Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ME 150HS Aquaplased surrounds 20 yrs old now.

After a bit more questioning the owner said they were used many years ago. Then they were sent to JBL when the service was still available for a complete re-cone. And since then never used. So, this does not sound so interesting after all. I guess I will just wait it out. Even if offered a proven new pair it still begs the question as to is it time or use that kills the surrounds. At this point I guess I will wait and address the problem if/when it occurs. So far so good. Not too worried about those magnets though, I'll tell you that!

Thanks
    JBL S3100, VPI HM19 MKIV w/SAMA, Moerch UP4 ,Hana ML cart, Blackdog VTP , Audio Note M2 line stage, Perreaux PMF 1850.

Quote Originally Posted by Bernard Wolf View Post
    After a bit more questioning the owner said they were used many years ago. Then they were sent to JBL when the service was still available for a complete re-cone. And since then never used. So, this does not sound so interesting after all. I guess I will just wait it out. Even if offered a proven new pair it still begs the question as to is it time or use that kills the surrounds. At this point I guess I will wait and address the problem if/when it occurs. So far so good. Not too worried about those magnets though, I'll tell you that!

Thanks
    It is time, not use that kills the surrounds. I’ll bet you could take a new speaker and play it for 5yrs straight and the surround would still be fine, though the spider would be worn. Take the same speaker, leave it in your room, unplayed, for 20 years, and the foam will quickly become one with your carpet at the first sign of bass. I have a pair of 25yr old monitors that are still sealed in their boxes. I’ll bet if we opened them now, the foam would look intact but would very quickly fail. Yes, there is some overlap in the middle due to conditions - dry vs, wet, etc, but I don’t think use has much to do with it, except maybe at the last 10%, when touching the foam may fool you into thinking it is still intact, but using it will cause it to shed.

I have a few pair of ME-150H’s, some have failed foam, and some have not (yet), but other than originality, I don’t know what the big deal about the aquaplas on the surrounds is. If it was magic, why didn’t they put it on any other speaker? I suspect they only used it on speakers destined for the Japanese market, because that market takes being detail oriented and turns it into superstition. If you think you need a spare pair of woofers, factory reconed is about as good as you’re going to get, but there’s nothing but foam that’s going to fail on those woofers unless you abuse them. Btw, what condition is the foam in the back cups of your 2425’s? Might be good to check.
    That the internet contains a blog documenting your life does not constitute proof that your existence is valid. Sorry.

ME150H cabinet plan

As the "Seller" on the topic, may I hijack the thread by asking "ME150H cabinet plan"?

I have a pair of Altec model 19's which I really like. So I am thinking to do a configuration like:

Altec 511B/802-8G
    JBL 2405
    ME150H

Something like this but replace 2235H with ME150H

Name:  G8Im4ubWoqPkx5qIZjdrfFtGhjZqK2GRXYJkGqmoty4.jpg
Views: 425
Size:  118.0 KB

https://www.reddit.com/r/diyaudio/co...l_2235h_altec/

Any help will be appreciated
    Tim

HCSGuy: Well, I'm not ready to take my speakers apart to check that out; quite the job! The treble sounds just fine to ME, so I will leave good enough alone .

Thanks
    Last edited by Bernard Wolf; 01-20-2021 at 04:54 PM. Reason: correction
    JBL S3100, VPI HM19 MKIV w/SAMA, Moerch UP4 ,Hana ML cart, Blackdog VTP , Audio Note M2 line stage, Perreaux PMF 1850.

Quote Originally Posted by timca View Post
    As the "Seller" on the topic, may I hijack the thread by asking "ME150H cabinet plan"?

I have a pair of Altec model 19's which I really like. So I am thinking to do a configuration like:

Altec 511B/802-8G
    JBL 2405
    ME150H

Something like this but replace 2235H with ME150H

Name:  G8Im4ubWoqPkx5qIZjdrfFtGhjZqK2GRXYJkGqmoty4.jpg
Views: 425
Size:  118.0 KB

https://www.reddit.com/r/diyaudio/co...l_2235h_altec/

Any help will be appreciated
    Tim
    Wow!! Those look fabulous! And you made them yourself.. amazing. I think that there is a thread here on the 3100 built by Mathias. Somewhere there the dimensions had been calculated. Good Luck!

Thread Information