Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 250ti left and right speaker sound very different

250ti left and right speaker sound very different

Hello! I`ve had my 250ti(the first version) speakers for 7-8 years and have always feelt like there`s quite a big difference between the left and right speaker. First I thought it was the room but now I have realized that it must be something else. Previously I used the different crossover settings to compensate for the differences but now I would like to fix it once and for all. I`ve switched the left and right on the amp to eliminate that it would something with the signal to the speakers.

It`s mainly the 044ti that sound way different compared to the other speaker(very dull compared to the other). I`ve diassembled the 044ti to check if it was the foam pad but it`s the same issue even with a new foam pad. The only thing left would be the crossover. Maybe some component have failed or if a solder joint is broken.

How can I check the crossover and what kind of equipment is needed? It seems to be a big job to remove the crossover from the speaker. Anyone that have experienced similiar issues?

Have you done any measurements? that will accurately tell u if they are indeed different and at what frequency/driver.

Quote Originally Posted by jmpsmash View Post
    Have you done any measurements? that will accurately tell u if they are indeed different and at what frequency/driver.
    That sounds like a good way to confirm how they perform. But that’s something I’ve never done before so please share some information how that can be done in a simple way without any expensive equipment.

Quote Originally Posted by limpan View Post

That sounds like a good way to confirm how they perform. But that’s something I’ve never done before so please share some information how that can be done in a simple way without any expensive equipment.
    There are many ways to measure your speakers at several price points from virtually free to spending thousands on dedicated equipment. To gather accurate measurements takes a bit of study as well as having the gear.

To make simple comparative measurements between two speakers, you can use an iPhone or iPad with the built in mic and a $10 app from Studio Six Digital. https://www.studiosixdigital.com

On a separate topic, have you exchanged the two tweeters, moving the left tweeter to the right tweeter location and vice versa to see if the changes follows the tweeter?

Widget

Since you only care about the difference between 2 speakers you can probably make do without fancy measurement microphone. Look up AudioTool for Android. You then connect your phone audio output to your amp and it will generate a frequency sweep and measure the response from the speakers. cost a few bucks but it is worth it. Alternatively, you can use REW for the PC but the process is a bit more involved and you need a microphone that connects to your computer.

If needed I can spend around $100 to get required software/hardware but as you mention I will just do this to evaluate the difference between the speakers so maybe not required to spend that much. I have a Rode video mic that I could try. Or what do you think?

When it comes to the crossover, have anyone experinced any issues that could cause this? All the cables, caps, resistors and other components looks visually ok from what I can see.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    There are many ways to measure your speakers at several price points from virtually free to spending thousands on dedicated equipment. To gather accurate measurements takes a bit of study as well as having the gear.

To make simple comparative measurements between two speakers, you can use an iPhone or iPad with the built in mic and a $10 app from Studio Six Digital. https://www.studiosixdigital.com

On a separate topic, have you exchanged the two tweeters, moving the left tweeter to the right tweeter location and vice versa to see if the changes follows the tweeter?

Widget
    I have’t tried switching the tweeters but I will try to do that this weekend.

If needed I can spend around $100 to get required software/hardware but as you mention I will just do this to evaluate the difference between the speakers so maybe not required to spend that much. I have a Rode video mic that I could try. Or what do you think?

When it comes to the crossover, have anyone experinced any issues that could cause this? All the cables, caps, resistors and other components looks visually ok from what I can see.
    If you have a Rode, it is more than good enough. Just download REW and do some measurement. It is free software.

Assuming your speakers have the shorting bars on the crossover, remove them all and polish with steel wool, then re-tighten them snugly. Some folks have gone to replacing the bars with copper wire.

Quote Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
    Assuming your speakers have the shorting bars on the crossover, remove them all and polish with steel wool, then re-tighten them snugly. Some folks have gone to replacing the bars with copper wire.
    I’ve done that a couple of times over the years but problem remains. It also seems like some of them are spinning and I’m afraid that could be the reson for my problem. If they spin I guess there is a big risk that the connections/wires on the inside are/will be damaged.

I’ve done that a couple of times over the years but problem remains. It also seems like some of them are spinning and I’m afraid that could be the reson for my problem. If they spin I guess there is a big risk that the connections/wires on the inside are/will be damaged.
    If you have bad connections to the cross over you should have heard that in all drivers, not only in the tweeter I guess.
    If swapping the speaker cable you also could find out that the issue really is in the speaker and not in your amp.

Mr. Widgetś tips was what I was thinking of too.
    Flodstroem

Quote Originally Posted by Flodstroem View Post
    If you have bad connections to the cross over you should have heard that in all drivers, not only in the tweeter I guess.
    If swapping the speaker cable you also could find out that the issue really is in the speaker and not in your amp.

Mr. Widgetś tips was what I was thinking of too.
    Possibly, but there are 3 separate shorting bars that each have 3 screws and each shorting bar can be mounted in 3-4 different positions. So I guess that it is also possible to have a bad connection that only affect a part of the crossover.

So I guess that it is also possible to have a bad connection that only affect a part of the crossover.
    correct.

you can of course remove the HF bar and just short across it with wire , I made cutouts of the bars from copper sheets and used those.

to see if the spinning posts are contacting the xover, the only way to see is: lay the speaker on their backs and remove the woofers.
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

IF you're tweeters sound the same when out of circuit using high-passed pink noise...

...and you have a PC with REW, you could also run its sweep (amplified) into the speaker and receive signal via the mic input of the computer sound card:
    Replace the tweeter with a 8 ohm resisitive load and get your response/input signal from across that... just keep the levels low.

This will show you differences between speakers regarding what is fed -to- the tweeter.

Could do a similar thing with a tweeter-range tone and an AC voltmeter (that works in the kHz range)

Or, unplug all the other speakers and then move the input terminals around to see if there is a loss or cut out of volume. Use music or pink noise.

Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    correct.

you can of course remove the HF bar and just short across it with wire , I made cutouts of the bars from copper sheets and used those.

to see if the spinning posts are contacting the xover, the only way to see is: lay the speaker on their backs and remove the woofers.
    The woofer is already removed but since the crossover is built the way it is I can’t see any of the incoming connections since they are hidden by the pcb board that is mounted on top of them. The only way to check them is to get the crossover out and also disassemble parts of the crossover.

I will do the test sweep first and compare the results before I do something else.

Thanks for the great support.

Thread Information