Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Borriquito, bluff package

Hollywood "Pop's" Orchestra, Motion In Percussion, 1967, Somerset Germany, 666

Not absolutely true: Perfekte Stereo-Demonstration. "Pop's". Hollywood. Motion in percussion. Supposedly recent stereo recordings.
    True: There are only a few stereo-effects added later. Robert Lowden leader of huge Orchestra. 4 fine Lowden and Kuhn compositions. Too many strings dominate the percussion effects. Recorded in 1960 already (possibly in Mono). It was an easy deal by D.L. Miller again.
    Also true: Today this one is regarded as a "Spaceage-pop-jazz" cult album and NOT as a Stereo-Demonstration LP.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    -= { Creek Destiny | Reson Rota + MM-Ortofon| Epos Encore Speakers | Nessie Washing Machine }=-

Stack, Rock'n'Roll Revival, 1970, Marble Arch England, MALS 1369

The content is not according to the promise. Also England had it's bluff package budget LP products. Especially in Pye Records Studios London many vocal productions were recorded between 1967 and 1972. Many (later) famous musicians made their bread in their early career. Often, for eye-popping cover art, the pictures of the original musicians were also shameless rip off. No Chuck Berry stuff here as supposed. Admittedly, the musicians did a good job and the Pye Studios technique was on top then. Listen to this well-made version of "What'd i say" B6. So at least we enjoy the perfect dynamics and wonder: who contributed these respectable vocals?
    -= { Creek Destiny | Reson Rota + MM-Ortofon| Epos Encore Speakers | Nessie Washing Machine }=-

John Hamilton Band, 28 Beatle-Hits For Teens, 1970, Somerset Germany, 694

What a swizz! Sloppy vocal production. John Hamilton doesn't exist. It's not a band, it's an orchestra. Beatle or Beatles-Hits? It won't be suitable for teens. It's a German low budget production by Les Humphries Singers and James Last. The front cover painting makes me wonder, who is the musician on the right? Looks like Phil Spector, Stan Webb or Les Humphries? Only 3 original members of The Beatles? Mr. Miller didn't care, because he had to catch the money and run...

Bruce Baxter, Tommy (Extraits de l'opera-rock), 1974, Mr. Pickwick France, MPD 008

Mr Pickwick is the cheeky brother of Mr. Miller. A beautiful rock-opera mishandled by synthesizers. Tony Rivers is Tommy. He was a very busy vocalist for budget vocal productions.

Re Beatle-Hits for Teens: The man on the left is also suspect. Who can doubtlessly identify him? The man on the right looks like Ronnie Wood, me thinks .

@ FrtztheCat: You appear to own a considerable collection of low-budget records, don't you? Where are they from?

Best regards!

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz The Cat View Post
    By the way, look at the front cover photo: do you recognize the person on the right?
    Of course. And the man on the left is? Noddy Holder? Angus Young?

Best regards!

Low-budget records

Quote Originally Posted by Kay Pirinha View Post
    Re Beatle-Hits for Teens: The man on the left is also suspect. Who can doubtlessly identify him? The man on the right looks like Ronnie Wood, me thinks .

@ FrtztheCat: You appear to own a considerable collection of low-budget records, don't you? Where are they from?

Best regards!
    Look only for those cheap vocal productions before 1971! On flea markets and in second hand vinyl shops you sometimes may also find them today. I collect these cheapo records since 20 years, also from flea markets around of the region of the Bodensee, in Konstanz, Freiburg, Austria and so on. It seems, that nobody wants to grab them but me. Especially Marble Arch and Somerset records from Pye studios in the end of the 60s are very interesting. The studio conditions there were legendary and nearly perfect for all those rookies then. Who are the singers, this is the question. As example, I have found more than 100 vocal productions of David Byron of Uriah Heep. As example for his abilities: he was the only one who was able to cope with the voices of John Lennon and Paul McCartney. His voice was very multifaceted and characteristic. Look here:http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...l=1#post386030
    I have shown here about 10 of those LPs in January 2016.
    Perhaps you may know this one: http://www.travellersintime.com/Byron/Avenue.html

I fully second your opinion that DB was a very gifted singer, almost in the range of Robert Plant and Freddie Mercury. Anyway, that high-pitched vocal part in July Morning wasn't sung by him, but by Ken Hensley, then the keyboardist with Uriah Heep.

Best regards!

Live 1973

I fully second your opinion that DB was a very gifted singer, almost in the range of Robert Plant and Freddie Mercury. Anyway, that high-pitched vocal part in July Morning wasn't sung by him, but by Ken Hensley, then the keyboardist with Uriah Heep.

Best regards!
    But live! Here:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6SQniO7SnU

July Morning. What a great tune!!! Definitely my favourite song of this band. Listen to Gary Thain's bass lines. But did you notice that this was cobbled together from very different footages and underlayed with the song version from the Live 1973 double LP? So, sorry, not a proof at all. I enjoyed it anyway .

Best regards!

Bluff package

July Morning. What a great tune!!! Definitely my favourite song of this band. Listen to Gary Thain's bass lines. But did you notice that this was cobbled together from very different footages and underlayed with the song version from the Live 1973 double LP? So, sorry, not a proof at all. I enjoyed it anyway .

Best regards!
    You are on the proper thread. As i said: even that is a bluff package, isn't?

Not that unusual. There's the Led Zeppelin DVD from 2003 with a version of Immigrant Song on it that has been done a very similar way.

Best regards!

Elton John, Victim Of Love, 1979, Rocket Germany, 9103 503

This is not the genius of Elton John that i knew before in 1979. This is the dumbest and worst disco junk ever from Pete Bellotte.He once was Donna Summer's producer. Elton, i have forgiven you since many many years. Nobody is perfect. But... sorry, ähem, can i have my money back?

Frank Gibson, Beatles Guitars, 1978, Metronome Germany, 0060.098

Bluff: this guitar "hero" is not Frank Gibson. In fact this is Helmut Franke. At the end of the 60ies he was founding member of Hamburg based beat group "Wonderland" (Achim Reichel, Frank Dostal, Dicky Tarrach, Helmut Franke, Les Humphries). Ex-Rattles, Ex-Tonics.
    All these Beatles song covers on this LP are unnecessary muzak. Two versions to chuckle about: "I feel fine" A1 and "Can't buy me love" A2 are played in southern rock style. Embarrassing and boring. Oh, why did Helmut? Endorser contract with Gibson guitars?

Karthago, Requiem, 1983, OK Austria, 76 23568

Deceit: this is not what you expect, but it's not a serious damage. It's not the famous Krautrock band "Karthago", which was one of the best rock bands in Germany in the 70ies. In fact these very capable Hungarian musicians ripped off their band name without any consequences. But it's not a big sacrifice, because it's an amazing find. A rare one. It's not Krautrock indeed, but it's a perfect Szegedin Goulash: originally cooked also with Sauerkraut. For the genuine Kraut recipe look here:http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...l=1#post430189

Thread Information