Thread: 10 Most Influential Speakers - Last 50 Years

10 Most Influential Speakers - Last 50 Years

https://www.audioholics.com/loudspea...ntial-speakers

quite interesting since I've experienced many of these.

4310/L-100 included, of course.
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Hah! I watched that too, mostly because I spotted the L100T3's in the thumbnail. Caused me to subscribe to their channel. He also gave a nod to the LX44's, which I have. Highly underrated speaker yet very well built and great sound quality. I think the L150A's are slightly better but it's close. I only spent 1 evening A B'ing them both.

Designed to be attention grabber it seems based on the link:

"Its sound was just as intentionally dramatic and attention-getting as its appearance. Thumping, pounding bass. Detailed, forward mids. (...)

A 1972 test report in High Fidelity Magazine told the story: Although the speaker performed generally quite well, its on-axis frequency response showed a pronounced upper-midrange peak of about 5-8 dB centered around 9kHz. This was obviously quite intentional, since JBL’s engineering capability was second to none and this response characteristic wouldn’t have just escaped by accident. Whether it was done to give the 4310 professional monitor more near-field sonic “detail” to the recording engineer or whether it was done to give the L-100 more retail showroom flash, it was there and it was real."

Quote Originally Posted by RMC View Post
    Designed to be attention grabber it seems based on the link:

"Its sound was just as intentionally dramatic and attention-getting as its appearance. Thumping, pounding bass. Detailed, forward mids. (...)

A 1972 test report in High Fidelity Magazine told the story: Although the speaker performed generally quite well, its on-axis frequency response showed a pronounced upper-midrange peak of about 5-8 dB centered around 9kHz. This was obviously quite intentional, since JBL’s engineering capability was second to none and this response characteristic wouldn’t have just escaped by accident. Whether it was done to give the 4310 professional monitor more near-field sonic “detail” to the recording engineer or whether it was done to give the L-100 more retail showroom flash, it was there and it was real."
    Interesting, years ago I programmed my DSP by ear to achiecve a better sounding for my L-100s, I just went through the settings and I have a bell curve at 2.65kHz/-8.5dB/Q4.41.
    I did that by ear long ago and they were sounding a lot better, we're far from the 9kHz though. That seems more HF than MF to me.

I have however a slow increase of 3dB after 12.5kHz in the settings.

Oh well, they sound better to me like that :-)
    My avatar: 4520 loaded with 2225H on E140 frames,
    1x 2202H on custom front loaded horn, 2x 2426 on 2370.

Hi Eaulive,

I agree that a peak of this magnitude at 9khz would seem weird. However a peak of about the same amplitude at 2.65khz is also a curious thing. Hard to know what they could be trying to achieve either way in my view...

The slow increase you added above 12.5 khz i can understand since i've had a pair of L-26 from similar era (mid 70's or so).

In any case, sounding better to you the way you EQ it is what matters most. Regards,

Richard

Thread Information