Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: STOP PRESS ..... Bombshell

STOP PRESS ..... Bombshell

Nelson Pass now has 4343's and is coming round to active .
    I met him once in Sacramento , lovely man.
    He's very positive re GT.

I always liked his amps.

2122 recones

Here is the video interview and its quite interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zgWJ...ature=youtu.be

Nelson Pass is a fascinating guy and really clever.

If you view the video and are wondering who the acquaintance in Australia Nelson Pass refers to that's me.

The advanced pre launch PR is nice to have.

I will be rolling out more about the product soon with more videos.

Ian

Interesting interview, amp design philosophies, and industry cross-path/relationship stories.
    Nelson's never boring

Looking forward to the upcoming crossover implementation/collaboration... that was quite a circuit board!!

Best regards and success,

-dave

Hi Grumpy,

That young guy can be my PR man...

I am hoping it won't be far off now. There is quite a product story behind this and I hope to put up some aspects of that in an interview format.

On the board its grown to 16.75" wide by 13.25" deep since the last revision.

Its quite a piece of work and is the culmination of lots of discussions, market feedback, international travel, listening in peoples homes and hundreds of emails over the past 3 years.

Some insights for you.

Commercial crossovers are more or less cost driven cookie cutter products and the user has to figure out the rest.

I have gone about it differently in that the product delivers key performance outcomes with exotic analogue circuits in a number of key areas. The product is also scaleable from a simple plug it in make it go situation to catering for the thinking cap type of customer who wants to make adjustments, tweaks and evolve a system over time.

Working out how bring the concept to a design, build and then manufacture has been a significant exercise.

The board can be configured by the factory or the user in a number of ways such as a traditional stereo 3 way tri amp situation, stereo bi amp situation, stereo bi amp situation with sub woofer and special tri amp configurations like the Everest DD67000. In the context of these configurations the user can specify a particular model loudspeaker for bi amp operation and a set of plug in daughter boards are provided which are set up for that specific system. If the customer wishes to make a system fully active that can configured with daughter boards for customised equalisation of low, mid and high frequency drivers. This is all in a single stereo chassis.

A bi amp stereo product is also in the works which will have many of the above concepts. Just a bit less of everything which l should point out is still a lot.

I am happy to answer questions.

If the Mods want move this thread to a more appropriate forum please do.

Hey Ian, any plan to have balanced I/O and slopes/freq. correct for biamping 4345’s? If so, I’m a potential customer!

A really nice guy. At one time (Sept. 2016) I presented my 075/2402 lenses to him and he was very impressed and wished me luck in the endevor. He also asked if I could/would make them in larger sizes.

Quote Originally Posted by Chas View Post
    Hey Ian, any plan to have balanced I/O and slopes/freq. correct for biamping 4345’s? If so, I’m a potential customer!
    Hi Chas,

The board l was referring to does balanced and unbalanced in/out.

On the 4345 yes. The crossover requirements of 4345/4343/4350 and clones with the 2123H will be available. Also the other bi amp monitors and consumer models. Those crossover requirements will also be available in the stereo two way product.

This is pretty exciting Ian , you are a dark horse.
    Best of luck with your project.
    NP is a dude , you are in good company.

M

Dark Horse

We're Ian Mac in a bubble he'd be a dark horse.
    But I have it on good authority that he's had some pretty learned assistance on this project
    I think this is going to be very very special!

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclotronguy View Post
    Were Ian Mac in a bubble he'd be a dark horse.
    Fixed it for you!
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Mackenzie View Post

"...Working out how bring the concept to a design, build and then manufacture has been a significant exercise. …"
    I have to think this a modest understatement! Exciting endeavor none the less.
    David F
    San Jose

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Mackenzie View Post
    Hi Chas,

The board l was referring to does balanced and unbalanced in/out.

On the 4345 yes. The crossover requirements of 4345/4343/4350 and clones with the 2123H will be available. Also the other bi amp monitors and consumer models. Those crossover requirements will also be available in the stereo two way product.
    Very cool, can’t wait to hear more.

That was a great interview and what a nice guy to make himself available for such an in depth interview.

Hi Ian,
    Are you considering an active crossover for the M2/SUB18s? It seems to me that if there were an option for less technically capable audiophiles, JBL would sell a lot more of these speakers to home listeners. Not only would it allow us to step away from fan based amps, it would eliminate the huge learning curve of Audio Architect.

From your reply to Grumpy above, it appears you’re heading down the analog path and as such, would they have fixed crossover points/slopes/etc parameters making for a great plug and play product?

Thanks
    Paul

Hi Paul,

You are correct. The learning curve is a barrier to obtaining optimal results using an active crossover.

I discussed this with Greg Timbers early on in the development of the product. Greg said a plug in card set up for a specific system was much easier way to go for consumer users.

I talked this through with Nelson Pass and we worked towards the concept of plug in active crossover cards. The cards can be set up in a number of ways to create the desired crossover configuration using a unique motherboard. The genius of Nelson Pass at work here.

We will certainly take on board your request for a M2 / Sub crossover configuration. I have put this in the to do bucket for investigation.

The objective is to provide factory set up active crossover cards for specific systems. A range of adjustable cards will be made available for audio amateurs who wish to develop their own systems.

I will host insight webinars for owners of the product and Facebook groups where users can share their experiences and learnings.

The objective is to provide factory set up active crossover cards for specific systems. A range of adjustable cards will be made available for audio amateurs who wish to develop their own systems.

Hello Ian

How are you going to handle CD compensation on horns?? Typical canned CD curves in crossovers are usually a compromise at best. Are you going to have provisions so there are more than one curve and would the curves be adjustable??

Rob
    "I could be arguing in my spare time"

Thread Information