Okay, I have some good news.

After a lot thought in terms of the original idea for a configurable active crossover to suit a particular users needs I come up with a novel way of implementing the idea.

In conventional passive and active crossovers we think of multiway systems in terms of is it a two way, three way or four way system?

But suppose for a moment we stop and look at how a user starts to think about his particular system and what he would like to do next?

Or how he might want to build a clone using some alternative drivers or horns. Then the question of the crossover network comes up?

I am seeing more evolution in the use of alternative drivers where newer drivers are available or where a mid range cone driver is now N/A and how to sort out the passive crossover network. Or it might be a new woofer or a large format compression driver. Passive networks are complex to design and also really really expensive to assemble with high quality parts.

Yes this is the problem. I see lots of requests on how to do it.

So what this thing is going to do is allow a user to break down what's going on in his particular loudspeaker system to a level not easily done before in a controlled and precise way. The user is going to be able to experiment with it and do some tweaking. People like to tweak.

I told Greg about it yesterday and this is his reply:

"I really love the idea. You are basically talking about a monster DX-1. Unfortunately the DX1 was not set up for anything more than the crossover function. Your box is capable of so much more".

A Monster DX1.

So in terms of the next steps I am drafting up the overall design. The key has been to find a way of making it work in the practical sense so that only whats relevant is in use.

I nearly fell of my chair when I figured this out.

Back in my days at uni I did some systems analysis and design for a potential career in IT. I ended improving and testing processes for banks. What they do is teach you how to look at systems and break down systems into different levels. What's on the face of it is a simple process.

But under that process you have inputs, more actual processes, interactions with the user and outputs. Passive crossovers are often compromises and often an active crossover doesn't get it right because people don't really understand passive crossovers and how they interact with real drivers.

I have new engineer to assist in the design of the project. He has spent over four decades designing mixing consoles and Hifi equipment, has a number of patents and is currently consulting. The aim is to obtain some really good specifications like really low noise and distortion.

If anyone has any requests on what they would like to do with their system post it here.