Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ATTN M2 Owners: How did you get around the amplifier Fan Noise issue?

ATTN M2 Owners: How did you get around the amplifier Fan Noise issue?

I’ve had a pair of M2s now for about a year and a half and I’d really like to do something about the fan noise from the Crown DCI 4|1250n amps.

I’m considering changing to a BSS BLU-50 with normal fanless amps but wondered what others have done.

Thanks
    Paul

One option is of course to have amps in another room.

If that is not possible, then the BLU50 (Or BLU160 with fan mod) is a good option. Then you can use whatever amp you want. BLU50 is limited to 48khz but IMO not a big issue.

JBL SDP-75 and the new Storm Audio processor also have presets for M2 but these are surround products.

Hey Paul,
    I'd be curious just how noisy the DCI 4's are. I have two DCI 2's (same power rating as yours) on my M2's and apart from that initial turn on surge, during actual usage the fans turn on and off but are pretty quiet. I wondered given your have 4 amps in one chassis if that had more fans than the 2 amps I have in mine?

For mine at least once the music starts you can barely hear it. That said, I can understand the pursuit of utter silence for background noise.

Regards
    Jason

Quote Originally Posted by RedCoat23 View Post
    Hey Paul,
    I'd be curious just how noisy the DCI 4's are. I have two DCI 2's (same power rating as yours) on my M2's and apart from that initial turn on surge, during actual usage the fans turn on and off but are pretty quiet. I wondered given your have 4 amps in one chassis if that had more fans than the 2 amps I have in mine?

For mine at least once the music starts you can barely hear it. That said, I can understand the pursuit of utter silence for background noise.

Regards
    Jason
    Hi Jason,
    Just to be clear I use 2 DCi 4|1250n amps and I use all 8 channels of amplification (the SUB18’s are bridged). After I’ve been listening now for an hour or so the fans on both amps are about 75dB 1 meter in front of them and about 67dB in my chair. To me, that is loud enough to be bothersome with the types of music I listen to.

Thanks
    Paul

Hey Paul,

Regards
    Jason
    Remember that dynamic capabilities are defined by the peaks _and_ the low level sounds. So fans in the room will reduce the dynamic range of your system significantly.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonas_h View Post
    Remember that dynamic capabilities are defined by the peaks _and_ the low level sounds. So fans in the room will reduce the dynamic range of your system significantly.
    Exactly, Jonas, and thank you for so articulately describing that point!!! After all, the dynamic range capability is truly what sets the M2s apart from the others (well that and the wave guide providing never a hint of honk).

Paul

Hello Paul

I thought you had a muffler box built to help suppress the fan noise. I agree that is too loud. You have a basement under your room??

Rob
    "I could be arguing in my spare time"

Quote Originally Posted by Robh3606 View Post
    Hello Paul

I thought you had a muffler box built to help suppress the fan noise. I agree that is too loud. You have a basement under your room??

Rob
    Hi Rob,
    Yes it was a home built box out of ¾” MDF and very solid. It must weigh 75 lbs but in the end, it just doesn’t seal off ALL of the noise. My listening room is on the ground floor with a slab and has no adjoining wall where my system is set up. The wall behind the system and to the left and right are outdoors. I’ve even thought of building a weatherproof outdoor box, but now I am thinking of really addressing the issue by finding equipment that doesn’t produce noise on its own.
    Thanks
    Paul

Hi Paul,
    So my amps are adjacent to each speaker (around 9 ft apart). 1m from each amp I'm just hitting 40db.
    When you get into the listening position, it's around 38db so just about background noise. Of course I'm only using 4 channels and not 8 as you are. Secondly mine are not co-located either.

I understand with your values why you built a hush box and are looking for alternate solutions. For me at least the noise level is so low it doesn't bother me.

Best Regards
    Jason

Hi Paul,
    So my amps are adjacent to each speaker (around 9 ft apart). 1m from each amp I'm just hitting 40db.
    When you get into the listening position, it's around 38db so just about background noise. Of course I'm only using 4 channels and not 8 as you are. Secondly mine are not co-located either.

I understand with your values why you built a hush box and are looking for alternate solutions. For me at least the noise level is so low it doesn't bother me.

Best Regards
    Jason
    Hi Jason,
    yes, I’m not sure when you measured yours. I measured mine when the fans were on high after a few hours of listening.
    thanks
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Champster View Post
    Hi Jason,
    yes, I’m not sure when you measured yours. I measured mine when the fans were on high after a few hours of listening.
    thanks
    Paul
    Hey Paul,
    My fans only go on high during initial startup. Once done they go to that level (40db) and I can have the speakers on all day, they never get any higher.
    That said, even though mine are not a concern, I am interested in the results of perceived sound quality differences if you go to the BSS units instead. So please update the thread if that happens

Best Regards
    Jason

I replaced fans on My Previous 4/1250 when useing in the same room.

Quote Originally Posted by baldrick View Post
    I replaced fans on My Previous 4/1250 when useing in the same room.
    I haven’t opened my amps. Do you recall if they were 2 wire fans or 3 wire?

I’m not sure but I would think 3 or 4. I think I had to use org fan terminals and solder them to the new fan since the org is not standard (If i remember correct)

Quote Originally Posted by Champster View Post
    I’ve had a pair of M2s now for about a year and a half and I’d really like to do something about the fan noise from the Crown DCI 4|1250n amps.

I’m considering changing to a BSS BLU-50 with normal fanless amps but wondered what others have done.

Thanks
    Paul

I have the i-tech 4x3500 in a closet next to my listening room. It lives there will all my other gear. I replaced the door with an exterior (metal, foam-filled) door and insulated the walls. I had to add ventilation to the closet due to the heat. Everything is in the basement so I use an inline duct fan to circulate air from the room above through the closet. I can say that I absolutely cannot hear my amps in any circumstances.

Thread Information