but you pose interesting questions.
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA View Post
    The aluminum grille frame looks legit but I have questions about the way the bottom fits to the sides and, as mentioned, I don't remember actual nails being used by JBL. Might be helpful to see the back of the cabinet and the way the crossover is installed. There were probably as many home-built versions in the early days as there were JBL-built cabinets. JBL offered the plans to anyone who wanted to DIY. At some point JBL switched from plywood to MDF/particle board. I have C35s made of both.

The 1951 and 1952 catalogs do show the a cabinet with those legs first called the D208 as it was designed for the 8-inch speaker of that name and then next year called the "36", but the grilled doesn't appear to be as recessed as your later(?) version and, since both predate the 075, the D130 is shown mounted closer to the top making it a full-range cabinet with the one driver. In 1952 the description says it can also be used with a D130. I think the 075 was introduced around '57 or '58.

That probably doesn't add anything to what you already know but you pose interesting questions.
    BMW,

Good observations. I got a reply from Elitopus on AK, who pointed me to the C35, C37, C38, C39 document here on LH. This document has dimensions for DIY legs for C36 that match my legs very closely. Since the wood on the legs does not match the veneer on the cabinet, I suspect they are either DIY replacements, or they were added to a cabinet that did not originally come with legs. Since there are no mounting holes for spindle legs, and I prefer the look of the angled legs, I will get some better wood (mahogany ply with edge banding, or solid mahogany) and make a new set. I also may make a duplicate of this cabinet and acquire similar vintage drivers to make a stereo pair. I already have a bid in on an N2600 with a SN less than 300 units from the one I have. Unless you have a single C36, and you are within driving distance of Charlotte NC .
    Elitopus

Elitopus

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA View Post

Here are some photos of the installation of the crossover.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Those cabinets are definitely professionally made, either by JBL , a contracted cabinet shop or weekend warrior. I worked with a cabinet maker who started his apprenticeship in the late 1940's and in the 1990's he was still using nails to assemble cabinets. It was just as fast as a nail gun, but without the hassle of a cumbersome gun and hose.

Thread Information