Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Any one interested in L300/4333 clone builds?

Nice job Tim. I just made solid infills and rolled the veneer up and over .
    Nice and easy and looks just fine.
    Having said that I was using 1/4 sawn oak veneer so it would have been tricky to get the solid pieces to match in.
    Great work from the cabinet shop back in the day.

Quote Originally Posted by tjm001 View Post
    I understand your frustration Mike. I too had struggled for some time as to how I was going to do it. For me the easy way was to do the 1 inch round-over of the walnut pieces against a fence on a router table. It's not only easier, but a lot safer too! Then I cut a relief groove on the underside of them just like on a piece of hardwood flooring. This ensures a tight fit against the edge of the veneer. I then glued and screwed them from the inside of the box AFTER the veneer was applied. I let them overlap the veneer face by just a hair. Just so you can barely feel it with your fingertips. Then carefully use a cabinet scraper to blend the solid edge pieces flush with the face of the veneer. Piece of cake!

If you want a router table cheap I'm only a couple of hours southwest of you in northern Virginia. PM me if you want any more info. Be happy to help in any way.
    TomAttachment 86665
    Yes would be interested in the table..
    yes that would work as well. Can't quite picture the relief groove and you say you installed them after the boxes were assembled? any build pics you can share. I was thinking to make the side panels shorter the width of 2 x walnut trim and add them to the panels as rectangular pieces and treat them as part of the panel when doing the rabbet /dado etc..
    Many ways to accomplish the procedure I guess. I imagine after several build a method will settle in on what you are comfortable with. But I like your method but I cannot envision the steps
    mk

I understand your frustration Mike. I too had struggled for some time as to how I was going to do it. For me the easy way was to do the 1 inch round-over of the walnut pieces against a fence on a router table. It's not only easier, but a lot safer too! Then I cut a relief groove on the underside of them just like on a piece of hardwood flooring. This ensures a tight fit against the edge of the veneer. I then glued and screwed them from the inside of the box AFTER the veneer was applied. I let them overlap the veneer face by just a hair. Just so you can barely feel it with your fingertips. Then carefully use a cabinet scraper to blend the solid edge pieces flush with the face of the veneer. Piece of cake!

If you want a router table cheap I'm only a couple of hours southwest of you in northern Virginia. PM me if you want any more info. Be happy to help in any way.
    TomAttachment 86665
    I forgot to mention.... Did you not use the 1/2" X 1" walnut pieces that meets up with the glass top?

mk

Cross section of 1x2 inch walnut edge pieces

Quote Originally Posted by JBLPRO View Post
    ...Can't quite picture the relief groove and you say you installed them after the boxes were assembled? any build pics you can share...
    mk
    Name:  WalnutPiece2.jpg
Views: 1125
Size:  158.1 KB

This is a crude drawing of the cross section of the 1x2 inch solid walnut edge pieces with the 1 inch radius. The relief groove on the flat side ensures that the narrow lip close to the radius end presses tight against the edge of the veneer. Hope this makes sense. I'll post more pictures of actual construction. I used a rather unusual method of constructing the boxes. I used to have a small sawmill so I had a bunch of red oak on hand that I milled into 3/4 x 2 1/4 pieces for joining the sides of the boxes. I used a lot of "Kreg Jig" construction as you will see in the pictures to follow. And I did use one small piece of particle board on the top of the boxes. The rest of the sides are all Baltic Birch.

Tom

...Can't quite picture the relief groove and you say you installed them after the boxes were assembled? any build pics you can share. I was thinking to make the side panels shorter the width of 2 x walnut trim and add them to the panels as rectangular pieces and treat them as part of the panel when doing the rabbet /dado etc..
    Many ways to accomplish the procedure I guess. I imagine after several build a method will settle in on what you are comfortable with. But I like your method but I cannot envision the steps
    mk
    Here are construction pictures. You can see in one of them the walnut edge piece is installed in the bottom left. It is secured by gluing and screws from the inside of the box that draw it up tight so that that little lip is against the edge of the veneer.

Name:  IMG_0282.jpg
Views: 1105
Size:  110.5 KBName:  IMG_0283.jpg
Size:  58.8 KBName:  IMG_0284.jpg
Views: 1130
Size:  85.7 KBName:  IMG_0295.jpg
Views: 1050
Size:  93.7 KBName:  IMG_0298[1].jpg
Views: 1009
Size:  91.2 KB

... Can't quite picture the relief groove and you say you installed them after the boxes were assembled? any build pics you can share...
    mk
    Here are a few more. And I forgot to tell you that the grills are the hardest part!

Name:  IMG_0299[1].jpg
Views: 990
Size:  105.1 KBName:  IMG_0301.jpg
Views: 979
Size:  118.6 KBName:  IMG_1275.jpg
Views: 900
Size:  109.2 KB

Proper job Tim. 👍

Quote Originally Posted by macaroonie View Post
    Proper job Tim. 👍
    I was on the grills all day today! And I just did the inner frame pieces. I made enough grill corner blocks for 6 pair. 48 in total! I also made the top rails and all the support blocks(6 per grill) I made the 2 radius's( 5/8" top 7/8" bottom of the corner block. I found that when making the blocks (1.25 x 1.25 x 2 1/8" ) drawing the 7/8" radius on the bottom of the block and the 5/8" radius on the top of the block helped a great deal when sanding down the round taper. Yes, The grills are a bit tricky(no beer drinking here) so many parts and that damn 87 degree angle! ARGH! But... the result is just beautiful! I made my grill inner frames a bit different. Ill post pics soon...

cheers,

mk

Name:  WalnutPiece2.jpg
Size:  158.1 KB

This is a crude drawing of the cross section of the 1x2 inch solid walnut edge pieces with the 1 inch radius. The relief groove on the flat side ensures that the narrow lip close to the radius end presses tight against the edge of the veneer. Hope this makes sense. I'll post more pictures of actual construction. I used a rather unusual method of constructing the boxes. I used to have a small sawmill so I had a bunch of red oak on hand that I milled into 3/4 x 2 1/4 pieces for joining the sides of the boxes. I used a lot of "Kreg Jig" construction as you will see in the pictures to follow. And I did use one small piece of particle board on the top of the boxes. The rest of the sides are all Baltic Birch.

Tom
    Not sure if you saw " i am interested in the router table"

mk

Not sure if you saw " i am interested in the router table"

mk
    I'll send you a personal message (PM).
    Tom

Thread Information